Chinese websites 'defaced in Anonymous attack'

JAISWAL

The Anonymous hacking group claims to have defaced almost 500 websites in China.

Targets hit in the mass defacement included government sites, its official agencies, trade groups and many others.

A message put on the hacked sites said the attack was carried out to protest against the Chinese government's strict control of its citizens.

It urged Chinese people to join Anonymous and stage their own protests against the regime.

Attack pattern

The announcement about the defacements was made via an Anonymous China account that was established in March. A list of the 485 sites affected was put on the Pastebin website. Separate Pastebin messages posted email addresses and other personal details stolen when sites were penetrated.

Sites defaced had the same message posted to them that chided the nation's government for its repressive policies.

It read: "Dear Chinese government, you are not infallible, today websites are hacked, tomorrow it will be your vile regime that will fall."

China has one of the most comprehensive web surveillance systems in the world, known as the Great Firewall of China, that reinforces its broader social controls. The system polices where Chinese people can go online and tries to restrict what they can talk about.

On defaced pages, the Anonymous attackers also posted links to advice that could help people avoid official scrutiny of what they do and say online. Much of the advice was in English so it is unclear how much help it would be.

There has been no official confirmation of the defacements. News wires reported that government officials had denied any had taken place.

However, many of the sites listed are now offline and a few others displayed a hacked page for a long time rather than their own homepage.

The Anonymous hackers reportedly successfully attacked some sites a second time once the original defacement was cleaned up.
BBC News - Chinese websites 'defaced in Anonymous attack'

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sad.

We will not get sponsored CCP 50 center news!

NO wonder we are not having our 50 centers out here howling, kicking and screaming!

Oracle

Anonymous got a job offer ? :notbad:
No. The Feds are tight on their ar$e$. Many have been arrested across Latin America and Europe as part of a crackdown.

They are a vigilante group opposing censorship of the internet.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Government officials had denied any had taken place
That is some kind of denial when this is plastered all over your WWW pages...

:rofl:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They look Mongoloid!

I miss my Chinese propaganda Brigade!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
it seems they have mass defaces 100s of chinese govt. websites. China thought only they are masters of hacking and cybercrime but they got paid in kind.

trackwhack

DD China's cyberwarfare has hardly anything to do with defacing websites. They are masters of cyber espionage, not really interested in defacing websites.

Cyber espionage could have contributed to as much as a trillion dollars to China's current economy per conservative estimates. There was an article on Gizmodo if I remember correctly.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
DD China's cyberwarfare has hardly anything to do with defacing websites. They are masters of cyber espionage, not really interested in defacing websites.

Cyber espionage could have contributed to as much as a trillion dollars to China's current economy per conservative estimates. There was an article on Gizmodo if I remember correctly.
I never said that CCP was involved in defacing websites, but definitely involved in hacking and cybercrime. I only felt that 'Anonymous' wanted to teach a lesson to CCP by defacing their websites. They did this as a revenge as implied by the use of mask from 'V for Vendetta' which incidentally also a movie in which the protagonist 'V' fights against totalitarian regime like CCP.

J20!

Country flag
I never said that CCP was involved in defacing websites, but definitely involved in hacking and cybercrime. I only felt that 'Anonymous' wanted to teach a lesson to CCP by defacing their websites. They did this as a revenge as implied by the use of mask from 'V for Vendetta' which incidentally also a movie in which the protagonist 'V' fights against totalitarian regime like CCP.
Everyone is involved in hacking and cybercrime, get with the times.

trackwhack

If Anonymous really wants to teach the Chinese a lesson, it should hack into their defence and strategic institutions and make public their weapons systems installations and war strategies, missile silos etc. Defacing websites is a pimp job. Hardly takes skill, only some guts because if you are caught you may spend some time behind bars.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
If Anonymous really wants to teach the Chinese a lesson, it should hack into their defence and strategic institutions and make public their weapons systems installations and war strategies, missile silos etc. Defacing websites is a pimp job. Hardly takes skill, only some guts because if you are caught you may spend some time behind bars.
True but perhaps they don't want to get entangled on such large and sensitive issues that deals with national security as it has not taken any sides so far.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
So China is going to wage war on Anonymous? Did CCP issue any response?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles