CNN Blacked out- Chinese president visit today in US ( minute by minute Updates)

JayATL

This is being blacked out in China ( go figure ) but thought to post it here. GO HERE FOR LIVE UPDATES http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...se-p_n_811046.html#15_human-rights-discussion

Today 3:02 PM Human Rights Discussion

Here's the AP's take on the human rights back-and-forth during the press conference:

For Hu's part, he at first didn't respond to an American reporter's question on human rights differences between the two countries. Pressed about it in a later question, he said technical difficulties in translation had prevented him from hearing the question.

Hu said that each of his meetings with Obama — eight including Wednesday's — the rights issue had been raised.
"China is always committed to the protection and promotion of human rights," Hu said.

He said that China had "made enormous progress" in its practices.

"China recognizes and also respects the universality of human rights," he said. "It recognizes and also respects the universality of human rights. At the same time, we need to take into account the different national circumstances. China is a developing country with a huge population, and also a developing country in a crucial stage of reform."

China "faces many challenges in social and economic development. A lot still needs to be done in China on human rights," the Chinese president and Communist Party leader said.

He said that while China "is willing to engage in dialogue" with the U.S. and other nations on human rights issues, countries must exercise "the principle of noninterference in each other's internal affairs."
Today 2:36 PM China Blackout?

According to @vhernandezcnn, the press conference is being blacked out in China. He tweets:

From our CNN producer in Beijing: CNN broadcasts of the President Hu & Obama presser is being blacked out in China

Today 2:34 PM Cultural Exchange

A lot of emphasis on both sides is being placed on the importance of cultural and person to person exchanges to foster "mutual understanding." Obama notes that a lot of Chinese people think that the U.S. doesn't welcome China's rise, but says this isn't true so long as the rise is "peaceful."

Hu notes that no country can "single-handedly" solve the world's problems, and that the U.S. and China need to work together to face global challenges.
Today 2:26 PM Translation Issues

The translation is causing problems and confusing both the leaders and the journalists. A Chinese journalist specifically asks that his question be translated accurately.
Today 2:12 PM Another Human Rights Question

Hu is being pressed again on human rights, with a reporter noting that he did not answer the previous question. Hu responds that he didn't hear the question because of translation issues. He then says that China is always committed to human rights and has made great strides in that area. He notes, however, that different "national circumstances" should be taken into account, as China is a developing country. He emphasizes, however, the Chinese line that the U.S. should not meddle in internal Chinese affairs.
Today 2:05 PM 'We Want To Sell You All Sorts Of Stuff'

Obama notes that the U.S. is looking forward to a robust Chinese market, and goes on to elaborate on all the "stuff" the U.S. would like to sell in China (including cars, planes and software).
Today 2:02 PM Reporter From China Asks About U.S. Comfort With China

Hu notes that there are strong ties between the U.S. and Chinese people, including abut 7,000 people traveling between the two nations each day. He referred again to the need for increased student exchange between the two nations.

Commenting on whether or not the U.S. can be truly comfortable with an ascending China, Obama says "China's peaceful rise is good for the world."
Today 1:50 PM AP Asks The First Question

An AP reporter asked a strongly worded question about human rights, and also threw in some speculation that Chinese Amb. Jon Hunstman would run for president in 2012.

After deflecting the Hunstman query, Obama said that China has a different political system but that Americans support the "universality of certain rights." He stressed again that the two nations can engage on what they do agree on and that he will continue to celebrate the achievements of the Chinese people.
Today 1:42 PM Hu Speaks On 'Mutual Respect'

Hu says that the U.S. and China must "respect each other's sovereignty," He emphasized again the need for "mutual respect" between the nations, as well as "consultation on equal footing."
Today 1:37 PM Obama On 'Universal Rights'

Obama said that the U.S. and China would pursue a dialogue on human rights, and that while the U.S. acknowledges that Tibet is part of China, more conversations with the Dalai Lama would be forthcoming.
Today 1:32 PM Obama On 'Healthy Competition'

Obama says that cooperation between the U.S. and China is "good for the world" but that there should also be "healthy competition." He stressed that American businesses need a "level playing field" when competing in China.
Today 1:23 PM Red Carpet Welcome

Highlighting the warm reception was a red carpet welcome waiting for Hu Jintao at the White House. You can see pictures of the elaborate ceremony on the South Lawn here.

A.V.

i dont mind the blackout especially when its a well known propaganda machine

JayATL

i dont mind the blackout especially when its a well known propaganda machine
Huh? they have blacked out the US/ CHINA presidents Press coverage and Q&A sessions.

A.V.

Huh? they have blacked out the US/ CHINA presidents Press coverage and Q&A sessions.
cnn should be thankful that its just a temporary blackout , the kind of propaganda it creates will shame a any communist propaganda machinery of the past , i doubt how many chinese do watch cnn

JayATL

what! CNN a propaganda machine? for whom.. this is an interesting twist, I never knew you guys disliked CNN. BTW the coverage is of a free press asking questions of both presidents- I'm not sure how them transmitting signals = propaganda.

A.V.

what! CNN a propaganda machine? for whom.. this is an interesting twist, I never knew you guys disliked CNN. BTW the coverage is of a free press asking questions of both presidents- I'm not sure how them transmitting signals = propaganda.
Its not what we guys think , its a vast majority out there who think same and about whom the establishment knows, there are other television networks too but the bad name that cnn has is not a myth its reality.
the idea of free press , free speech all are limited and none other proves me right than the most recent wiki leaks incident , just hows the amount of freeness thats exercised.
CNN for long is a proxy and leader of propaganda media which is also sometimes mistaken as free press by the west

A.V.

how do you know that the beam transmitted to china will be live unedited , format \let me tell you cnn has different edited beams for different regions of the world of the same news item and stories , what story you see inside america is edited and beamed in a different way for us in russia and so elsewhere

JayATL

Its not what we guys think , its a vast majority out there who think same and about whom the establishment knows, there are other television networks too but the bad name that cnn has is not a myth its reality.
the idea of free press , free speech all are limited and none other proves me right than the most recent wiki leaks incident , just hows the amount of freeness thats exercised.
CNN for long is a proxy and leader of propaganda media which is also sometimes mistaken as free press by the west
how do you know that the beam transmitted to china will be live unedited , format \let me tell you cnn has different edited beams for different regions of the world of the same news item and stories , what story you see inside america is edited and beamed in a different way for us in russia and so elsewhere
I don't follow you. give me examples of their propaganda and what wiki leaks issue? what do you mean it is edited by CNN? if any edits come- it's because the govt has forced those edits. china forces them for example not to talk about any uprisings. CNN is bastion of unbiased, worse slightly liberal news org in the US. they have broken more scandals on US politicians than any news org. This is very interesting_ I had no clue about this disdain for CNN.

A.V.

I don't follow you. give me examples of their propaganda and what wiki leaks issue? what do you mean it is edited by CNN? if any edits come- it's because the govt has forced those edits. china forces them for example not to talk about any uprisings. CNN is bastion of unbiased, worse slightly liberal news org in the US. they have broken more scandals on US politicians than any news org. This is very interesting_ I had no clue about this disdain for CNN.
As i said , whats shown by CNN to domestic viewers, is not whats shown elsewhere , outside of goverment edits news are twisted to show the US and establishment in good light , why do you think other local television networks are so poular in other places these days , world over CNN has earned a very bad name , whole of middle east shuns them , al zazeera rules, europe has their own service , atleast i can say for here in russia , people have moved to russia today for english news and everything on cnn acts more like a timepass

CNN has lost the trust world over if you think this is my personal opinion then you are mistaken try asking any member independently outside the US what they think of CNN

JayATL

No , far from me thinking it's your personal opinion, nothing of that sort, I believe you- I was just curious as to what the reasons were -hopefully illustrated through examples. I understand that news channels can have opinionated speakers vs news at times! ... Local news have plenty of ziad hamid's too.

and really local news is more connected to the state vs CNN is more of an international news, global news network than your say local traffic update channel.

US would be happy to know that CNN is pro US. they hammer US politicians daily, they break news on corruption, Iraq war lies, Abu Gharib , torture! - man they really went after govt on that. They keep pushing get out of Afghanistan meme...They been asked many times to not release sensitive information on US missteps, but they still go ahead, making sure lives are not at risk, avoiding names at times- yet releasing embarrassing information for the govt. ... they are hated by republicans and Neo cons. Bush refused to do interviews with them a lot...

so you can see where I'm surprised to hear them being depicted as a US propaganda machine. Rather AL Jazera is looked upon as a propaganda machine. Osama does not chose them to handle his tapes for nothing :)

Last edited:

kickok1975

CNN: The most distrustful name in the news.

It was disturbing and disgusting to watch CNN reporting on Xingjiang riot two years ago.

nimo_cn

Country flag
CNN, along with other western media, definitely has lost its credibility in China after it fabricated reports on riots in Tibet and Xinjiang back in 2008.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I can't see why any of that deserves blacking out, even from Chinese perspective.

A. V. Which country are you from? I can't recognize the flag you are flying?
Soviet Union. :tongue:

..for the lack of a modern Russia flag.

CNN, along with other western media, definitely has lost its credibility in China after it fabricated reports on riots in Tibet and Xinjiang back in 2008.
They're merely telecasting a live press conference between two heads of state. Their credibility would have nothing to do with it, and hence "credibility" is no basis for blacking them out.

nimo_cn

Country flag
They're merely telecasting a live press conference between two heads of state. Their credibility would have nothing to do with it, and hence "credibility" is no basis for blacking them out.
Well, if it was blacked out or not and if it should be blacked out or not are not my concern. I was echoing AV's point that CNN, as well as some western media, is losing its credibility.

JayATL

that riots was no fabrication and the last person or country talking about propaganda media should be china or its people... - ROFL

Last edited:

A.V.

Some basic facts :-
CNN was a huge network they had the reach and the resource so what used to happen was that the local channels elsewhere will pick on their feeds , but in the last decade or so with the increase in media coverage and huge investments made in other countries , each of them now has their own cameras and reporters to cover major events , naturally the dependence on CNN and BBC has reduced thats a fact.
and when these local media came to their own reporting they found out some basic conflicts with CNNs coverage , there starts the question of credibility

take the example of india 1999 india was having basically 2 news channels and all international news were based on feeds , today there are 50 channels with independent coverage and own staff , so coverage news ahs improved and various different opinions of the same news comes up and then we can compare with what CNN shows us and some stark differences are noticed which many times are not favourable for the local mass.

amoy

I recall there's a www.anti-CNN.com which is focusing on debunking CNN lies.

and now http://en.m4.cn/ its English site is providing "the 4th media"

CNN of course is serving / entertaining some "interests", definitely not Chinese interest.

Frankly I also hate CCP's "blacking-out" which is unnessary and detrimental, and a signal of diffidence. Mature Chinese are able to discern ... nowadays. Who now in China is still trusting VOA (Voice of America) or "Free Asia" as a reliable source? We're growing up, right?

nimo_cn

Country flag
that riots was no fabrication and the last person or country talking about propaganda media should be china or its people... - ROFL
Look at the pictures I have posted, any comment?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles