Chinese Language and its different dialects

nimo_cn

Country flag
I think he tried to say that chinese with different dialects cant understand each other. (Obviously he has never heard of Mandarin which is taught in PRC and ROC.)
No, he is trying to prove that differences between Chinese language and English language are more notable than those between Mandarin as spoken informally in Taiwan and official Standard Mandarin in Mainland.

He thinks Mandarin in taiwan and Mandarin in Mainland are mutually unintelligible groups as Chinese and English.

You need to spend more time to know more about Ray

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This is a discussion on the Chinese language that has been moved from another thread as it was OT there.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No, he is trying to prove that differences between Chinese language and English language are more notable than those between Mandarin as spoken informally in Taiwan and official Standard Mandarin in Mainland.

He thinks Mandarin in taiwan and Mandarin in Mainland are mutually unintelligible groups as Chinese and English.

You need to spend more time to know more about Ray
Taiwan was not a Chinese area historically.

Taiwan (excluding Penghu) was first populated by unknown peoples, then by Austronesian people. It was colonized by the Dutch in the 17th century, followed by an influx of Han Chinese including Hakka immigrants from areas of Fujian and Guangdong of mainland China, across the Taiwan Strait. The Spanish also built a settlement in the north for a brief period, but were driven out by the Dutch in 1642. The Chinese name of the island is "台灣" ("Taiwan", derived from an aborigine term), and in the past (from the 16th century) has been called Formosa (from Portuguese Ilha Formosa, " Beautiful Island") by the west.

The place of the Taiwanese identity (台灣人) in relation to the Chinese identity (華人) has been a matter of intense debate. While pro-unification Taiwanese (海外華人) prefer to think of the Taiwanese identity as a subset of the Chinese national identity, and instead describe the Taiwanese identity as a component of the Chinese diaspora (海外華人 or 華裔). However, pro-independence Taiwanese place the Taiwanese identity outside the Chinese national identity, and instead describe the Taiwanese identity as (海外台灣人 or 台裔).

In polls conducted by the National Chengchi University back in 1991, only 13.6% of respondents identified themselves as Taiwanese. This figure rose to 45.7% in 2004. In contrast, the number of respondents that identified themselves as Chinese was 43.9% in 1991 and fell to just 6.3% in 2004. Half of respondents responded with dual-identity, both Chinese and Taiwanese, and the statistic has remained steady with just a slight decline from 49.7% in 1992 to 45.4% in 2004.

nimo_cn

Country flag

Taiwan (excluding Penghu) was first populated by unknown peoples, then by Austronesian people. It was colonized by the Dutch in the 17th century, followed by an influx of Han Chinese including Hakka immigrants from areas of Fujian and Guangdong of mainland China, across the Taiwan Strait. The Spanish also built a settlement in the north for a brief period, but were driven out by the Dutch in 1642. The Chinese name of the island is "台灣" ("Taiwan", derived from an aborigine term), and in the past (from the 16th century) has been called Formosa (from Portuguese Ilha Formosa, " Beautiful Island") by the west.

The place of the Taiwanese identity (台灣人) in relation to the Chinese identity (華人) has been a matter of intense debate. While pro-unification Taiwanese (海外華人) prefer to think of the Taiwanese identity as a subset of the Chinese national identity, and instead describe the Taiwanese identity as a component of the Chinese diaspora (海外華人 or 華裔). However, pro-independence Taiwanese place the Taiwanese identity outside the Chinese national identity, and instead describe the Taiwanese identity as (海外台灣人 or 台裔).

In polls conducted by the National Chengchi University back in 1991, only 13.6% of respondents identified themselves as Taiwanese. This figure rose to 45.7% in 2004. In contrast, the number of respondents that identified themselves as Chinese was 43.9% in 1991 and fell to just 6.3% in 2004. Half of respondents responded with dual-identity, both Chinese and Taiwanese, and the statistic has remained steady with just a slight decline from 49.7% in 1992 to 45.4% in 2004.
Still can't prove that differences between Chinese language and English language are more notable than those between Mandarin as spoken informally in Taiwan and official Standard Mandarin in Mainland.

Can you understand this [1204][台湾综艺][康熙来了071204][罗志祥的大审判] - 视频 - 优酷视频 - 在线观看

and this ¤¤®É¹q¤l³ø¡GÀu½èÂ×´Iªº·s»D´CÅé

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Mandarin of Taiwan differs from the Mandarin of Mainland China in several ways. Most notably, Taiwan uses traditional Chinese characters, as opposed to China's simplified characters.

Many people also speak Taiwanese, also known as Hokkien. Other languages include Hakka, Formosan, and Japanese.

Taiwan also uses a different phonetic system from that of Mainland China. The phonetic system used in Taiwan is called Zhuyin Fuhao or Bopomofo. It is a set of 37 symbols which represent the various sounds of spoken Mandarin. These symbols are based on Chinese characters.

Taiwan Mandarin has many words and phrases that are not used in Mainland China. For example, the word for "bicycle" is 腳踏車 / 脚踏车 (jiǎotàchē) in Taiwan, and自行車 / 自行车 (zìxíngchē) in China.

The grammar of Taiwan Mandarin can also be different from the grammar of Mainland China. For example, the particle 了 (le), when used as a past tense marker, is often doubled in Mainland China, but used as a single sentence suffix in Taiwan.

There are also differences between the spoken Mandarin of Taiwan and the spoken Mandarin of Mainland China. The use of the Beijing retroflex "r" sound is rarely heard in Taiwan, and Pinyin "r" sounds are often pronounced as an "l" sound in Taiwan.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Ray, you are not going to admit you were wrong, are you?

nimo_cn

Country flag
Taiwan Mandarin has many words and phrases that are not used in Mainland China. For example, the word for "bicycle" is 腳踏車 / 脚踏车 (jiǎotàchē) in Taiwan, and自行車 / 自行车 (zìxíngchē) in China.
Funny, in my dialect, we say 腳踏車, too.

Sometimes we also say 单车.

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
The whole India was a British area historically.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Still can't prove that differences between Chinese language and English language are more notable than those between Mandarin as spoken informally in Taiwan and official Standard Mandarin in Mainland.

Can you understand this [1204][台湾综艺][康熙来了071204][罗志祥的大审判] - 视频 - 优酷视频 - 在线观看

and this ���ɹq�l��G�u���״I���s�D�C��
Please do not deflect.

English and Chinese cannot be the same as anyone who understands languages will know.

The issue is that the Chinese spoken around China and the Chinese spoken in Taiwan are not the same. I have given the examples.

And that the Chinese language is NOT the same spoken all around China. They are mutually UNINTELLIGIBLE.

That is why a Standard Chinese was ordered so that the Chinese desire to have all including barbarians (as the Chinese called the outer people) to become products of the assembly line to perpetuate the myth that all were Hans historically!

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
Please do not deflect.

English and Chinese cannot be the same as anyone who understands languages will know.

The issue is that the Chinese spoken around China and the Chinese spoken in Taiwan are not the same. I have given the examples.
No one said they are exacty the same.

But I can understand both, you can't understand either.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray, you are not going to admit you were wrong, are you?
Why?

I am not a Communist Chinese who is a robot to orders of the CCP.

I have explained, but then your assembly line minds cannot think beyond what the myth the CCP has indoctrinated in you!

nimo_cn

Country flag
Ray, I am noticing you are deleting many of my posts, most of which are on topic.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The whole India was a British area historically.
Thank you.

Your historical perspective would not overflow a postage stamp.

Were the Chinese in Taiwan before the Dutch?

Was Taiwan not inhabited originally by Austronesian people?

Your argument is so juvenile and must be treated with the contempt that it deserves!

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
Was India a country before British come?

Thank you.

Your historical perspective would not overflow a postage stamp.

Were the Chinese in Taiwan before the Dutch?

Was Taiwan not inhabited originally by Austronesian people?

Your argument is so juvenile and must be treated with the contempt that it deserves!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray, I am noticing you are deleting many of my posts, most of which are on topic.
No, I have not deleted any of your post.

Again deflecting and obfuscating and moving away from the issue?

I think I have deleted one post of Niceguy since all he had to say to the poster 'in ur dreams'. Hardly a proclamation from the Mount!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Was India a country before British come?
That way, to use your English syntax, was their a China before Xia or Shang Dynasty come?

Let me show it to you in an interactive illustration so that you have no doubt.

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
I am asking India .

That way, to use your English syntax, was their a China before Xia or Shang Dynasty come?

Let me show it to you in an interactive illustration so that you have no doubt.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Ray, are you contending that there are more language barriers between Mainalnd and Taiwan than India and Taiwan?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles