Chinese PM Li's visit to India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nothing will come of it.

One is well aware that sensitive industries cannot be open to all and sundry.

nimo_cn

Country flag
i think we have another mr n in this "sell-man " person ......- he wants to be "informed" then he will look into it ?

listen sell-man : please BE informed ! now stop the silliness please !

buying critical products from ccp and collaborating with them in infrastructural matters , is partial-suicide !

huawei and ZTE have already been black-listed in usa and europe for highly suspicious activities ( so be informed mr sell-man ) and india is welcoming them in the presidential team ?

but perhaps the goi is doing their own bollywood movie and including some ccp cast in the film :bhangra:
Huawei and ZTE got blacklisted in America and Europe because they the beating the local companiesit is pure protectionism under the cover of national security.

However, there is literally no telecom company that needs to be protected in India, one must wonder why are Indians banning Huawei and ZTE?

My wild guess is that Indians are blackmailing Chinese companies to turn in the telecom technology in exchange with the market share in India. It has been reported that both companies were demanded to have the source code screened by Indians, they did as they were demanded.

Smart move by Indians I must say, it wont take long for us to see an Indian telecom company rising from nowhere.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indian telecom industry will enact a 'Peaceful Rise'!

anoop_mig25

Country flag
that's right.

read what razor wrote, it is correct. xi jinping is the national leader, which is derived from his position in the politburo standing committee, not the title of "president".

though nowadays of course, the highest ranked member of the standing committee is also the president. xi jinping is, so was hu jintao before him.
You are confusing me who really is boss ??
Is it PM or is it President

i like american where President is the boss

Not Indian way where PM and its council of minister is boss.And now a days its not even PM its 10 janpath who boss

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

Not Indian way where PM and its council of minister is boss.And now a days its not even PM its 10 janpath who boss
10 janpath and 10 downing street unfortunatly we still follow the britards

but we dont follow when we come to Acknowledging the accomplishments of others, Accountability,Dignity of labor,Professionalism,Intellectual independence our bofoons AKA babus don't give a shit when we got two very friendly neighbors you guys know what i mean :D

nimo_cn

Country flag

There is no boss in the politburo, evey major decision has to be processed in a democratic way.

The president may have more influence on the table, but other members' votes are as effective as the president's.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Does this mean India will recognize Aksai Chin as a part of China?:shocked::faint2:

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Any word on the Tibetan Protests ? Maybe Sikkimese, Tibetans, Ladakhis and Arunachalis alongwith other sympathizers should protests against Chinese Premier's visit ?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Does this mean India will recognize Aksai Chin as a part of China?:shocked::faint2:
it may mean that both sides have to recognise that the final boundary line has to take the other's opinion into account

t_co

I wonder if the Chinese PM will enjoy any interaction with the Indian media.

He would not have the experience of handling questions that a free media normally asks, since in China it is a controlled media, and I think their leaders do not address Press Conferences.
Actually, Li did an extremely good job answering a blistering series of questions in Davos 2010 (the Q&A lasted nearly 90 minutes, if I recall, and it was in front of an audience of Fortune 500 CEOs and billionaires). Plus, I would be extremely surprised if he didn't have a few PR coaches cooking up canned responses to the most likely lines of questioning for him over the past month or so.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Bilateral ties will take a hit with no peace at border PM told Li. Also told him about need to have a mechanism on Brahmaputra.

ladder

Country flag
PM raises Chinese incursion with Li, voices India's concerns
New Delhi: In a firm message to China, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday night voiced India's serious concern over the recent Chinese incursion in Ladakh and told his counterpart Li Keqiang that in the absence of peace and tranquility along the border, bilateral ties will suffer as the two leaders held hour-long cordial but candid talks.

Li, 57, on his first foreign trip since becoming Prime Minister two months ago, met Singh at his official residence along with select number of aides from both sides when they exchanged views on the contentious boundary dispute, trans-border rivers and trade deficit.

Given that the meeting took place about a month after a 19 km deep incursion by the Chinese troops in Depsang valley in Ladakh which was resolved only two weeks ago, the focus was on the stand-off there and Singh conveyed India's serious concerns over the breach of status quo by China.

He emphasised that maintaining peace and tranquility along the Line of actual Control was essential for good bilateral ties, a point with which Li agreed.

The restricted talks were followed by a dinner which was attended by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj, BJP leader Arun Jaitley and CPM general secretary Prakash Karat.

Singh also raised "upfront" other issues of priority interest, including concerns on water flows of trans border rivers, especially in view of construction of three additional dams approved by China on Brahmaputra river.

India has been pressing China to have either a water commission or an inter-governmental dialogue to deal with water issues as under the current Expert Level Mechanism (ELM), the two countries only share hydrological information.

"The Prime Minister articulated views in constructive but firm manner," sources said, adding that stage is now set for the longer format of talks on Monday.

India has been pressing for clarification and confirmation on Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the India-China border areas pending the final settlement.

Noting that in the agreements worked out in 1993 and 1996 there were clarifications on the differing perceptions on LAC and exchanges on it, official sources earlier said somehow in later years, this went off the table from the Chinese side, probably because there was a sense that it may be taken as a default boundary.

Meanwhile, a Border Defence Cooperation Agreement proposed by China is also being discussed, the sources said.

External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and senior officials including National security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon, Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and India's Ambassador to China S Jaishankar from the Indian side were also present at the meeting between Singh and Li.

Singh also stressed the need to address the trade deficit which was highly in favour of China. India has been pressing China for access to the Chinese market.

In 2012, bilateral trade was USD 66 billion, a decline over the USD 74 billion in 2011. The two countries have set a target of USD 100 billion by 2015 for bilateral trade.

India faces a growing trade deficit viz a vis China. By end 2011, India's trade deficit was USD 27 billion. According to Chinese trade figures released in January 2013, the figure rose to USD 29 billion by 2012.

Apart from trade, India is also the largest market for project exports from China.

As per Chinese figures, cumulative Chinese investments into India till December 2011 stood at USD 575.70 million while Indian investments into China were USD 441.70 million.

Li, accompanied by a senior-level delegation comprising government officials and businessmen, arrived around 3 pm and was received by Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed and senior ministry officials including Mathai.

Earlier, in a written statement issued upon his arrival, Li extended sincere greetings and best wishes to the Indian government and the 1.2 billion Indian people on behalf of the Chinese government and the 1.3 billion Chinese people.

China and India are friendly neighbours linked by mountains and rivers, said the Chinese premier, hailing the development of bilateral relations since the two countries established diplomatic ties in 1950.

In the 21st century, political exchanges between the two countries are getting more frequent and practical cooperation is expanding, Li said.

Nowadays, both China and India are speeding up their development, making steady efforts to boost their economy and improve people's lives, and sharing deepening convergence of interests, he added.

Cooperation between China and India means that the two great civilizations can learn from each other, the two major markets complement each other, the two major emerging economies fulfill common development, and the two neighbouring countries achieve mutual benefit and win-win results, according to the statement.

Li said that it serves the fundamental interests of the two countries and their people and is a blessing to Asia and the world at large that China and India co-exist peacefully, maintain friendly relations and work together to realise national rejuvenation.

He also said that China regarded India as an important partner and friend, adding, "I am looking forward to exchanging views with Indian leaders on bilateral ties and regional and global issues of common concern."

Li also expressed confidence that his visit would strengthen mutual trust, deepen cooperation, expand common interests and consolidate bilateral friendship, which would inject new vigour into the China-India strategic and cooperative partnership designed for peace and prosperity.

Ahead of his visit, Li had said the fond memories from the visit, which he made 27 years back, also made him choose India for his first overseas visit.

On Monday, Singh and Li, accompanied by high-level delegations, will hold comprehensive talks on key bilateral, international and regional issues.

PTI
http://http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/li-holds-talks-with-manmohan-says-visit-will-inject-new-vigour_849484.html

Last edited:

t_co

Bilateral ties will take a hit with no peace at border PM told Li. Also told him about need to have a mechanism on Brahmaputra.
Can understand the Indian concern with trans-border water flows, but China is unlikely to budge on what it feels is its own right to develop hydropower on its territory as it sees fit - in China's view, a drop of water originating on Chinese soil but which eventually flows elsewhere is still Chinese for the duration it is flowing over Chinese territory. At most, China may proffer an MoU, but is unlikely to accede to any legally binding mechanism unless India accedes to an accord which offers a similar slice of Indian 'sovereignty', say, by explicitly guaranteeing the safety of Chinese shipping through the IOR, or territorial concessions along the LAC.

ladder

Country flag
Can understand the Indian concern with trans-border water flows, but China is unlikely to budge on what it feels is its own right to develop hydropower on its territory as it sees fit - in China's view, a drop of water originating on Chinese soil but which eventually flows elsewhere is still Chinese for the duration it is flowing over Chinese territory. At most, China may proffer an MoU, but is unlikely to accede to any legally binding mechanism unless India accedes to an accord which offers a similar slice of Indian 'sovereignty', say, by explicitly guaranteeing the safety of Chinese shipping through the IOR, or territorial concessions along the LAC.
There are guidelines on international water sharing which states the rights of lower riparian state cannot be undermined. It not what you believe that we here would consider. Neither we will let it as a negotiating tool for your so called " explicitly guaranteeing" something.
Also consider the fact that we are not the end state in any of the rivers, and are only mid riparians.
Agreement or non-agreement /MoU or not our interest needs to be protected, with talks or otherwise

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ball is actually in Chinese court on how to move forward and what kind of relationship they want with India. India has already shown (I disagree with that) with its pussyfooting on the standoff that it will try to pursue peaceful relations with China.

China is concerned about India on multiple issue and one of it is India "falling" to the US net in an anti China alliance along with Japan. I see that as a very likely scenario thanks to Chinas ill adviced move in Depsang.

So its really China which has to do all the running.

t_co

There are guidelines on international water sharing which states the rights of lower riparian state cannot be undermined. It not what you believe that we here would consider. Neither we will let it as a negotiating tool for your so called " explicitly guaranteeing" something.
Doesn't matter what international norms there are relating to international riparian water rights, since they're not legally binding - and even if they were, many of the rules are vague and mutually contradictory (see the Helsinki Rules vs. Berlin Rules, for example). China currently isn't a signatory to them and is under no obligation to respect them. Ergo, what India is trying to do is trying to change the status quo as it relates to Chinese accordance with international water sharing guidelines, and if India wants to do that, India has to offer a quid pro quo.

Also consider the fact that we are not the end state in any of the rivers, and are only mid riparian's.
That fact, ironically enough, makes any agreement on such issues even more difficult, as China could simply state that any Sino-Indian talks on the matter would be fruitless, and India should invite Pakistan and Bangladesh (e.g. lower riparian nations) into such talks as well in order to make them 'equitable' and 'comprehensive' under both Berlin and Helsinki Rules. Such a forum is unlikely to be friendly to Indian interests, so be careful what you wish for.

Agreement or non-agreement or MoU or not our interest needs to be protected, under talks or otherwise
Of course, and the same goes for the Chinese side.

t_co

Ball is actually in Chinese court on how to move forward and what kind of relationship they want with India. India has already shown (I disagree with that) with its pussyfooting on the standoff that it will try to pursue peaceful relations with China.

China is concerned about India on multiple issue and one of it is India "falling" to the US net in an anti China alliance along with Japan. I see that as a very likely scenario thanks to Chinas ill adviced move in Depsang.

So its really China which has to do all the running.
That belief won't lead to a healthy negotiating atmosphere. If India acts as if it holds all the cards in the relationship, then China may very well choose to tilt even more decisively towards Pakistan in South Asia and actively constrict India in South Asia and in international fora. Remember that Pakistan is the next stop on Li's trip, and Germany (the other major P5 candidate) is the final stop.

Beyond simply peaceful relations, both sides need to offer something on the table if they want the relationship to move forward.

ladder

Country flag
Doesn't matter what international norms there are relating to international riparian water rights, since they're not legally binding - and even if they were, many of the rules are vague and mutually contradictory (see the Helsinki Rules vs. Berlin Rules, for example). China currently isn't a signatory to them and is under no obligation to respect them. Ergo, what India is trying to do is trying to change the status quo as it relates to Chinese accordance with international water sharing guidelines, and if India wants to do that, India has to offer a quid pro quo.

That fact, ironically enough, makes any agreement on such issues even more difficult, as China could simply state that any Sino-Indian talks on the matter would be fruitless, and India should invite Pakistan and Bangladesh (e.g. lower riparian nations) into such talks as well in order to make them 'equitable' and 'comprehensive' under both Berlin and Helsinki Rules. Such a forum is unlikely to be friendly to Indian interests, so be careful what you wish for.

Of course, and the same goes for the Chinese side.
When did I say the guidelines are legally binding?
If that were I wouldn't written the rest of things I have written.
I can't help if you assume something.
I wouldn't go in detail as you have read the judgement so must be aware of the back ground of them.
so, its for you to now say if you can extract any "explicitly guaranteeing" from it?

secondly
We already have bilateral water treaty with both Pakistan and Bangladesh which supersedes such multiparty negotiations.
Also, you have conveniently missed the advantages of being a mid-riparian nation.

what India is trying to do is trying to change the status quo as it relates to Chinese accordance with international water sharing guidelines, and if India wants to do that, India has to offer a quid pro quo.
Well I could answer on it if it were a bit more explicit.

Of course, and the same goes for the Chinese side
And for what China can do or wants to do ,can probably do , must do, might do, this all will be well taken care of. No need to explicitly mentioning it we already know of it.

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
from the looks of it the ccp move to instigate panic via depsang has backfired - either that or perhaps the ccp was giving in to pla and then quickly smoothen teh effect by diplomatic circus reversal in delhi

- either way it doesn't put ccp in very good light internationally

regarding water , i think india should look for alternative resources - forget about downstream from tibet and we can also tell them that shipping is in our territory

- so it's a 2--way deal or nothing

again mms singh has shown himself to be reasonable if you are too but tough enough for wannabe bullies

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles