Chinese Navy Destroyers

J20!

Country flag
C 803

It is a supersonic version of C 802. Speed is Mach 0.9+.
Correction my friend,

That is a YJ83 ASM/export designation C802A, only capable as you said of 0.9 mach; which is SUBSONIC, not supersonic. It was a slight improvement on the YJ8A, increasing range from 120km's to 180km's and warhead weight from a 165 semi-amour piercing to a 190kg semi-armour piercing.

Besides the Type 054A, this missile is features on the Type 022 FAC and type 056 corvettes:

This article is pretty accurate with the specifications of the YJ8 cruise missile family.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/...-missiles-the-yj-83-c803-and-the-family-tree/

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
Correction my friend,

That is a YJ83 ASM/export designation C802A, only capable as you said of 0.9 mach; which is SUBSONIC, not supersonic. It was a slight improvement on the YJ8A, increasing range from 120km's to 180km's and warhead weight from a 165 semi-amour piercing to a 190kg semi-armour piercing.

Besides the Type 054A, this missile is features on the Type 022 FAC and type 056 corvettes:

This article is pretty accurate with the specifications of the YJ8 cruise missile family.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/...-missiles-the-yj-83-c803-and-the-family-tree/
I don't get why Chins is using Harpoon class missiles that are obsolete.

J20!

Country flag
I don't get why Chins is using Harpoon class missiles that are obsolete.
Obsolete?

YJ83 ASM's and their air-launched variants are mostly deployed in large numbers aboard a wide variety of defensive=oriented vessels and aircraft around the Chinese Littoral, within the so called first-island chain.

That's 80+ 022 missile catamarans carrying 8 missiles each, 40+ Type 056 corvettes carrying 4 each type 054A's carrying 8 missile launchers each and the PLANAF JH7/JH7A fighter bombers and H6G missile carrying platforms...

Even assuming an availability ratio of 1:3 at any given time in the year, that comes up to 230+ YJ8A/YJ83/YJ83KA/YJ88 class missile launchers available along the North, East and South Sea Fleets..

The missile system is capable of storing four different attacking paths with a maximum of three waypoints each. This enables a single ship to launch a multi-axis attack, a significant improvement over the limited range of launch bearings of the earlier YJ-8 and C802 missiles.

Those missiles are far from obsolete and with their low procurement and maintenance costs, they're cheap enough to equip hundreds of littoral deployed vessels and aircraft. Any invader would have to face waves of them continuously and in the 100's.

Its a useful capability.

Which is why I think tens of countries still retain harpoon/RBS/Excocet/YJ83/C802A class subsonic ASM capability on their surface and subsurface fleets.

Doesn't the Indian Navy use harpoons on its P8Is?

Last edited:

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
Obsolete?

YJ83 ASM's and their air-launched variants are mostly deployed in large numbers aboard a wide variety of defensive=oriented vessels and aircraft around the Chinese Littoral, within the so called first-island chain.

That's 80+ 022 missile catamarans carrying 8 missiles each, 40+ Type 056 corvettes carrying 4 each type 054A's carrying 8 missile launchers each and the PLANAF JH7/JH7A fighter bombers and H6G missile carrying platforms...

Even assuming an availability ratio of 1:3 at any given time in the year, that comes up to 230+ YJ8A/YJ83/YJ83KA/YJ88 class missile launchers available along the North, East and South Sea Fleets..

Those missiles are far from obsolete and with their low procurement and maintenance costs, they're cheap enough to equip hundreds of littoral deployed vessels and aircraft. Any invader would have to face waves of them continuously and in the 100's.

Its a useful capability.

Which is why I think tens of countries still retain harpoon/RBS/Excocet/YJ83/C802A class subsonic ASM capability on their surface and subsurface fleets.

Doesn't the Indian Navy use harpoons on its P8Is?
Harpoons are the only missile P8I can use. We have a KH 35 or harpoonski as russians call it.

charlie

Country flag
I was speaking in terms of the program numbers and speed of deployment:

Atago -- two since 2004 launch (ended)
Sejong -- three since 2007 (3 more)
052D -- THIRTEEN (so far) since 2012 launch

Yes in terms of single ship firepower, the Sejong and Atago are even more powerful with 120 and 90 VLS respectively! But they are expensive, limited in numbers and will be matched by Type055.

China has very powerful neighbors who are racially similiar so this is sibling rivalry that will push China to advance faster and faster.
I saw a video about an American navy personal I don't remember who he was, but one thing he told was that Chinese Navy commission it's large platforms after just 3 or 4 months of testing, now if you work on such a large platform you know there are so many sync issues in the beginning and even after that is done you gotta test a lot of systems there is no way you can commission a large platform like that in 4 months when the world average is around 8 months to a year depending on how soon you would want it.

can you shed some light on this is it really 4 months or the US guy was just exaggerating

J20!

Country flag
I saw a video about an American navy personal I don't remember who he was, but one thing he told was that Chinese Navy commission it's large platforms after just 3 or 4 months of testing, now if you work on such a large platform you know there are so many sync issues in the beginning and even after that is done you gotta test a lot of systems there is no way you can commission a large platform like that in 4 months when the world average is around 8 months to a year depending on how soon you would want it.

can you shed some light on this is it really 4 months or the US guy was just exaggerating
I honestly don't know what the "world average" for sea trials is( does this include shipbiulder's trials or just end user trials ie those carried out by Navy personel) or how this "average" was calculated.

What I do know is that DDG 117 first went on her shipbuilder's sea trials in the 2nd quarter of 2016 after completing her fitting out process.

That period from the completion of fitting out to the commisioning date in January 2017 is significantly longer than the "4 months" noted by your US navy source, so I can't speak to his/her credibility.

charlie

Country flag
I honestly don't know what the "world average" for sea trials is( does this include shipbiulder's trials or just end user trials ie those carried out by Navy personel) or how this "average" was calculated.

What I do know is that DDG 117 first went on her shipbuilder's sea trials in the 2nd quarter of 2016 after completing her fitting out process.

That period from the completion of fitting out to the commisioning date in January 2017 is significantly longer than the "4 months" noted by your US navy source, so I can't speak to his/her credibility.
Well shipbuilder + end user.......

J20!

Country flag
Well shipbuilder + end user.......
Well either way, DDG117's trials were much longer than 4 months.

Do you have a link to the video? I'd like to go over it if possible.

charlie

Country flag
Well either way, DDG117's trials were much longer than 4 months.

Do you have a link to the video? I'd like to go over it if possible.
I tried to find the video but could not find it, If I see it again I'II post it.

shiphone

Country flag
I have to spend quite some time to check my info/image database to find this...
-----------------
this is the short construction/Introduction history of the 052C destroyer -PLAN DDG151(郑州舰), the fourth of this class...

1. Construction began on 16 Dec 2008
2. Keel laying on 28 June 2010
3. Launched on 25 June 2011
4. 1st Normal sea trail to test Power,Navigation, Communication systems between 10-31 May 2012
5. Phase I weapon sys test/ sea trial between 8-30 Jan 2013
6. Phase II weapon sys test/ sea trial between 13 Jun- 20 Aug 2013
7. Commissioned on 25 Dec 2013

normally the JN shipyard(the builder of Destroyer) would hand over the destroyer to navy within 30 month after the Launch. the whole construction period is contracted to about 60 months. the port trial and sea trial happend in the second half of the construction period...

obviously the first vessel of the class would have more tests and trials, normally extra months for test would be allowed by the user...but this didn't always happen because the 30 months are quite adequate for out-fitting + trial for the shipbuilder. and the core crew from the Navy would arrived in the shipyard before the lauch. in the rest time ,they accept the train and participate the whole port/sea trial for 30 months.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Good luck for India in their future corvette program :)

The current Chinese frigate and corvette programs are the Type 054A (22 launched and 5 building) and Type 056 (30 launched, 40+ planned.)

Type 054A :

Type 056 :
get some good anti missile system on board. The poor HQ series can not defend the warship against cruise missile strike. You need something like Barak 1 and LRSAM.

J20!

Country flag
Don't think I've seen a pic of a Type 052C firing an ASM before:

That's a ship launched version of the YJ62, so that basically confirms which ASM is mounted on the Type 052C.

This is the same missile that was test fired from "Woody island" in the Paracel chain of islands in the SCS last year:

@shiphone Could you help me out with the specs for the Yj62? Its a much larger missile than the YJ83 series, but I'm unsure about Janes' 400km range figure...

J20!

Country flag
Nanjing, the 9th Type 052D DDG under way for sea trials:

Whether these are shipbuilder's or end-user trials, IDK.

J20!

Country flag
Didn't know where else to post these GIF's of the Type 054A frigate. Considering the number of Type 054A hulls in service with the Chinese Navy, this vessels has been the back-bone of all three fleets:

28 vessels launched
23 Commissioned into the Chinese Navy
2 Still under construction
The Navy seems very satisfied with the Type 054A's capabilities

J20!

Country flag
Didn't know where else to post these GIF's of the Type 054A frigate. Considering the number of Type 054A hulls in service with the Chinese Navy, this vessels has been the back-bone of all three fleets:

27 vessels launched
23 Commissioned into the Chinese Navy
2 Still under construction
The Navy seems very satisfied with the Type 054A's capabilities
Missed one. Underway replenishment:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles