Chinese Dissident Wins Nobel Peace Prize

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
The Nobel Peace Prize 2010 was awarded to Liu Xiaobo "for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China".

Liu Xiaobo - Biographical

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
JAI ho Norway for not getting bullied by china.

amoy

:happy_2: when did China bully Norway?

honestly at the 1st glance I mistook him for another Liu Xiaobo a famous writer who died years ago.

As for this Liu, I know nothing... :emot154: Similarly Gao Xiao-Jian who won Nobel Literature Prize (also a dissident) was hardly known either at that time. Then Dalai Lama, well known.

But it's healthy for china that different voices (esp. of minority opinion) are heard across the whole spectrum...

nimo_cn

Country flag
That is good news, hope he is gonna share the prize with me.
1 million $, that is a lot of money.:emot112:

johnee

Its clear that nobel peace prize also has agenda. Why care for this biased prize? Someday, they may decide to give this peace prize to our very own Arundhati Roy as well... :angry_1:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

honestly at the 1st glance I mistook him for another Liu Xiaobo a famous writer who died years ago.

As for this Liu, I know nothing... :emot154: Similarly Gao Xiao-Jian who won Nobel Literature Prize (also a dissident) was hardly known either at that time. Then Dalai Lama, well known.

But it's healthy for china that different voices (esp. of minority opinion) are heard across the whole spectrum...
just to jog you memory 10 days back....

China warns Norway against peace Nobel for dissident

Lundestad, who organizes the meetings of the secretive five-member Nobel Peace Prize Committee, said China's Deputy Foreign Minister Fu Ying met him during a visit to Oslo this summer to deliver the message.

"(Such a decision) would pull the wrong strings in relations between Norway and China, it would be seen as an unfriendly act," Lundestad told Norwegian news agency NTB, repeating Fu's comments during their meeting at the Chinese embassy in Oslo.
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20100928/tap-oukwd-uk-norway-nobel-china-03b3b4c.html

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Its clear that nobel peace prize also has agenda. Why care for this biased prize? Someday, they may decide to give this peace prize to our very own Arundhati Roy as well... :angry_1:
IT has no hidden agenda and prize went to most deserving person. I salute to awards committee for not buckling down to Chinese pressure.

johnee

IT has no hidden agenda and prize went to most deserving person. I salute to awards committee for not buckling down to Chinese pressure.
Well, the 'deserving-ness' of a person is always debatable. For instance, the nobel committee does not find Mahatma Gandhi to be 'deserving' enough for the prize. So each to his own.

Most often the prize is given to those who the west(EU) seek to encourage. It was given to Obama last time, remember.... :)

amoy

Sakharov,Andrey Dmitriyevich won the Peace Prize in 1975 as a dissident for "compassion, freedom, truth"

he lamented the collapse of Soviet Union later.

We need such idealists. Of course sometimes I say they're way too 'naive'

johnee

If some Indian get happy at a Chinese dissident getting this award, then it will be similar to Pakistanis' showing glee if say some Kashmiri separatist or a maoist sympathiser get this award. Dont get me wrong, I am not comparing India with China or Pakistan, but we must understand that just because this award aims at China, we should not legitimise it. Because the same instrument can be used against us as well.

China is our enemy and competitor in many ways. But, in the complex world, enemy of enemy is not always a friend.

SHASH2K2

Well, the 'deserving-ness' of a person is always debatable. For instance, the nobel committee does not find Mahatma Gandhi to be 'deserving' enough for the prize. So each to his own.

Most often the prize is given to those who the west(EU) seek to encourage. It was given to Obama last time, remember.... :)
Wether he deserved the prize or not is debatable and we can argue about it for years but You have to give credit to that man to stand up to CCP oppression and Prizing comitee to stand up to Chinese bullying. .

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Now before you start accusing me of being a commie...

The Nobel peace prize is now just a political tool, If the West goes against India I'm sure they'll award it to Arundhati Roy

Minghegy

His famous saying: China should be colonized 300 years.
hehe, he just is a joke.

SHASH2K2

haha . the only value of Nobel peace prize is to discomfort CCP and encourange those CCP-haters.
You are CCP or CCP hater? As per you Normal Chinese should be least bothered about this issue or maybe happy as he was fighting for them .

badguy2000

Respected Member

Liu is the guy who insisted once that China should be colonized by west countries for 200 years.

badguy2000

Respected Member
You are CCP or CCP hater? As per you Normal Chinese should be least bothered about this issue or maybe happy as he was fighting for them .
Frankly speaking, Liu Xiaobo is a extreme rightist in China.

In China, those democary-advocaters are usually called "rightists" while Maoist-advocaters are usually called "leftists".

Those guys who advocates complete westernization are called "extreme rightists" ,such as Liu Xiaobo.

Those guys who advocates to resume Maoism are called 'extreme leftists".

Both "extremt rightists" and "extreme leftists" are rejected by Chinese mainstream.

Either "extrem rightists " or "extreme leftists" has their cyber base camps on internet , such as б-èۿ- (extreme rightists' cyber base camp)
and http://www.wyzxsx.com/ (extreme leftists' cyber base camp).

Both "extreme rightists" and "extreme leftists" are mutual natural enemies ,but strangely they have common in hating CCP today.
"extreme rightists" such as Liu Xiaobo hate CCP for they think CCP is the evil obstagle of complete westernization.
"extreme leftists" bash CCP ,for they think CCP today is the traitor and revisionists.

However, to my surpise, CCP doesn't censor their cyber base Camps such as "http://club3.kdnet.net/list.asp?boardid=1(CCP-hater's cyber base camp)" and "http://www.wyzxsx.com/(extreme leftists' cyber base camp). ", although those websites bash CCP and China's status quo all day and all night.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles