Chinese passing off fake drugs as "Made in India"..

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
C'mon we were the first country to reverse engineer Zidovudine. It is the drug for AIDS. It is a generic drug. We made it more potent.

johnee

India is no saint when it comes to fake drugs. It's rampant here.
Yusuf,
we need to understand the difference here. In India, fake drugs are not a direct Govt policy, they are a result of corruption at all levels. In China, this fake drugs seem to be the well thought-out official Govt policy to undermine the competition from a third country.

luckyy

India is no saint when it comes to fake drugs. It's rampant here. But it's usually a copy of the original, with the same brand name.Obviously it's spurious and injurious to health.
China doesn't leave its own kids and feeds them poisonous food.

But selling to a third country fakes with the branding of another country? Ingenious.
the difference between a electronics good and drug is that you just can't copy a drug coz it has a specific chemical composition which just can't be copied....you need to have the formula in your hand to make/copy that drug....

a fake drug is nothing but fake......it just can't cure the desease which it meant to........more over the patient can die as the fake drug won't work....

Pintu

C'mon we were the first country to reverse engineer Zidovudine. It is the drug for AIDS. It is a generic drug. We made it more potent.
Dear Satish, reverse engineering and making a drug more useful and faking a drug and playing with lives of innocent human beings are two different things. Latter is a crime against Humanity.

Regards

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Pintu mate...I am talking about our levels of pharmaceutical and genetic engineering. Why should we do fake drugs for international markets?

Koji

the difference between a electronics good and drug is that you just can't copy a drug coz it has a specific chemical composition which just can't be copied....you need to have the formula in your hand to make/copy that drug....

a fake drug is nothing but fake......it just can't cure the desease which it meant to........more over the patient can die as the fake drug won't work....
It is just as easy to copy a drug as it is to copy anything else. All you need is a good Organic Chemist and a spectrophotometer.

Pintu

Pintu mate...I am talking about our levels of pharmaceutical and genetic engineering. Why should we do fake drugs for international markets?
Satish, please don't misunderstand me , I'm not talking about us going for faking drugs but mentioned that Chinese act is a crime against Humanity.

Regards

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Satish, please don't misunderstand me , I'm not talking about us going for faking drugs but mentioned that Chinese act is a crime against Humanity.

Regards
That is not a word that exists in their dictionary...

luckyy

It is just as easy to copy a drug as it is to copy anything else. All you need is a good Organic Chemist and a spectrophotometer.

every drug has a fix chemical composite formula ..........

spectrophotometer can only detect specturum the chemical present...but not their composition and formula........

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Koji, you seem to know a lot about these things ??? Have you had any experience with such spurious drugs ???

Pintu

Dear Koji , how can that be possible with help of a spectrometer, can you share some views, through a spectrometer you can detect spectrum and chemicals but how can you copy a drug ?

Please share your knowledge on this.

Regards

Koji

Lucky, you are wrong.

Using tools such as NMR, IR spectrophotomer, heating/boiling pt, MW, you can easily piece together the composition and structure by combining each individual data they give about the compound.

For example: IR tells you which elements are in the compound, MW tells you how many of each atoms, Boiling point tells you the structure (ringed, branched, linear) NMR tells you how the hydrogen atoms are arranged (from that you tell whehter the atoms are single, double, or tripled bonded)

I took several ORGO classes in undergrad, so I understand the process quite well.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
You kidding right mate. C'mon man you must be joking stop it. I am a dentist. and I have been exposed to pharmacology. I know what happens in pharmaceutical labs. This is not easy at all.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Lucky, you are wrong.

Using tools such as NMR, IR spectrophotomer, heating/boiling pt, MW, you can easily piece together the composition and structure by combining each individual data they give about the compound.

For example: IR tells you which elements are in the compound, MW tells you how many of each atoms, Boiling point tells you the structure (ringed, branched, linear) NMR tells you how the hydrogen atoms are arranged (from that you tell whehter the atoms are single, double, or tripled bonded)

I took several ORGO classes in undergrad, so I understand the process quite well.
yeah?...try reverse engineering a generic drug mate. you think if it is so easy then the whole world would easily make drugs. Why all this hassle of single manufacturer, secret formula and all?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
yeah?...try reverse engineering a generic drug mate. you think if it is so easy then the whole world would easily make drugs. Why all this hassle of single manufacturer, secret formula and all?
Satish, with right tools it is easy to find the composition and formula of the drugs. Tools can range from mass spectrometry to NMR. But the setup required for doing this is very expensive as the machinery is very expensive and needs scientists to do this.

Koji

Uhh...It already does. What do you think the pharmaceutical labs are doing in India and China? The drugs they are producing are even under patent protection still. Also there is no secret formula. If the medication is prescribed to patients, then the information must be available to physicians. Dentists don't prescribe medications in Japan or the US.

Koji

Basic small scale drug synthesis is possible even by college students. You can make aspirin given the right tools: http://www.earlham.edu/~chem/chem111f03/labs/Experiment 11.pdf

Satish: Dentists in the US and Japan also are not required to take Organic Chemistry like physicians for entry into Dental school, so that might be why you are not familiar with the procedures.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Guys you have to agree with Koji. He knows best. The Chinese are experts in copying.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Genetic drugs cant be created by tools. You cant recombine DNA as easy as said. The Generic drugs and antibiotics are a whole different league and sometimes you have to build huge plants to extract a handful. It is very hard to reverse engineer genetic drugs.

Koji

Generic drugs cant be created by tools. You cant recombine DNA as easy as said. The Generic drugs and antibiotics are a whole different league and sometimes you have to build huge plants to extract a handful. It is very hard to reverse engineer generic drugs.
Ok...you CLEARLY don't know what you are talking about. Do you even know the definition of the word generic?

It means: is a drug which is produced and distributed without patent protection.

Now what the hell does that have to do with tools?

As for your comment about recombining DNA: DNA recombination is used in modern biological research for specific protein production. If you're any bit knowledgeable in the area, you'd realize that very few drugs are proteins (an exception is insulin). Most are molecular compounds and chemistry techniques are sufficient.

Regarding your claim about plant extracts: that is only used when scientists are trying to derive the initial characteristics of a compound when it is unknown. Once it is identified, the plant is no longer needed and usually large scale organic synthesis is used to mass produce the drug. I can give you an example of this procedure. Scientists looked at mammalian cells that had a innate mechanism to kill fungal infections. They isolated nystatin, found out what the structure is, and mass produced it WITHOUT the initial mammalian cells.

"It is very hard to reverse engineer generic drugs"
AGAIN, you have no idea what generic means do you? I wouldn't want you to be my dentist if you've already taken a pharmacology class.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles