Clashing interests: US threatens sanctions over Iran gas deal

JayATL

russia wont take over the arabian sea, not even in their wildest of the dreams, they cant even dare to.

russia needs access through land route and pakistan has offered them that, not something i am making up.

Pakistan offers Russia access to "southern seas" - Pakistan offers Russia access to "southern seas" : Voice of Russia

Did you read that article? and understand what it means? It means come do business with us or use us as transit point, it's not a chinese like deal -where they get any permanent real estate like the chinese..

Last edited:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
But you are the one who said QUOTE " which is why they have been courting the russians on TAPI, pakistanis are trying to pit americans against the russians, and the bargain is pakistan will give access to russia to the arabian sea that russia has been looking for a very-very long time now and so one sees russia-pakistan relations cozy up to a certain extent, "
pitting america against russia: yes.

its a simple rule, play one against the other, not a full fledged cold war, if that is what it sounded like, similar to how pakistan pits america and china against each other or for that matter KSA against iran to extract all that they can in the bargain.

mind you even india is interested in russia joining in because that brings in the much needed stability from india PoV since india today has good relations with both america and russia and its a good way of having a sway on the pakistanis that they in no way try to sabotage the indian supplies.

Since Russia had announced its interest in participating in the construction of the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline, the Joint Statement issued at the Summit mentioned the interest of both sides in TAPI and the Tajikistan- Afghanistan-Pakistan CASA-1000 (Central Asia-South Asia) electricity transmission project. Russian energy companies such as Gazprom are backing the initiative. Interestingly, Gazprom is also seeking a role in Bangladesh.

Russia's Growing Engagement with Pakistan | Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses

KS

Bye bye DFI
I asked for critical thinking and you are going on your gut feeling with "loose eye" theories . Besides the fact they will lose energy resources they desperately need - I also gave you the " water treaties " they risk. hence the debate ends with you...
I am saying Paks are not capable of "critical" thinking when it comes to doing things which they think will punish India.

The current state they are in is an evidence of that.

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
its none of US business..its a deal between two sovereign nations so America should stay out of it.

JayATL

its none of US business..its a deal between two sovereign nations so America should stay out of it.
Oye, we are talking about the forrest and not the Tree (US) i.e. beyond the personal issue with US what is good for Pakistan ? TAPI or IP? Btw- if Pakistan does not accept TAPI, that means India is SOL on TAPI- because Pak is a transit point too...unless China agree

anoop_mig25

Country flag
well i am against both pipelines as it is going to pass through pakistan. because of two reason
1>wel isi can perfectly use their non-state actors to blast/subotage pipelines
2> even if pakistan is bind to agreement i.e not to disturb flow in pipeline they are going to buy weapons from transit fees which is ultimately going to used against us. either direct(conventional weapons/war) or indirect(weapons to terrorist)

1-2-3 years back there was report of underwater pipeline through quatar/oman and was suggested that pipeline be forwarded till iran. i think i was posted in dfi itself. i think we should work on this pipeline as would safe although costly and hard to make but if china can do we should also show our capacity to world

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Well, since we're on the topic of TAPI/IPI... These days we find only the Arundhati Roy types screaming in support of these pipelines. I agree with the general sentiment on this thread, that we shouldn't touch these pipeline plans even with a sterelized needle. Even if you forget the non-state-actor thing for a while, it still puts us in a difficult position by making us enormously susceptible to blackmail. Today we here the Pakistani media and their "analysts" whining about India's "violations of Indus water treaty" and how India wants to convert Pakistan to a desert. I'd hate to put myself in a position where they can dictate any kind of terms to us.

Let us wait for the collapse of Pakistan, and we'll see what new entities come out of that collapse. We can see if we can do business with any of those entities, provided they share a border with both Iran and India. Most probably it will be an Iran-Balochistan-Sindh-India pipeline (IBSI) :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles