Cold Start: A Pakistani perspective

dave lukins

Professional
Dave

There was a discussion that the IBG would involve assets (about 70 to 80 squadrons, I think) from the Air Force, which means joint operations. Yet the IAF chief insisted that the IA and IAF units, even though working together, would still report to their service organisations instead of a single entity.

I believe there was some heartburn about that. Since then, it is notable that a Joint Operations Doctrine has been published, though I have no clue if it allows the COld STart objectives to be realised
I hope that it has not been held up by huge egos. Joint and equal ranked Officers must surely bang heads together on this and get it sorted out. Now Pakistan is on the back foot, due to 'operations' somewhere else, this is exactly the right time for India to strengthen LoC and make it watertight. "While the cat's away the mouse will play":wink:

Officer of Engineers

Professional
If opportunity arise,why not beyond?
Brigadier,

Mainly because I cannot think of one. Sir, can you at least provide a theoritical example and the prep work required to jump over 200 kms?

I am not trying to get you to compromise OPSEC but I do not visualize what you are saying.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Colonel,

All I am saying is that the Cold Start concept has the in built flexibility to convert to the Sunderjee Doctrine.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I hope that it has not been held up by huge egos. Joint and equal ranked Officers must surely bang heads together on this and get it sorted out. Now Pakistan is on the back foot, due to 'operations' somewhere else, this is exactly the right time for India to strengthen LoC and make it watertight. "While the cat's away the mouse will play":wink:
Dave,

Inter services rivalry is common in most countries and India is no exception.

That is the reason why the CDS concept too is floundering and cosmetic.

I don't think India will attack Pakistan now, since it will 'upset the apple cart' and the toey toey she is playing with the US!

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Colonel,

All I am saying is that the Cold Start concept has the in built flexibility to convert to the Sunderjee Doctrine.
Sir,

Situation understood but again, no OPSEC crompomize, how comfortable is the InA with the immediate mission crepe?

Sir, I just want to get a feel of what you are suggesting. I am not asking for any OPLAN.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Cold Start has decreased the time for offensive operations because those formations which are to implement the same are bang on the border.

The Operations in 1971 took time because Manekshaw insisted that the shortage in weaponry be made up, i(ncluding new weapon system from abroad) if the aim is to be met.

Israeli heavy Mortars (we had no ties with Israel and so Lt Gen Jacob [a Calcutta Jew officer] was sent]), the Energa Grenades etc were bought.

Currently, as all are aware, there are shortages in weaponry and ammunition to wage a war without consequences.

Therefore, the Cold Start will not deliver the desired result and the time taken to make up the shortages will dictate the time when a war can be launched.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir,

Situation understood but again, no OPSEC crompomize, how comfortable is the InA with the immediate mission crepe?

Sir, I just want to get a feel of what you are suggesting. I am not asking for any OPLAN.
The Cold Start concept is ideal for the current geopolitical environment. Note : geopolitical.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I don't think so.

The environment would be different.

p2prada

Is information on a IBG available? No of troops, tanks, aircraft etc.

I am sure, we will need the AFNET working for an effective IBG.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Sir AFNET is short for Air Force Network its aim is to integrate the whole airforce both Land based and Air Based Assets in to one network

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Attached is a perspective, a western one for the cold start.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Ray sir in cold start i see the Adoption of Blitz tatics of the whaermact to Indian conditions what do you say

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I guess that could be said only in the conditions of complete air superiority and artillery support.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would not equate it with blitzkrieg, but it serves our purpose without crossing the Rubicon.

Air superiority by any country is not achievable in its classical form. We will be able to obtain what is known as ''favourable air situation''! That would be adequate.

p2prada

What is AFNET?
Sir, you may have heard of the previous ACM talking about the Aerospace Command. This is the Indian equivalent of the American Strategic Air Command.
It is meant to be ready by 2012.

The command structure may include the strategic nuclear command too.

This would involve thousands of kms of optical fibre cables integrating all our land based radars called the IACCS(Integrated Air Command and Control System). An Israeli ODL connecting the IACCS to our air-based surveillance assets(AWACS, Aerostats) and fighters. And also the Naval Maritime recce aircraft.

Lastly, this integration is achieved by satellites. We are already developing a regional navigation constellation called IRNSS. The Airforce already have their own satellite and the Navy is to get one this year or the next. This network of radars, satellites and planes is called AFNET.

This enables the command center to view the entire battlespace on a single screen in real time and gives a big boost for the decision making process.

The Army will most probably utilize the current AFNET to integrate its own assets to UAVs and satellites. BEL is developing a battle field management system for the Arjun and the T-90s. This programs is called the Wolfpack/hunter network. It will enable our tank commanders an increased situational awareness of the entire battlefield. They get to see the position of their tanks and other tanks in real time. Again, connected to UAVs and satellites.

The Navy too is working on its own system which is supposed to be ready by 2022.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles