CHINESE Medium Altitude Long Endurance DRONES

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
@J20

I m in Chengdu now for my holiday, and the hotel nearby the No.132 factory, where J20 was born.
And i am still remember that just one day before 2011.1.11, Mr Armand2REP claimed it was just a wooden box, even the prototype J20 appeared in airfield... :biggrin2:

So i don''t think you need to take his judgement too seriously.
I think you need to show where I claimed J-20 was "just a wooden box." Consider yourself put on notice.

rockdog

Country flag
I think you need to show where I claimed J-20 was "just a wooden box." Consider yourself put on notice.
Your words about J20 at end of 2010, quite entertaining in fact:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/j20-stealth-fighter.17450/page-12

Everything posted here is either a photochop or a Russian aircraft. Now PLA has stated the new fighter is going to be based on J-10, that is what I am looking for.

Enough of the fuzzy fanboy photochops please.... Chinese cameras are not that fuzzy. They do have better than 1989 electronics. Take an F-22 and blur it is what you got there.

It is quite clear from the video it is no fighter. It is longer than an F-111 tactical bomber. The large canards reduce stealth and cause huge drag. If it is using a pair of WS-10s it is way underpowered for its size and can forget about supercruise. If this thing turns on its PESA radar it will be dead meat. This isn't a fighter at all, it is more in line with an F-117 stealth bomber.
:crazy:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

rockdog

Country flag
All you have done is cherry pick my comments about how blurry the photos were which is still a complaint eight years later. I am still waiting for the quote of J-20 is just a wooden box like you claimed I said.
Not only the photo stuff, about your ability of judgement.

"a photochop or a Russian aircraft"

"it is no fighter. It is longer than an F-111 tactical bomber."

"This isn't a fighter at all"

... any explanation?

rockdog

Country flag
All you have done is cherry pick my comments about how blurry the photos were which is still a complaint eight years later. I am still waiting for the quote of J-20 is just a wooden box like you claimed I said.
Plus this:

This is more of a tech demonstrator. It doesn't even have weapon bays.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/j20-stealth-fighter.17450/page-44

I see none...

Dude, J20 doesn't have any weapon bays.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/j20-stealth-fighter.17450/page-48

:crying:

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
Really? All you have is comments on blurry photos from 8 years ago. I expect you to back up your "just a wooden box" claim.
Dude, we all know the nonsense you posted about the J20 and other platforms was proven wrong on multiple occasions. Old troll new topics.

Where's the link? Trying to weasel out of providing a source for your made up numbers as usual?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Much obliged kind Sir. I'm assuming you know that a single UCAV system doesn't translate to one a single airframe. Each system comprises of the truck mounted control system and 3 UCAVs.
I am not sure how they calculate it and I am not denying 30 have been sold as the SIPRI only goes to 2016. What I do find strange is that the CH-4 unit cost is $23.3 million. Even with support cost included in a Reaper contract it is more expensive than what France is buying from the US.

J20!

Country flag
I am not sure how they calculate it and I am not denying 30 have been sold as the SIPRI only goes to 2016. What I do find strange is that the CH-4 unit cost is $23.3 million. Even with support cost included in a Reaper contract it is more expensive than what France is buying from the US.
30 UCAVs, associated weaponry, training, spares and support for $700 million is quite cheap considering that 10 years ago, Italy bought 4 MQ9's with the whole package costing $330 million. And that for reconnaissance airframes without hellfires or guided bombs.

Though Germany didn't complete its MQ9 purchase in 2008, its package for 5 airframes, one year of maintenance support, technical assistance, personnel training/equipment, spare and repair parts cost $205 million when the DSCA presented the deal to the US congress as a possible FMS.

Spain bought 4 MQ9s for $243 million in 2015.

CH4A/B's or Wing Loong I's are definitely far cheaper than MQ9s

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
30 UCAVs, associated weaponry, training, spares and support for $700 million is quite cheap considering that 10 years ago, Italy bought 4 MQ9's with the whole package costing $330 million. And that for reconnaissance airframes without hellfires or guided bombs.

Though Germany didn't complete its MQ9 purchase in 2008, its package for 5 airframes, one year of maintenance support, technical assistance, personnel training/equipment, spare and repair parts cost $205 million when the DSCA presented the deal to the US congress as a possible FMS.

Spain bought 4 MQ9s for $243 million in 2015.

CH4A/B's or Wing Loong I's are definitely far cheaper than MQ9s
How is it that we are getting ripped off with Reapers when we could have CH-4 that has "better performance than a US Predator drone, especially for effectiveness against ground targets" and is only a third the price?

J20!

Country flag
How is it that we are getting ripped off with Reapers when we could have CH-4 that has "better performance than a US Predator drone, especially for effectiveness against ground targets" and is only a third the price?
That sounds like a trick question.

Predator was the first generation of American turbo prop MALE UCAV's, and is steadily being replaced with the larger and more capable reaper. Spain, France and Italy operate the Reaper, not the predator

1. It's American, every component on the predator is going to be more expensive than its Chinese counterpart
2. All of the CH4's sold to Iraq where connected via LOS to the ground control unit, translating to much lower procurement and operational costs to the buyer. Only the Saudi airframes look to have satellite data link antenaes on board.
3. Service, training, maintenance and spares contracts on the predator are considerably more expensive.

I wouldn't claim that a CH4 UCAV System is comprehensively superior to the predator. Even Its successor the CH5, still has an inferior engine when compared to the Reaper(predators successor). But that performance gap is slowly closing.

+ CH4's are reportedly prolific in operational air to ground strike accuracy, so I wouldn't doubt that part if I were you.

Last edited:

rockdog

Country flag
Dude, we all know the nonsense you posted about the J20 and other platforms was proven wrong on multiple occasions. Old troll new topics.

Where's the link? Trying to weasel out of providing a source for your made up numbers as usual?
That's why i never take his comment seriously, his ability of judgement on J20 and other news were laugh stock in DFI, and i cited them on CD, it's really a classic joke even after 7 yrs in that Fourm, and when i see the No.132 factory yesterday in Chegndu, i suddenly recall it.:cruisin2:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That's why i never take his comment seriously, his ability of judgement on J20 and other news were laugh stock in DFI, and i cited them on CD, it's really a classic joke even after 7 yrs in that Fourm, and when i see the No.132 factory yesterday in Chegndu, i suddenly recall it.:cruisin2:
Let's see what some of the trending topics on CD are today...

India now dead meat ;) ;) ;)

The day China launch its nuke powered Carrier is the day India Bows down.

Will North Korea, Finally Destroy America?

China needs to take military action against South Korea

Dumb Japanese and Aussies, italians and Israelus, too, of course Indians

If that is the kind of clown company you keep on CD, I am more than happy to count myself as DFI.

rockdog

Country flag
That's what i said you are not Chini Expert at all.

If you are really familiar with Chinese cyber military community with professionals and fans, almost everyone fan knows the "CD" means: cjdby.net and its forum lt.cjdby.net.

I'v never heard CD means China Daily's forum... no professional mili fans go there...:hail:

You would ask J20, Badguy2000 in case.

J20!

Country flag
Chinese drone unmanned aircraft CH-4V in the Iraqi army aviation

http://www.eastpendulum.com/les-officiers-irakiens-parlent-du-drone-ch-4

Iraqi officers talk about the drone CH-4

BY
HENRI KENHMANN
2018-02-18

The Iraqi Ministry of Defense recently released a video on its Youtube channel to talk about the CH-4 military drones it has acquired from China in recent years.

These drones of Chinese origin, progressively delivered to the Iraqi Army's air force since 2014, have mainly contributed to reconnaissance and strike missions against terrorists in the northwestern part of Iraq.

According to the video's commentator, the CH-4s have already conducted as many as 260 Air-Ground strikes against the major targets of the Islamic State, with a 100% success rate. An Iraqi army brigadier general reports that the drone designed by the CAAA Institute of the Chinese aerospace group CASC has demonstrated its reliability throughout the missions assigned to it, and it is especially appreciated by the precision of its weapons to hit all kinds of targets on the ground, such as car bombs even before they get close to their victims.

An Iraqi commander adds that the drone has achieved "exceptional performances" during the battles in the provinces of Nineveh and Salah ad-Din, thanks to its reliability and the precision of its weapons and reconnaissance systems, to perform strikes in depth and without risking the lives of soldiers on the ground.

f we believe in the official records recently submitted by the manufacturer CAAA to the Chinese authorities for the nomination to the National Award for Scientific and Technological Progress (国家 科学 技术 进步 奖), about thirty CH-4 has already been delivered to customers as the l Iraq and Saudi Arabia, for a total amount that is close to 700 million US dollars.

The UAV has so far accumulated more than 1,000 sorties and 10,000 flight hours from customers, and fired more than 400 ammunition with a success rate of over 96% in real combat, and 100% in combat missions. 'training.

CAAA data specifies that the CH-4 of a maximum of 1350 kg can fly up to 40 hours with 100 kg of load, or 12 hours with ammunition up to 345 kg.

Henri K.

rockdog

Country flag
... ...
A report published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) in February said Iraq had imported 56 per cent of its arms from the United States over the past five years. However, Iraq’s defence ministry said in a report it had opted for the CH-4 over the US Predator because it was cheaper. A CH-4 drone costs US$4 million, while the US Air Force website says a package including four MQ-1 Predators and a ground control station costs US$20 million.

The SIPRI report showed that arms imports by states in the Middle East had risen 86 per cent in the past five years and accounted for 29 per cent of global imports, with Saudi Arabia being the world’s second-largest arms importer after India.

... ...

Chinese drone factory in Saudi Arabia first in Middle East

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...-drone-factory-saudi-arabia-first-middle-east

rockdog

Country flag
What’s Behind Indonesia’s China Drone Buy?

On February 25, reports surfaced citing sources within Indonesia’s military as confirming that the Southeast Asian state had agreed to acquire four drones from China. Though the reports are merely a reiteration of what Indonesian defense officials had said last year, they nonetheless reinforce Jakarta’s efforts to boost its capabilities in this respect and the inroads that Chinese drones are making in some key markets.

https://thediplomat.com/2018/02/whats-behind-indonesias-china-drone-buy/

J20!

Country flag
What’s Behind Indonesia’s China Drone Buy?

On February 25, reports surfaced citing sources within Indonesia’s military as confirming that the Southeast Asian state had agreed to acquire four drones from China. Though the reports are merely a reiteration of what Indonesian defense officials had said last year, they nonetheless reinforce Jakarta’s efforts to boost its capabilities in this respect and the inroads that Chinese drones are making in some key markets.

https://thediplomat.com/2018/02/whats-behind-indonesias-china-drone-buy/
Looks like Wing Loong I really has snagged another export order:

http://www.janes.com/article/78147/...-loong-i-uavs-from-china#.WpWCrnmadkQ.twitter

Air Platforms
Indonesia acquires four Wing Loong I UAVs from China
Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
25 February 2018

Key Points

• Indonesia has acquired four units of Wing Loong I UAVs with surface strike capabilities
  • Aircraft will be inducted with the country’s first composite UAV aviation squadron in West Kalimantan
The Indonesian government has acquired four strike-capable Wing Loong I medium-altitude, long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicles (MALE UAVs) from Chinese state-owned aerospace and defence company Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC).

A contract for the aircraft was signed in 2017, and the UAVs will be operated by the Indonesian Air Force’s (Tentara Nasional Indonesia – Angkatan Udara’s: TNI-AU’s) Aviation Squadron 51 (Skadron Udara 51), multiple sources from within the TNI headquarters in Cilangkap confirmed separately with Jane’s between 22 and 25 February.
The Wing Loong I UAV seen here in PLAAF livery. Indonesia has acquired four UAVs of the same type from China. (IHS Markit/Kelvin Wong)

Aviation Squadron 51 is based near the city of Pontianak in West Kalimantan, and the unit shares a runway with the Supadio International Airport. The squadron currently operates Israeli-made Aerostar tactical unmanned aircraft system (UAS) equipped with stabilised, gimbal-mounted electro-optic and infrared (EO/IR) sensor for surveillance missions. With the induction of the Wing Loong I, the unit will be Indonesia’s first composite UAV squadron with two different aircraft types.

The Wing Loong I was developed and manufactured by AVIC’s Chengdu Aircraft Design and Research Institute (CADI) subsidiary. It has a length of 8.7 m, a height of 2.8 m, and features a wingspan of 14 m. The aircraft has a maximum take-off weight (MTOW) of 1,150 kg and a payload capacity of 200 kg.

The UAV is powered by one piston engine, and has a service ceiling of 7,500 m (24,600 ft). It has a maximum range of approximately 108 n miles (200 km), and an endurance of about 20 hours. Payloads that can go on board the Wing Loong I include the DH-3010 search-and-rescue (SAR) radar, and the AVIC Luoyang LE380 EO/IR turret.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles