Christian parents group to sue school over yoga classes

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Gauging from the number of people that practice yoga in western countries, I'd say that's a pretty off-the-mark conclusion.

How Yoga Won the West
Actually Yogic postures are popular in the west. But what is called Yog in Sanatan philosophy, they aren't interested in or aware of to a greater extent.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Convent or Christian schools are private schools so what's wrong with Christian prayers? I went to a Convent school as a kid. We learnt about Jesus, Mother Mary, and did Christian prayers; so what? Am I Christian today? Same thing in the West, there are plenty of private Catholic schools and there is nothing wrong if they do Christian prayers in the morning. Infact in the West, if you are a Catholic, the school will give you a big discount and your kids will have to pay less fees, but if you are a non-Christian who wants to attend, the fees is actually higher! So some folks actually convert to give their kids a better private education. A lot of Chinese do this, and I know an Indian family who has also done this.

That being said, these are all private schools, but the school in question is a public, government-funded school! So you can't make a comparison there!
Yes, they are private schools imparting their own religious BS to the young from whom they charge money in a secular nation?? I think everything is wrong here!

Then the argument would be don't send your Children to such schools...Valid argument.....But wait a sec why not? India is secular and there is no need to forcefully teach your religious BS to toddlers!

Only impart secular education and not religious education to non-xians......Trust me no one needs to know about any God in schools!!

Tronic

Yes, they are private schools imparting their own religious BS to the young from whom they charge money in a secular nation?? I think everything is wrong here!

Then the argument would be don't send your Children to such schools...Valid argument.....But wait a sec why not? India is secular and there is no need to forcefully teach your religious BS to toddlers!
Your argument doesn't make sense. Nobody is "forcefully" teaching religious BS to toddlers; the parents are the ones who are choosing to send their children to such private schools. I agree with secularism, and secularism is connected with the state, not what folks choose to do privately. If Christian parents wish to pay someone else to teach their religion to their kids for lack of time, or whatever other reasons, do you not think it's foolish to have non-Christians send their children to Christian schools and than demand those Christian schools to stop teaching Christianity? Secularism only comes in if the government was the one doing this. You have to understand the difference between the state and private institutions. Ofcourse if you made the argument for enforced atheism and complete ban on all religions like the Soviets, I could understand where you're coming from; but from your previous posts, I know that you are even opposed to that system, so that is why I find your argument flawed.

Only impart secular education and not religious education to non-xians......Trust me no one needs to know about any God in schools!!
Yes, in tax-funded government schools. What people choose to do privately is no business of the state. Unless we're talking government enforced ban on all religion.

Reactions: nrj

arya

Country flag
if you want to stop gun cluture in your country then you adopt our things of someday your son will kill some other , only in india we teach pare ts are above the god . Yoga will help them to become goodhuman . but first parients have to open there mind .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It does not matter whether a scool does or does not do Yoga.

It is their loss.

So, why bother?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Your argument doesn't make sense. Nobody is "forcefully" teaching religious BS to toddlers; the parents are the ones who are choosing to send their children to such private schools. I agree with secularism, and secularism is connected with the state, not what folks choose to do privately. If Christian parents wish to pay someone else to teach their religion to their kids for lack of time, or whatever other reasons, do you not think it's foolish to have non-Christians send their children to Christian schools and than demand those Christian schools to stop teaching Christianity? Secularism only comes in if the government was the one doing this. You have to understand the difference between the state and private institutions. Ofcourse if you made the argument for enforced atheism and complete ban on all religions like the Soviets, I could understand where you're coming from; but from your previous posts, I know that you are even opposed to that system, so that is why I find your argument flawed.

Yes, in tax-funded government schools. What people choose to do privately is no business of the state. Unless we're talking government enforced ban on all religion.
The Christian missionary schools in INDIA teach and preach christianity and if they don't convert they are forcibly made to do so....

Please stop giving statement that they do not do so, I was forced to remove the thilak on my forehead and when I restrained from doing so I was forcibly kicked out of the school. I joined STANES HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL in COONOOR, in Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu and this is what happened to me....

Now give your say about the concept of not forcing religious BS on children.

Satanist

Tihar Jail
Banned
The Christian missionary schools in INDIA teach and preach christianity and if they don't convert they are forcibly made to do so....

Please stop giving statement that they do not do so, I was forced to remove the thilak on my forehead and when I restrained from doing so I was forcibly kicked out of the school. I joined STANES HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL in COONOOR, in Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu and this is what happened to me....

Why such schools tolerated in India? Is thilak same thing as bindi?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It does not matter whether a scool does or does not do Yoga.

It is their loss.

So, why bother?
Sir, I was forced to follow the rules of christianity and was forced to take of the thilak on my forehead and when I did not do so, I was denied the group which I wanted and at first they said that they will give me the group which I wanted if I get 60% in my 10th grade and after I got 62% also, i was not given the change of group which i was promised by the school management and after this incident I had to leave the school and i joined HINDU VIDYALAYA, which was then run by VHP president of Niligiris. I for being a responsible person did not utter even a single word about the incident to the president of the VHP(the Niligris, during the year 2003) as that would lead to an unnecessary fight between the two communities and school getting involved. The VHP president was a good friend of my father and I too was in VHP and RSS. As a kar sevak, i was taught to maintain restraint and communal harmony and not hatred towards other religions, I also want to make a statement that RSS never teaches hatred towards other religions as some of the people in INDIA think about...........

sob

Mod
Country flag
Some Lawyer in the US is going to make lots of $$$$$ on this.

Tronic

When have I said that Christian schools do not try to convert? I myself gave an example of how Christian schools in the West give discounts to Christians on the school fees while non-Christians are made to pay almost double. It's an incentive to convert. Whose denied this? My point is that it is as stupid to send your children to a private Christian school and than demand that the Christian school stop preaching Christianity, as it is to send you kids to an Islamic school (Madrassa) and demand that the Madrassas stop preaching Islam. Why are you holding Christian schools to a different standard?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Well looks like these parents have some serious issue with Sun.

They should also sue Sun for providing vitamins to their kids.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I'm all in favor of yoga. Not so long ago I used to ridicule it as a pansy activity, until I tried Asthanga yoga with Deepika Mehta and got ****- r****d!

P.S. She makes yoga look verrry sexy!
:cerealspit:

What exactly did you do ?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Well looks like these parents have some serious issue with Sun.

They should also sue Sun for providing vitamins to their kids.
Perhaps the parents hold a secret grudge that the 'lately strong' Sun might be turning their white kids into black and brown? :troll:

niharjhatn

When have I said that Christian schools do not try to convert? I myself gave an example of how Christian schools in the West give discounts to Christians on the school fees while non-Christians are made to pay almost double. It's an incentive to convert. Whose denied this? My point is that it is as stupid to send your children to a private Christian school and than demand that the Christian school stop preaching Christianity, as it is to send you kids to an Islamic school (Madrassa) and demand that the Madrassas stop preaching Islam. Why are you holding Christian schools to a different standard?
All schools should be held to the same standard - teaching about ALL global religions in an unbiased fashion without ulterior motives. Schools set up with the aim of converting impressionable kids should not be allowed and IMO is borderline with terrorist groups around the world recruiting and brainwashing children.

Religious awareness needs to be taught as opposed to religion itself. I shouldn't be Christian/Hindu/Muslim solely because I attended that school, but I should make a weighted and conscious decision to pursue a particular path. Of course, you might call that highly idealistic, not in touch with reality, but I think where such a curriculum can be enforced it should be. As a worst case scenario, religious teaching should be completely optional, but I prefer the former idea.

I have even heard of Christian schools punishing kids for speaking Hindi casually on campus - all part of the plan of distancing you from your mother heritage by attacking all aspects of your culture. It is unfortunate, but despite the excellent education they supply, were I to have kids I would thoroughly research sending them to any school with religious affiliations.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles