Chinese J-16 Silent Flanker ?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That would be the competing model from Shenyang. This design house isn't in the same league as Chengdu so I wouldn't be expecting much from it.

Minghegy

Some rumors said the other 5G fighter is : a one-piece canopy, DSI, no canard, two tails, traditional layout, single engine.
Very like F35, it will fly in this year.

Minghegy

Sorry.. click the pictures with right button, then select "view the picture" or "view the picture in new tab", that works.

Minghegy

I edited it, now you can simply click the four links to view them.
If still can't, then forget it, just a CG from fans.

badguy2000

Respected Member
here is one CG of J16

J16 project seems to exist indeed,and is reported to be one fight-striker like Su30MK...

Minghegy

They looked good, so I fixed it for Minghegy.
Thanks, here is another CG, a Su-27++

I remember a big forum guy said: China has two 4g birds, one tries to reach the top level of world, the other is cheaper and expected to sell in international market.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The weblinks given states 'Access Denied'.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is pretty intense considering that Chengdu has already reached the flight level with the J-20 eh? Wonder how far the Shenyangs have progressed.

Minghegy

This is pretty intense considering that Chengdu has already reached the flight level with the J-20 eh? Wonder how far the Shenyangs have progressed.
Shengyang is building a stealth version of Su27, it probably will fly in this year.
By the time the comparison between it and T50 will be the hot topic in every military forum.

Minghegy

The weblinks given states 'Access Denied'.
Old method, right click the broken picture, click "open image in new tab" or "view the image", then refresh two or three times.

p2prada

A second fifth gen prototype cannot be ruled out.

1) If this aircraft is supposed to be similar to T-50 then that would mean the J-20 is more of a strike type. Most probably it is a TD or a prototype for future strike variants.

2) If this aircraft is not in the same class as T-50, rather will fill the F35 or LFI class, then that would mean the J-20 is more air superiority than strike.

Conclusion: Since the aircraft carries at least 6 PL-12s and 4 PL-10s, it would be in the same class as a F-22 or T-50. Hence, Point 1 would be more accurate.

Minghegy

J20 was the winner of PLAAF bid, "J16" was the loser, in fact it doesn't have a J-xx code since it's not in PLAAF's inventory, so whether PLAAF will buy J16 is not sure.
But they are building, and I believe the prototype should be better than the losing design, then cooperation with foreign air-force and export will be very possible.

p2prada

J20 was the winner of PLAAF bid, "J16" was the loser, in fact it doesn't have a J-xx code since it's not in PLAAF's inventory, so whether PLAAF will buy J16 is not sure.
But they are building, and I believe the prototype should be better than the losing design, then cooperation with foreign air-force and export will be very possible.
If it is going to be a single engine design then there are possibilities for export. Twin engine 5th gen platforms are only for economically sound countries. I don't think China has a foreign air force that can partner with a 5th gen program so quickly. China's richest strategic partner is Russia followed by Pakistan. Russia has its own designs and Pakistan is a victim of its own designs. So, collaboration is out of the picture.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles