Clinton to Iran: Don't misread departure from Iraq

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Washington has long worried that meddling by Iran, a Shiite Muslim theocracy, could inflame tensions between Iraq's Shiite-led government and its minority Sunnis, setting off a chain reaction of violence and disputes across the Mideast.
News from The Associated Press

Ok, here is my question. Do Sunnis hate Shiites more than Arabs hate Persians?

My second question: what demon from Hell does Hillary's hair?

Last edited:

pmaitra

My take:
  • Shias and Sunnis, both hate each other equally.
  • Arabs and Persians, again, both hate each other equally.
  • Both the hatreds are probably equally intense.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My take:
  • Shias and Sunnis, both heat each other equally.
  • Arabs and Persians, again, both hate each other equally.
  • Both the hatreds are probably equally intense.

Well see if nationalism will trump religious differences this time. Note that nationalism runs deep in the veins of Iraqis and Iranians. There is an ancient rivalry between them, not to mention that these countries have once upon a time been important civilizations by themselves: Mesopotamia and Persia. And in the 1980s nationalism did triumph against religious considerations.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Well see if nationalism will trump religious differences this time. Note that nationalism runs deep in the veins of Iraqis and Iranians. There is an ancient rivalry between them, not to mention that these countries have once upon a time been important civilizations by themselves: Mesopotamia and Persia. And in the 1980s nationalism did triumph against religious considerations.
Iraqi nationalism, what planet are you on? When the Gulf War came they surrendered by the hundreds of thousands. The Kurds don't want anything to do with Iraq and the Sunnis are scared for their lives over Shia retribution. It was a nation formed by British colonialism that should never have been formed. It will be a release when it is dissolved. Iran is a bit more unified with their Persian roots but there are several minorities that are alienated in the culture: Azeris, Kurds, Balochis and anything Sunni. You are looking at two nations ripe for civil wars.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Iraqi nationalism, what planet are you on? When the Gulf War came they surrendered by the hundreds of thousands. The Kurds don't want anything to do with Iraq and the Sunnis are scared for their lives over Shia retribution. It was a nation formed by British colonialism that should never have been formed. It will be a release when it is dissolved. Iran is a bit more unified with their Persian roots but there are several minorities that are alienated in the culture: Azeris, Kurds, Balochis and anything Sunni. You are looking at two nations ripe for civil wars.

Huh!? Is France still on earth? Maybe you just started using your intergalactic telescope on 1991, what about the Iran-Iraq war (longest conventional war of teh 20th century)? BTW, my post was about Iran and Iraq, not about an overwhelming international force such as the US-lead coalition in the 1991 Gulf War. And the question being pondered is can nationalism still play a role between Iran and Iraq? Keep drinking Champagne... :rofl:

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
News from The Associated Press

My second question: what demon from Hell does Hillary's hair?
The US is quitting because the US Presidential elections are looming soon!

Hillary is not using L'Oreal!

Shias hate Sunnis and vice versa ever since the issue of the succession of the Prophet came into being.

Arabs and Persians are of different stock, even though the follow different variations of the same religion. The clincher is that the word 'Iran' is cognate with the English word 'Aryan', as the Iranians are Aryan, that is, Indo-European, while the Arabs, as is well known, are Semitic, so ethnologically there's a definite disjunction.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Actually the elections in the US is going to screw up the region. Withdrawal from Iraq and Astan if it is complete is going to throw open the region to various forces pulling in it's own direction and causing a lot of problems. The entire region is going to blow up. To not expect Iran to meddle in Iraq is really foolish. Once you know the enemy is getting weak and is leaving, you certainly will make use of that. What the US needs in Iraq is Saddam!!!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Huh!? Is France still on earth? Maybe you just started using your intergalactic telescope on 1991, what about the Iran-Iraq war (longest conventional war of teh 20th century)? BTW, my post was about Iran and Iraq, not about an overwhelming international force such as the US-lead coalition in the 1991 Gulf War. And the question being pondered is can nationalism still play a role between Iran and Iraq? Keep drinking Champagne... :rofl:
WTH? Is your mind holed like Swiss Cheese? Maybe you should recognise the fact that the Iraqi Army fought at the barrel of Saddam's gun. The country is dominated by Shia's and they are pro Iran. When your troops leave the country you can sit back and watch the Iranians move in. Read something about Shiite militias before you talk a drunken rant. :rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles