Christianity finds a fulcrum in Asia

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Ray, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

If indeed this is true, China will be the largest Christian nation.

Possibly the Chinese feel that Christianity is alien to China and is a 'foreign' religion and so while the Chinese Govt is benign to Chinese Buddhism ( as different from Tibetan Buddhism) and other indigenous religions and philosophy, it is very chary about 'foreign' religions and their influence to cause disruption to the Han culture that has been nurtured and spread over centuries of their history.

It is this Han culture that has given a single identity to China and which is today a force to reckon with, no matter what was the identity of the people, who inhabit China today.

That is the reason why China is very sensitive to foreign religions since their background is totally different to that of China and they are subservient to foreign religious centres of power, which can work to destabilise China and stop the progress China has made so far and still counting.

That is the reason why China has gone hammer and tongs in preventing these religions, be it Christianity or Islam, to take an independent line as per their religious belief and instead ensures that the message of these religions is controlled by the Centre that is in conformity to Chinese aspirations and preservation of Han culture.

Will 'foreign' religions be able to take a hold of China?

What must China do to ensure that only indigenous religions that have connection with Han culture flourish and stop the galloping spread of 'foreign' religions that will gnaw the innards of China and may even wipe out the Han culture that has been cultivate assiduously through the ages?

Will China's attempt to contain the 'foreign' religions give rise to greater outrage from the West of 'human rights' violations?

3. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I am expecting the decline of religion as a whole by then. 2 Generations is a lot of time.:)

4. Ray

I wonder what our Chinese posters have to say on this issue.

There is indeed a concern that foreign religions may upset the general manner of thinking amongst the Chinese and may cause destabilisation.

5. plugwater

plugwater Elite Member Elite Member

Decline of Christianity will come a lot sooner. But i do not have much hope on Islam and Hinduism.

6. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

The decline of Chinese culture is a sad thing, it has been one of the pillars of Asian culture.

The Communist government is making the situation worse by banning local religious groups like Falun Gong, who could have countered foreign missionaries.

7. Ray

I too thought religion will die a natural death, till I saw the Born Agains of Islam and Christianity after 9/11, which gave the impression that religion and its adherents are not dead.

Now, if the Chinese convert to Christianity at the rate of 10,000 a day, then Christianity will march well ahead of Islam, in so far as numbers go!

It is interesting to note that the Pentacostal Mission was was founded in Colombo, Sri Lanka in 1923 by a Hindu convert, Ramankutty - later known as Pastor Pa

The problem in China is that they are very sensitive about 'foreign influence' to the way of their lives and they believed that the Falun Gong, was nothing but a CIA front movement!!

Notwithstanding, I am sceptical about the numbers claimed to be converting!

8. p2prada

My friend asked me the reason for why I am atheist last Friday. I asked him, "You are a Christian, aren't you?" He replied with a yes. Then I asked him, "Do you believe in Noah's Ark?"

He started laughing. Then I said, "That's why."

9. plugwater

ROFL! Its nothing compared to some insane things in religions :D

Lets not derail the topic :)

10. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

I am really more terrified of Christian Evangelists than Muslim fundamentalists! The former can destroy the society from with in while the other atleast hits you from the outside.

11. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

I thought Islam was spreading fast in Africa.

12. plugwater

I meant Islam and Hinduism wont decline.

13. p2prada

It is the next generation which will bring about the change. Other than that the US is highly religious. Atheists in India aren't treated anyway different than a person from a different religion or sect. But atheists in America are publicly discriminated.

Atheism is actually growing faster than theism anywhere in the world and that adds to their worries. After all, atheists aren't particularly bothered about burning books or puppets, subjugation of races or pillaging works of art.

However, China will probably beat us with sheer numbers. :p

I am also inclined to believe the numbers are being faked. Perhaps contributions from Vatican are a main factor. I don't see a reason why CCP will try to stop the influx of massive amount of Christian funds from Europe and will perhaps even allow faking numbers for the same reason.

The Chinese have accepted westernization without any problems in cities. Maybe the CCP sees Christianity as a more controllable religion than Islam or Buddhism.

14. p2prada

Haha! Yeah. Anyway I did not know this topic will be a subject of greater debate. Thought I could shoot and scoot.

15. Ray

aha, but I am standing in the wings! ;)

16. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

It already is as far as active church goers.

CCP saw the Christian tidal wave coming years ago which is why they actually sponsor 20 million Christians in state sanctioned churches. It is the only way they can hope to control it from conflicting with communist doctrine. With 120 million adherents... it is too little too late to stop. All they can do is roll with it the best they can.

I sit in a foreigner service on Sunday in a state sanctioned church. It really isn't that different from a normal mass except politics is forbidden, most universal societal problems are fair game but some of the ones peculiar to China you don't talk about. I also go to a house church bible study with English speaking students during the week, we talk about anything and everything. In the couple months I have been going our group has expanded by seven regular attendees.

Christianity already has The Dragon by the tail. It is too late to stop the wild fire.

Actually, CCP is using the China Christian Council (CCC) to do much of their social service work. If there is some disaster, the CCC is first on the scene. CCP don't like Islam very much, so they send CCC to Xinjiang for missionary work, set up new churches and fund it out of public monies as well as rich urban donors. CCP has been sold by missionaries that Christianity brings a "harmonious society" with it and that the social work can help cut cost to the state by charity. The influential report was circulated around the Politburo that studied how America and Europe become top of the world in their ages and it was Christianity that brought wealth. This lead to CCP supporting religion, mostly Christianity but Buddhism, Taoism as well.

The persecution going on with Chinese Christians originates from the house churches that make vocal their disagreement with state policy. If you are like my house church, we talk what we want but we don't start a public debate about it on the street. CCP leaves that alone. There are plenty that are more vocal though.

17. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Higher rate of education will do the trick. Any sane person well educated and with open mind will obviously not behave like maniacs. Even those who remain religious will see the motive behind religious laws rather than take them literally.

It is only inevitable.

18. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Frankly these estimates seem quite a bluffing. But it’s really worth some good academic studies why many East Asians (CJK) readily embrace Christianity. Religion played a role in the contemporary politics. Dr Sun Yat-Sen, and later Chiang Kai-shek and 4-families who once dominated ROC were Christians (or at least they claimed to be). Islam seems on the rise too, visibly. I saw an Uygur vendor rolled out a carpet on a sidewalk and got on his knees praying. In a Moslem restaurant the boss was recitng Quran with an embroidery of Kaaba on a wall. Such things were impossible in the days when CCP held a tight grip of ideology. The rise of that “home-grown” "neo"-religion FLG has to be seen through a prism of profound social transition too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  19. Ray

Religion does create a lot of social problems that leads to serious law and order problems and problems for good governance.

To that extent China has been relatively free from religious tensions except in Tibet and Xinjiang.

While China is more liberal than before on religions being practised, apparently China is worried over 'foreign' religions like Christianity and Islam, while relatively less concerned with indigenous religions.

There is good reasons for controlling foreign religions. The Chinese Govt is very sensitive to rapid social changes, which foreign influences can engineer, and bring instability and skew the progress China is making because of its 'regulated' State controlled system of national functioning. They are comfortable with the Han culture that has held them in good stead through history. There is always the worry that foreign influences can create problems and dilute the time tested Han culture that nearly all Chinese have accepted as their own identity and way of life.

The Chinese people too are not too enamoured by any changes in their current form of lifestyle since it has brought greater economic boon from the earlier days.

Therefore, the control that the Chinese govt displays, may appear draconian to the outside world, but is in actuality good for China, since it removes the danger of religious unrest that the remainder of the world faces and as they face in Tibet and Xinjiang, which is counterproductive to China's tryst with destiny.

20. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Sorry i am ignorant. Please explain how the former destroys the society from within and also explain how the latter doesn't.

Personally I believe that religion will decline in the coming decades esp Christianity. As Ernesto above said its education, the more educated the people are the less they are concerned about religion and all the BS that comes with it. Islam will be the last on to go because it is spreading among a relatively less educated population.
    And I am sure the Chinese even though they accept Christianity will blend it very well with their resident culture.

21. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

I think this statement is correct. The Chinese system works for the Chinese. If this systems fails, China as nation will suffer a lot. Fortunately the Chinese realize this very well.