Chinese language to be introduced as part of CBSE curriculum: Sibal

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by EagleOne, Sep 15, 2010.

1. EagleOne

EagleOne Regular Member

BEIJING: Mandarin, the language spoken by majority of Chinese will soon be part of CBSE curriculum as India and China today discussed modalities to train a large number of Indian teachers to acquire the language skills to make it part of the syllabus.

"China is our powerful neighbour and emerging as a biggest consumer of global resources. We can not wish it away. The best way to introduce China in India is to introduce its language at primary level so that our kids develop interest and knowledge about China," Human Resources Minister Kapil Sibal said.

The issue figured high on his talks with China's Education Minister Yuan Guiren, who promised to work out modalities to train Indian teachers in Chinese language in India.

"Let us get enough Indians to learn Chinese. Let us have a lot of Chinese trainers in India who will teach the young students in schools. That is how we evoke interest in our kids about China. There is no other way to do it," Sibal told Indian journalists here.

Learning it at primary level is better than learning at tertiary level which is more of acidic interest, he said.

"I told Yuan I am willing to introduce Chinese in the CBSE system as a course. I can not do that unless I have standards and a there is a test. That can not happen unless I collaborate with you," said Sibal, who also took part in the World Economic Forum in Chinese city of Tiajin.

The Chinese side said that a two way programme can be worked out to train about 200 teachers. Some can come here to learn and other in India through different methods, the human resources minister said.

Sibal said he has already spoken to CBSE Chairman Vineet Joshi and obtained his consent to make Chinese part of its curriculum. It would be introduced as soon as teachers would be available, he added.

Read more: Chinese language to be introduced as part of CBSE curriculum: Sibal - The Times of India Chinese language to be introduced as part of CBSE curriculum: Sibal - The Times of India

3. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

one more sign of Indian government bowing down to almighty China and accepting the fact that China is next superpower in the making.

4. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

not bad i may say, it is always good to know your adversary and understand them well!

5. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

Not a bad initiative by Sibal.Learning a language doesnt mean GOI is bending down to chinese.Rather its a better way to know what chinese actually think is by knowing their language.Today india lacks the strategic chinese language experts in its ranks.Even china has introduced the learning of english ,hindi and sanskrit in its schools(citation needed).

6. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Nothing wrong in learning Chinese if people are interested. I think in some schools students have the option of learning french, arabic, sanskrit etc. In the same way China should be an optional language and should not be forced on students.

7. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

I am for it as well as against it. Instead of Chinese; it could have been better to have Russian, German, Japanese on. It is funny. An average Russian knows relatively more about India than an average Indian about Russia. Despite having 50 years of friendship, we don't have Russian in CBSE curriculum while Russians have introduced Sanskrit and Hindi big time in their courses. German and Japanese is very good from business perspective as with increased economic clout we will be dealing with these 2 countries a lot.

Knowing Chinese will not enable us to think like Chinese. It will only shed a lamp into what the common Chinese man thinks that has nothing to do with what PLA and CCP plan for us in future. Sibal is a man with mixed judgement; he comes out with some good plans and some of them really silly.

8. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

Learning Chinese is a pretty good idea. It would give a big advantage to students in the future when China would be one of the top economies. Also this move by the HRD ministry shows that India has moved on from the 60s mindset, when people were insular and English learning was opposed as it is the language of the 'enemy'.

9. navida

navida Regular Member

I support the idea. Knowing the language would help a great deal in understanding the Country be it for business , diplomatic or military purpose. We must also remember that many Chinese universities teach Hindi.

10. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

I still think that apart from colleges and academies offering defence and foreign policy education courses, central board in schools like CBSE should focus on first knowing friendlier languages more like Japanese, German, Russian, Spanish, Serbian etc.

11. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

What is CBSE, anyone care to explain?

12. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

CBSE - Central Board of Secondary Education. CBSE administers the secondary education in Schools all over India.

13. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

Brother, I agree that learning European languages has more advantages vis-a-vis today's corporate scenarios and increased global opportunities, but remember that China will become India's largest trading partner sooner or later & the trade between our economies will eclipse the trade we do with the whole western world. In such a scenario, it will become very important to have knowledge of Chinese language as people-to-people contacts will increase rapidly due to business and trade requirements, and this is something inevitable. Anyway, there are lot many avenues in India to learn most European languages available today but there's no such facility available for learning Chinese. So in a way, I think its a very good development coming from Mr. Sibal initiatives. Also, I agree with you that Russian language also deserves similar recognition in India, considering our 6 decade long relationship, but still there are avenues for learning Russian in India but hardly any for Chinese.

14. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

Good move, now, we can tell Keep the shut up in Chinese :D

15. this will be the greatest tragedy in human history since the holocaust.indian student are already burdened by 3 languages and now they want to add another and that too chinese.as far a i know chinese language has more than 10000 charecters. so it will take a student at least 20 years of patience to learn that.india has huge no. of languages -some regional languages can be taught.i think instead indian government should teach sanskrit language which is the mother of all indian language and whose literature is much more enriched than any known language in the world.

16. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Chinese must be learnt.

It will allow Indians to realise what the Dic-kens they are upto! :)

It is always good to know as many languages one can learn.

17. EagleOne

EagleOne Regular Member

have u seen a advt come in tv by econmic times (mostly) chinese teaches hindi in their schools so it that is not the case of bowing ....

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  18. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

There are many countries whose languages should have included in our curricul long back . Most Important is Russia. Our most trusted ally . Why no steps were taken to promote Russian language and culture in India.
    many people will come back with saying that keep your friends close and Enemies closer but people in India don't know that Indians support Chinese users as well. IT of my company support Chinese users along with other east Asian countries as well and that too in Mandarin . so I would ask why we are concentrating only for Chinese language only Why not Russian , German or French?They were bigger and better Economies compared to China. This new found love for Chinese language only shows submission to them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015