Communal Violence in South Thailand

Galaxy

Country flag
Bombs mar start of Ramadan in Thai south

NINIEK KARMINI | AP || Sunday 22 July 2012

JAKARTA, Indonesia: Two bomb blasts greeted the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in Buddhist-dominated Thailand on Saturday and one person was reported killed and seven were wounded.

The holy month started ominously in the southern region, where most Thai Muslims live and where fighting has claimed thousands of lives. The car bombing started fires at shops and residences and sent black smoke wafting from a row of four-story buildings in a commercial area of Sungai Kolok in Narathiwat province.

Seven people were injured, including four who were briefly trapped on the roof of a burning building, said police Col. Maitree Chimcherd. He said rebels hid the homemade bomb in a pickup truck parked in front of a computer store.

On Thursday night, a roadside bomb killed a villager and wounded his companion while they were hunting for squirrels in the woods in Yala province, said police Col. Wichai Jaengsakul.

Still, residents of Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani provinces flocked to local markets Friday to shop for fresh and dried fruit including date palm to be consumed at dusk after the first day of fasting ends.

Elsewhere in Asia, Muslims have begun fasting, albeit at different times. While Muslims in Thailand began fasting on Friday, Malaysians, Indians, Pakistanies and Bangladeshis started on Saturday.

Ramadan's start varies because Muslim countries and groups use different ways of calculating when the new moon crescent is sighted.

The Muhammadiyah group, Indonesia's second-largest Muslim organization, told its 30 million followers that Ramadan starts Friday. The government, however, declared the official start as Saturday, when most of the remaining 190 million Indonesians began the dawn-to-dusk fast.

Muhammadiyah, which uses calendar-based astronomical calculations, believed that the crescent should have appeared after sunset on Thursday. But the government argued it could not be seen by eyes or telescopes, hence Ramadan has to start Saturday.

The Muslim holy month devoted to dawn-to-dusk fasting, prayers and good deeds culminates with the three-day holiday of Eid Al-Fitr.
Muslims believe God revealed the first verses of the Qur'an to the Prophet Muhammad during Ramadan, which starts with the sighting of the new moon. The Muslim lunar calendar moves back through the seasons, so Ramadan starts 11 days earlier each year under the Western calendar.

In Malaysia, where nearly two-thirds of the population is Muslim, people began observing the holy month with special Qur'an-reading and prayer sessions to proceed nightly throughout the month.

The start of Ramadan is often quiet in Malaysia, with excitement peaking in the final week, when people buy new clothes, food and other supplies to celebrate the end of the holy month.

Many hotels in Kuala Lumpur have begun advertising promotional dinners featuring roast lamb, savory curries and sumptuous cakes for more affluent Muslims to break their fast, while in numerous neighborhoods, entrepreneurs will set up evening stalls for customers to purchase cooked rice, meat and vegetables to bring home for their families.

Homemaker Karina Hassan said this Ramadan might be significant for her family because her 8-year-old daughter could try fasting for the first time. "She might try to fast for half a day at first," Karina said. "She's always hungry 24 hours a day, so fasting could be tough for her."

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak urged his country's Muslims to set aside their political differences during Ramadan and foster unity among believers. Political rhetoric and mudslinging has intensified in Malaysia over the past year ahead of national elections that must be held before mid-2013.

Pakistan's government has promised there will not be any power blackouts during the key hours when people are preparing for their fast or during the evening when they pray and break their fasts.

"If there is electricity or no electricity, people do fast, and they fast with patience," said Shah Mohammed, who sells nuts in the Pakistani capital of Islamabad. "Allah gives you patience."

Parts of India, where about 13 percent of the 1.2 billion people are Muslim, started Saturday, including New Delhi and the Indian portion of Kashmir.

The largest Muslim rebel group in the predominantly Catholic Philippines said fasting began on Saturday.

A cease-fire has curtailed fighting and fostered peace talks between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in recent years. Rebel spokesman Von Al Haq said the guerrillas would observe Ramadan but still defend themselves if attacked.

The Philippine military traditionally orders troops to refrain from offensives that could disrupt Ramadan in the southern regions where minority Muslims live. Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda released a statement expressing solidarity with and goodwill toward Filipino Muslims in the holy month.

Bombs mars start of Ramadan in Thai south | ArabNews

Last edited by a moderator:

Galaxy

Country flag
Any news who did it?
The attacks have been regarded by most major news outlets as part of the broader South Thailand insurgency. While no terrorist organization took responsibility for the bombings, the most likely culprit is the Gerakan Mujahidin Islam Pattani (GMIP) separatist movement, which is a splinter group of the Gerakan Mujahidin Pattani.

According to security sources, Sahudin Tohjehmae was suspected to carry out the three bomb attacks with the help of Saifulloh Sahfru, a terrorist suspect who is a friend of Faisol Hayisama-ae, who was suspected of carrying the bomb attack at Hat Yai International Airport in 2005.
2012 Southern Thailand bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Thailand insurgency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thailand Islamic Insurgency

Police say CCTV footage may shed light on car bomb blast in South
Thailand government didn't gave it's final verdict on this particular incident. But as per track record, Trend. Most likely, it will be one of the Islamic group. Bomb blast took place in Buddhist dominated Thailand.

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
2012 Southern Thailand bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Thailand insurgency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thailand Islamic Insurgency

Police say CCTV footage may shed light on car bomb blast in South
Thailand government didn't gave it's final verdict on this particular incident. But as per track record, Trend. Most likely, it will be one of the Islamic group. Target were again Buddhist dominated Thailand.
No surprise. :rolleyes:

So once again Religion of Peace doing piece-full deadly bomb blasts. :namaste: :rolleyes:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What a way to go!

Not a moment of peace!

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Bomb leaves six dead in Thailand's restive south

Bomb leaves six dead in Thailand's restive south

At least six people have been killed and 40 others injured by a bomb explosion near a market in Thailand's restive south, police say.

The bomb went off after gunmen opened fire at a shop in Sai Buri district, Pattani province, drawing in onlookers, officials say.

The incident happened after Friday prayers in the mainly Muslim region.

A separatist insurgency in Thailand's south has killed more than 5,000 people since it flared up again in 2004.

Successive Thai governments have launched initiatives to try to end this conflict, some using military force, some offering negotiations.

But none has made any progress with an entrenched, village-based insurgent movement which has no public face and makes no claims or demands, reports the BBC's Jonathan Head in Bangkok.

The Thai security forces have demonstrated little capability to fight such a movement, which remains attractive to young Malay Muslim men, and has been able to prosper from the corruption and lawlessness that is characteristic of Thailand's border regions, adds our correspondent.
Source: BBC

Religion of peace adherents in Thailand: ~ 6% of total population
Religion of peace adherents in neighboring Malaysia: ~62% of total pop.

Blackwater

Re: Bomb leaves six dead in Thailand's restive south

is it part of global anti -Islam propaganda ???:confused::confused::confused:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

^^ You re supposedly in The Netherlands, in the coming decades you will feel it too, then you can decide for yourself.
Though I hope, the situation doesn't get that worse.
If anything, I think Western politicians are too scared of saying anything against Islam.

Blackwater

^^ You re supposedly in The Netherlands, in the coming decades you will feel it too, then you can decide for yourself.
Though I hope, the situation doesn't get that worse.
If anything, I think Western politicians are too scared of saying anything against Islam.
No, iam in Netherlands not supposedly .

rest kya bola samaj nahi aya:confused::confused:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

No, iam in Netherlands not supposedly .

rest kya bola samaj nahi aya:confused::confused:
I m just saying that there is going to be a conflict between the West and Islam, because of which there will be incidents like these and demands for implementation of Sharia etc in parts of Europe. At that time you can decide if it's just anti-Islamic propaganda or the separatist desires of certain Islamists and their urge to impose Sharia when they have numerical superiority.

Blackwater

I m just saying that there is going to be a conflict between the West and Islam, because of which there will be incidents like these and demands for implementation of Sharia etc in parts of Europe. At that time you can decide if it's just anti-Islamic propaganda or the separatist desires of certain Islamists and their urge to impose Sharia when they have numerical superiority.
West is very smart i tell u.forget sharia law.there are few fools who demand shariya .but u can not beat gora mind.

mind it, goras ruled the world and will rule the world

that red is matter of concern ,but iam sure goras will tackle it

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

West is very smart i tell u.forget sharia law.there are few fools who demand shariya .but u can not beat gora mind.

Hopefully, but the fear of being politically incorrect is getting in the way in the West as well as in the East.
People fear to say anything(even if it is the truth), that might slightly offend another person.

KS

Bye bye DFI

Europeans were THE most cruel/ruthless people if history is taken into account. Islam is actually not as ruthless as the Europeans were. Now the Europeans may all appear huffy-puffy-pansy about Islam. But once they decide that this is actually a problem, they will solve it the old fashioned way. No prisoners taken.

I read a very good article about the European mindset about this very problem...but unable to find it right now.

Blackwater

Europeans were THE most cruel/ruthless people if history is taken into account. Islam is actually not as ruthless as the Europeans were. Now the Europeans may all appear huffy-puffy-pansy about Islam. But once they decide that this is actually a problem, they will solve it the old fashioned way. No prisoners taken.

I read a very good article about the European mindset about this very problem...but unable to find it right now.
problem is not western people.they are very accepting . in fact they give citizenship to all these Muslims immigrants unlike arabs.

problem is these most of the Muslim want their Islamic rules implement in western countries which is not accepted

blank_quest

Country flag

problem is not western people.they are very accepting . in fact they give citizenship to all these Muslims immigrants unlike arabs.

problem is these most of the Muslim want their Islamic rules implement in western countries which is not accepted

KS

Bye bye DFI

I never said that was a problem. The Europeans are out of their colonial days and are accepting immigrants and are also espousing multiculturalism and all. But scratch the surface and they are still the same people who ruled the world not long before. You dont get to rule the world by being saintly. What these Muslim immigrants are doing is scratching their surface.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

I never said that was a problem. The Europeans are out of their colonial days and are accepting immigrants and are also espousing multiculturalism and all. But scratch the surface and they are still the same people who ruled the world not long before. You dont get to rule the world by being saintly. What these Muslim immigrants are doing is scratching their surface.
I don't divide people as saintly and demonic, or cruel and merciful, I see them as capable and incapable. Scratch the surface and we re all, everyone of us, the same, i.e. animals hiding under a clock of deceit and decency.
The thing is, in the coming conflict, I feel I'm justified choosing the Western side.

And please do post the article if you find it.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI

I don't divide people as saintly and demonic, or cruel and merciful, I see them as capable and incapable. Scratch the surface and we re all, everyone of us, the same, i.e. animals hiding under a clock of deceit and decency.
The thing is, in the coming conflict, I feel I'm justified choosing the Western side.

And please do post the article if you find it.
Honestly I dont think, WE , atleast not a majority of us, are capable of that. :(

Tronic

lool.. Eh lullay di masjid tah main band karauna...

I will tell him what is right religion and what is wrong.. :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles