Chinese Moon Lander

Free Karma

well..the simple reason is that india is indeed much poorer than CHina.
Thats not the problem, the problem is chinese people pretend there are no poor people in China when they talk about poverty in India! How about letting news agencies have one free day yeah? :D

badguy2000

Respected Member
Thats not the problem, the problem is chinese people pretend there are no poor people in China when they talk about poverty in India! How about letting news agencies have one free day yeah? :D
you had better read some CHinese medias before you easily state that "CHinese people pretent there are no poor people in CHna"....

in fact, there are enough reports about the poverty in CHina on CHinese mediAS,,,,,however most indians and west reporters can not read CHinese ...so they keep tell others "there is not media freedom to report the poverty in CHina",,who can not read CHinese either,

Free Karma

you had better read some CHinese medias before you easily state that "CHinese people pretent there are no poor people in CHna"....

in fact, there are enough reports about the poverty in CHina on CHinese mediAS,,,,,however most indians and west reporters can not read CHinese ...so they keep tell others "there is not media freedom to report the poverty in CHina",,who can not read CHinese either,
Cmon man...are you actually denying that there are strong limits to journalistic freedom?

Anyway, my original point was about the difference in the reports of foreign media, which I said was caused by journalists are not being allowed to cover many things, in many cases not allowed to travel to "questionable areas" and people just not talking due to random fears.
a small example:
BBC News - Will China expel foreign journalists?
BBC News - Sorry, no comment - we might get invited to tea

But this is going off topic, this is about the moon lander, a proud moment for China, lets not take anything away from that,

if you want to discuss further, perhaps open another thread.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Cmon man...are you actually denying that there are strong limits to journalistic freedom?

Anyway, my original point was about the difference in the reports of foreign media, which I said was caused by journalists are not being allowed to cover many things, in many cases not allowed to travel to "questionable areas" and people just not talking due to random fears.
a small example:
BBC News - Will China expel foreign journalists?
BBC News - Sorry, no comment - we might get invited to tea

But this is going off topic, this is about the moon lander, a proud moment for China, lets not take anything away from that,

if you want to discuss further, perhaps open another thread.
west journalists are expels ,because they are challenge "political right" in CHina...

there are lots of unchallegable "political right" in west countries and india,such as " democratic is good, autocracy is evil, black are as smart as other ethnic"....etc..
for example,
if someone in USA question the IQ of black people, then he would be labled "racist" and paid high price for it,because " all races are equal' is "political right,althought it might "scientifically right".

what west journalists might be "scieentifically right",but obvioulsy "policitcally unright" in CHIna..so they deserve such "expel"..

Last edited:

t_co

Chinese equivalent of eBay is eBay, but as scammers.

DO NOT BUY FROM CHINA - The eBay Community
Are you seriously quoting a forum as a legit source?
@Free Karma
The Chinese equivalent of eBay is Taobao, the largest internet marketplace in the world.

Total Taobao Sales Exceeded 1 Trillion Yuan in 2012 — China Internet Watch

Recently, Alibaba Group announced that by Nov 30 in 2012, total Taobao sales (including Tmall and Taobao.com) exceeded 1 trillion yuan (USD160 Billion).
Online Marketplaces - U.S. sales on eBay grow 10% in Q4 - Internet Retailer

"¢ The value of goods sold to U.S. consumers through eBay's online marketplaces, excluding autos, increased 10.3% to $6.16 billion in Q4 from $5.58 billion in the same period a year ago. Global marketplace sales grew 9.6% to $16.5 billion from $15.0 billion in the same quarter last year. EBay earned commissions of $1.8 billion on those sales. Higher category sales in the areas of fashion, auto parts and accessories boosted U.S. sales on eBay, president John Donahoe told investors on eBay's earnings call yesterday.
Taobao does about 10x the volume of eBay and 4x the volume of Amazon.

Put another way, Taobao does as much e-commerce retail volume as the entire U.S. e-commerce retail market combined. Chinese economic power at its finest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Free Karma

Yeah I was surprised at how red it wars...it almost looked like mars! :D
Perhaps it's the camera/light they are using? The pictures from apollo were very grey/white.

Isnt that effect more optical than physical ?

ninja85

It's also partly because foreign news agencies in china only see what they're allowed to see , whereas over here they are allowed to go where ever and shoot whatever, the first place that these reporters go to is a random slum and adopt a condescending tone, theyve seen it so many times, that it's the only image that comes to their heads, the normal working guy doesnt even exist.

But that being said their poverty alleviation schemes seem to have worked quite well, I think by their definition it's about 150 mill, while it's around 300 here, going by the numbers you see on most reports.
actually it is very hard for brits to digest the idea that india which was their slave nation of dirty,dark people on whom they ruled is getting ahead in developing technology and well surely in economy,

while china was never really submitted itself to britain (if you get my point) so no jealously for them,no aid for them also.

Free Karma

pmaitra

This is a great achievement by the Chinese. Congrats. Chinese members should post more pictures.

shiphone

Country flag
I do suggest a blog here: emily-lakdawalla from The Planetary Society ---I thought we could get more valuable and interesting info from some professional website for popularization of science 。。。

about the The Planetary Society

Who are we? We are YOU!

We are dads, moms, grandparents, teachers, kids, scientists, engineers, and space geeks. We are those who reach out into the Universe to seek answers to those deep questions: Where did we come from?, and Are we alone?

We are wowed and awed by the discovery of new things, the mysteries of science, the innovations of technology, the bravery of astronauts, and by the stunning images sent back to us from other worlds.

We know that space exploration is vital to humankind...and it is just plain fun!

-Bill Nye, CEO
The Planetary Society

What we do

We create. We educate. We advocate.

With your support, The Planetary Society sponsors projects that will seed innovative space technologies, nurtures creative young minds, and is a vital advocate for our future in space.
----------------------------------------
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2013/12141328-six-wheels-on-soil-for-yutu.html

the Yutu rover rolling on to the lunar surface.-

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Why nobody say it is fake this time?
China lost contact with the probe according to nimo, so we will never know.

I for one want this mission to succeed. It would be nice for China to actually contribute to human knowledge for a change.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Can we please keep this thread limited to the Chinese Moon Lander?

Please avoid inflammatory comments.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Turned out the probe really did die when nimo said. He must have inside sources. :thumb:

Free Karma

China's imperiled Jade Rabbit moon rover: 'Goodnight, humanity' - CNN.com

China's brand new moon rover is already saying farewell.
The diminutive lunar explorer, known as Jade Rabbit, or "Yutu" in Chinese, was about halfway through a three-month mission to study the moon's crust when it suffered a potentially crippling breakdown, said state media.
The report, authored by China's state-run Xinhua news, was written in the voice of the rover itself.
"Although I should've gone to bed this morning, my masters discovered something abnormal with my mechanical control system," said the Xinhua report, in the voice of the Jade Rabbit. "My masters are staying up all night working for a solution. I heard their eyes are looking more like my red rabbit eyes."

"Nevertheless, I'm aware that I might not survive this lunar night," it added.
During a lunar night, which lasts about 14 Earth days, the moon's surface temperature can plunge to minus-180 Celsius. To make it through the cold, the lunar rover must "hibernate" to preserve its delicate electronics.
If a mechanical problem keeps it from hibernating properly, then the Rabbit could freeze to death.
Named after a mythical rabbit who lives on the moon, Yutu was a source of national pride when it launched into space last December along with the lunar lander Chang'e-3, named after the moon goddess who kept Yutu by her side.
The successful lunar landing made China the third country in the world to perform a "soft landing" on the moon's surface.
Earlier, Yutu and Chang'e survived their first lunar night together, from Christmas until the second week of January.
The Chang'e-3 lander successfully entered a second hibernation on Friday and is expected to function normally for another year.
"[Chang'e] doesn't know about my problems yet," said the voice of Yutu in the Xinhua report. "If I can't be fixed, everyone please comfort her."
On social media, thousands of Chinese internet users sent their well-wishes to the little robot.
"You have done a great job, Yutu. You have endured extreme hot and cold temperatures and shown us what we have never seen," wrote one microblogger, as quoted by Xinhua.
Another wrote: "This is too heavy a burden. If the rabbit can not stand again, maybe we should let it have a rest."
Despite the setbacks, even the little Rabbit seemed aware of the odds it had overcome.
"Before departure, I studied the history of mankind's lunar probes. About half of the past 130 explorations ended in success; the rest ended in failure," noted the Jade Rabbit in its report.
"This is space exploration; the danger comes with its beauty. I am but a tiny dot in the vast picture of mankind's adventure in space.
"The sun has fallen, and the temperature is dropping so quickly... to tell you all a secret, I don't feel that sad. I was just in my own adventure story - and like every hero, I encountered a small problem," said the Rabbit.
"Goodnight, Earth," it said. "Goodnight, humanity."
This is really sad :(
Oh well, alpaayush for Yutu, hopefully the others will last longer.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles