Chinese 'suicide' bomber hailed a hero online

ejazr

Ambassador
Chinese 'suicide' bomber hailed a hero online - Indian Express

Days after a Chinese man set off bombs in local government buildings and killed himself, the country's Internet users have said that they understand his frustration and his actions.

Qian Mingqi, who spent a decade unsuccessfully attempting to win legal redress for what he said was the illegal demolition of his home, had set off three bombs in three government offices in Fuzhou, Jiangxi province on Thursday.

In a post that was sent on a Chinese microblog similar to Twitter just before his attack, he said he wanted "to use action to remove evil-doers for the people".

Most of the comments on Chinese websites and microblogs have treated Qian's action as righteous vengeance, rather than a terrorist attack.

"Warrior, rest in peace," The Christian Science Monitor quoted one post.

"How brave you are to do such things. I hope you win justice," said another.

Meanwhile, Li Chengpeng, one of China's most popular and influential bloggers, said: "Qian was no Bin Laden, he was one of the weak. He had no way to express himself nor defend his rights."

This is not the first time that fierce violence was chosen to resolve a dispute in recent years in China.

Xia Junfeng, an angry vendor, had stabbed two local officials to death for apparent unfair treatment.

Yang Jia, a jobless drifted, had murdered six policemen in Shanghai after being suspected of stealing a bicycle.

ejazr

Ambassador
The Hindu : News / International : In China, explosions stir debate

Attack by farmer who had lost land draws cheers, not criticism, from many Chinese netizens, who compare him to a revolutionary hero from the 1940s

Three explosions targeting government buildings rocked the Chinese city of Fuzhou, in southern Jiangxi province, on Thursday morning, leaving at least two people dead and six others injured.

The bombs were triggered by an unemployed 52-year-old local resident, Qian Mingqi, who was likely an aggrieved farmer, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

A day before the blast, Qian had appeared to warn of the attack in a message on his account on the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, Sina Weibo. Suggesting his home had been demolished illegally, he wrote: "I have been petitioning [the government] for ten years, but now I am forced to take a path I did not want to take."

Qian triggered the home-made bombs at three different locations within the span of one hour, all in the vicinity of local government offices.

The first bomb was placed in a car outside the city's procuratorate, or judicial, office. The other bombs targeted the local Linchuan district government office, which also handles petitions from aggrieved residents, and the food and drug administration.

According to Xinhua, Qian was killed in the explosion, which left two people dead and at least six others injured, three of them critically.

The blasts left shattered the windows of the eight-story court office, taking place less than 100 metres away from the building.

The attack triggered heated debate in China's vibrant online community, through which the news rapidly spread through Thursday even as local authorities sought to clamp down on reporting. According to one local journalist, local police deleted photographs of the explosions taken by passersby, and later blocked roads in surrounding neighbourhoods. Little information was released by local authorities.

Photographs did, however, circulate quickly through Sina Weibo, which has more than 100 million users. Early pictures showed a mushroom cloud rising above crowded streets, and the debris of shattered cars.

Thousands of Weibo users posted messages of the attack, with a majority of them expressing sympathy with Qian.

A number of recent land rights cases have triggered heated debate in China, emerging as a leading source of social unrest. In many cases, local governments have been accused of colluding with real estate developers to illegally acquire farmland.

Jiangxi saw another high-profile land rights conflict last year, when three people set themselves on fire to protest the forced demolition of their home.

In a message posted at 1 a.m. on Wednesday morning on his Weibo account, Qian said his newly built home had been illegally demolished, and he had incurred huge losses.

After unsuccessfully petitioning the local government to hear his case, he said he was "forced to take a path I did not want to take."

Under Chinese laws, citizens can petition local governments for redressing their grievances. However, critics of the petitioning system say their cases are rarely heard when local governments — or developers with whom they enjoy close ties — are involved. Petitioners are often harassed and even jailed for repeatedly raising their cases.

Almost every message posted on the Weibo account of Fuzhou's Public Security Bureau, or police authority, blamed the local government for the attack. "If you push the farmers so hard, they will take extreme measures," one user wrote.

Others drew comparisons between Qian and Dong Cunrui, a Communist Party hero from the civil war in the 1940s.

Dong was celebrated as a hero of the People's Liberation Army, and later became the subject of a popular war film. He sacrificed his life by blowing up a bunker with explosives — an act of martyrdom, he said, for "a new China." He died on May 25, 1948, leaving some to wonder whether the timing of Qian's act was more than a coincidence.

Iamanidiot

When Rule of Law is not the norm in the land this is what happens

Country flag
Seems like many in China are not getting their share of the Chinese rise??

ejazr

Ambassador
And here is the CPC mouth piece's view on the terrorist attacks

Horrendous attacks deserve public condemnation - GlobalTimes
The three consecutive blasts Thursday in Fuzhou, Jiangxi Province, that targeted government buildings, have traumatized the entire country. Confusion and speculation have inevitably surrounded this atrocious incident, especially during the initial absence of confirmed information. Despite enormous attention being paid to the cause of the attack, we must lament the deaths of innocent people whose families and friends are now suffering. We also call upon local governments to conduct a transparent investigation and update the public as soon as possible.

This horrendous act, no matter its origin, deserves the most vehement condemnation. Although some reports suggest that the suspected culprit, Qian Mingqi, sought revenge for a legal dispute and died during the attack, there is no justification for killings that indiscriminately target civilians from sole malicious intent.

Series of bomb attacks have rarely been seen in China and have caused a great deal of panic, engendering a psychological trauma far more substantial than the material losses. It is also worrying that, behind the scenes, it appears that extremism has become a measure of last resort for some people. We are therefore compelled to ponder seriously the implications of this incident.

This is not the first time that fierce violence was chosen to resolve a dispute. It just adds to the list of violent incidents having occurred in recent years. Xia Junfeng, an angry vendor, stabbed two local officials to death for apparent unfair treatment. Yang Jia, a jobless drifted, murdered six policemen in Shanghai after being suspected of stealing a bicycle.

The surge of violent solutions suggests that there are general reasons behind them. Those that resort to attacking a specific group or seek revenge on society usually share the same quality: vulnerability. Their disadvantaged education background, limited social contact, and poverty constitute impediments to their personal development and worsens their madness. They may feel a greater sense of unfairness in a fast-growing country, where most seem to be getting better off. The problem thus pertains to a development question: How to achieve an even growth and preserve social justice in a radically changing country?

Of course, the immediate priority is to avoid a probable series of attacks like last year's series of killings in kindergartens.
The reasons for a surge in similar attacks might be due to media sensationalism creating a misconception that horrendous attacks, in particular targeting public facilities out of personal indignation, can cast the culprit in a not wholly unfavorable light.

This does not mean that information should be suppressed, as this will only provoke rumors. This only means that society has to unwaveringly oppose violence and the government has to ease the tensions for every potential bomber.

Iamanidiot

We will now be having a lot of authorized denials by our chinese members in this thread

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
This is what happens when you support terrorists, keep up China, pay more money to pakistanis. They will help your people to get trained better

ejazr

Ambassador
Well it looks like Chinese people online have sympathy for the suicide bomber. Most of them feel alienated by the corruption and since there is no democratic outlet I guess and people can sympathies with him.

Still a very interesting phenomenon given that it seems to be a wave of bombings and more than one person involved. It could be copy cat attacks and it also seems to be in different parts of China too. This is apart from the unrest in inner Mongolia recently.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Notwithstanding, bombing is not the correct way to express anger or dissatisfaction.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Notwithstanding, bombing is not the correct way to express anger or dissatisfaction.
Circumstances!

Its all about circumstances. If i was born before independence id have no problem with throwing bombs inside the houses of britishers.

Rick

This is what happens when you support terrorists, keep up China, pay more money to pakistanis. They will help your people to get trained better
This obviously is an interesting thought.Acccording to your "brilliant" theory, India must be a much greater supporter to the terroists than china,otherwise we can't explain what happened in mumbai,right?We don't have that kind of attack in china,seems your people were much better trained.But in the other hand, your army and police,wow, how pathetic,they really need to be trained properly.So why don't you guys pay the pakistanis to train your girls in the army how to fight.

Avoid flaming!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear mod,in this forum,if a comment comes from a Chinese and it sounds against you guys,then it's called flaming.Then what you call it when such comments were made by Indian posters against China? Cause I saw tons of them here and no mod say a word.Look at the quote of my post,that is not flaming,huh?I guess this must be your "freedom of speech" which makes me feel very familiar to our "authority's websites" in China.Guys you hate china's not democracy so much, but you are not so different.

report any comments you think are flames, what is your last sentence??

Last edited:

kickok1975

Bombing is the last choice frustrated Chinese can show their angers toward corrupted CCP government. A lot of poor, disadvantage Chinese people were pushed to corner by gangs of government officials, real estate developer, police and mobs. If they continue their suppression and exploitation, China is at the verge of huge potential riot and revolution.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Two separate threads on the same topic, anything bad happening in China could bring joy to our Indian fellows.

On topic, I am one of the people who have sympathy for the bomber, notwithstanding it is wrong to do so. He must have been treated very unfairly by the local officials, as a result he had to resort to suicide bombing to demonstrate his anger.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Two separate threads on the same topic, anything bad happening in China could bring joy to our Indian fellows.

On topic, I am one of the people who have sympathy for the bomber, notwithstanding it is wrong to do so. He must have been treated very unfairly by the local officials, as a result he had to resort to suicide bombing to demonstrate his anger.
It does not bring joy to me. And I am an Indian.

Check my earlier post.

I have no sympathy for the bomber.

At this rate, so many will start bombing that one will not know what is going on!

There are other ways to redress grievances.

Illusive

Country flag
anything bad happening in China could bring joy to our Indian fellows.
Not all, taking lives never has solved any problems and we have a living example, i wouldn't show sympathy but regret that it had to come to this.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

RIP to the dead.
What makes you think we'd be happy with such events?
We're not hate mongers. We are the people who never invaded a country, took our Independence with complete non violence after being opressed with 250 years of violent colonial rule.
Discussing and pointing at certain follies doesn't mean that we as a society do not have the sensitivities towards other societies and their civilians. Blood shed in common citizenry is always a concern, no reason to jump in joy.
Every 2nd day dozens of civilians are slaughtered in Pakistan due to terrorist and extremist violence.
Whatever be the politics, whatever happyness there is due to decline of militany in Kashmir (for obvious reasons), however fiercly we may criticize the Pakistanis for their suicidal acts, never I repeat never it makes me happy to see scores of their common people being murdered like this.
We're humans after all, not monsters.

Regards,
Virendra

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS

How you can say it?. Joy for what, nimo you are misunderstanding a lot...... i told you people have different views and only take all as each one's personal view.

What is the point in doing a wrong to accomplish a good thing?. Your corrupt govt is similar to Indian govt now and what people here are doing is not opting violence and protesting with people's power. Why anyone in china can't do that?. Because those suppressing are tortured by govt. You can see people's power in middle east now. How they throwed out their corrupt govt's!.

He could have opted for a peaceful way joining people into his protest...If he is now being given a hero's name, then your china is under big threat of immitating Pakistan. Somany youngsters will do again this to accomplish their wishes and socail life and peace will be destroyed....Are you being childish or foolish to support this?...

Sikh_warrior

Professional
RIP to the dead.

could this dead bomber get any 1 of the 72 virgins, through the pakistani connections?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles