Chinese Destroyer Lanzhou Arrives in Sri Lanka

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Please explain how it helps You mean that right now that old Sand and mud bridge is a security threat
Well not the security part, but the dredging allows the vessels to pass through the Sethu (rather than around Sri Lanka), nullfying the significance (economic) of Hambantota.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I believe that Sri lanka is completely aware of our concerns and will not go against India .
Infact Sri Lanka provided port access to Pakistani vessels in one of the Indo Pak wars (I forgot which one). Apparently this is why Indira Gandhi gave 'moral support'++ to the LTTE

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
^^^
@ lurker

Please explain how it helps You mean that right now that old Sand and mud bridge is a security threat
It opens up a shorter route to the Straits of Malacca for the international shipping.

It also helps India to monitor the activities, both in the commercial as also in the security realm.

The importance of such a sealane with both sides habited by a Tamil population is indeed, from, if only for India's security angle, very conducive.

However, apart from religious, environmental and financial reasons, it is said that the difference with the Sethu Samudram project is that the ships will probably save a few hundred miles and at the most two hours in sailing time.

pankaj nema

Country flag
So far the benefits of dredging the Ram sethu have been presented as that of ONLY for saving time and Fuel
NEVER has any security BENEFIT been presented by the Govt or the Navy

If there was any security gains to be had then GOI would have said that VERY loudly
Then ALL opposition to it would have simply melted away

pankaj nema

Country flag
Hambankota's location is very attractive
If it is being developed as a free trade zone cum port then SL economy would be deeply benefited

Let the Chinese spend their money They have too much money .
Our interests are safe

If Chinese navy comes for fuel and other supplies at Colombo or Hambankota then we can surely live with it.

A military base or radar station or even military planes hovering frequently is UNACCEPTABLE .

GOI and SL govt must have chalked out India's RED lines

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So far the benefits of dredging the Ram sethu have been presented as that of ONLY for saving time and Fuel
NEVER has any security BENEFIT been presented by the Govt or the Navy

If there was any security gains to be had then GOI would have said that VERY loudly
Then ALL opposition to it would have simply melted away
There is no security threat per se.

It is security gain.

It is like going through a Strait and the advantages thereof.

Like people having to pass through your driveway to go to the house behind.

Of course, unlike other narrow passages, in this case, there is always the option of circumventing of Sri Lanka for the international shipping.

Ports and free trade zones are not of security concern. What is, is the electronic surveillance capabilities that are surreptitiously and even in connivance that is set up.

The project is expected to provide a boost to the economic and industrial development of coastal Tamil Nadu. The project will be of particular significance to Tuticorin harbour, which has the potential to transform itself into a nodal port. The State Government has announced its proposal to develop 13 minor ports, including Ennore, Cuddalore, Nagapattinam, Thondi, Valinokam, Kolachel and Kanyakumari.

It is said in commercial circles that saving time and distance is of great importance since it affects commercial turnaround, reduces wasting time to get berths, and more so, in these days when the tariff is going up.

But then, yes, there are pros and cons of the project and views on either side very strong.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Tarun SL is moving too close to China for our comfort. Rajakapse is going to make india pay for not supporting him during the war.
Much unlike Pakistan, which can seek Chinese intervention in a conflict over the Himalayas, Sri Lanka cannot do that, in a hypothetical scenario where India goes on an offensive against Sri Lanka. China simply doesn't have a carrier fleet to speak of, a branch of military that functions like the Marines, nor does it have the kind of vessels or quantity of transporter aircraft that can deploy large number of troops to Lanka. Further, it can't choke our sea routes, or it will end up choking its own (since India is en route China). I'm fairly sure Sri Lanka can't afford to see India as dispensable.

SHASH2K2

with LTTE gone and Sri lankans getting weapons from China and Pakistans we donot have much leverage over Srilankans. Given kind of problems we are facing we cannot even dream of supporting Tamil unrest in Sri lanka and direct military is ruled out. We donot have balls to take military action against Srilanka . If we donot play our cards well sri lanka is definitely going against us. Though Sri lanka will not do anything militarily to piss us off but politicaly they have already given enough indications that they favour china to us. Time has come to topple Rajapakse government.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
LTTE is gone.

The concept continues to flourish or so they claim.

Iamanidiot

LTTE is gone.

The concept continues to flourish or so they claim.
Sir,to put it plain and simple without PC LTTE was destroyed because Karunanidhi and Jayalaltihaa wanted it to be destroyed.Rajapakse would not have won the war if South India provided logistics to Prabhakaran

nimo_cn

Country flag
Warships from India, pakistan and Russia also arrived at the Colombo port Tuesday to attend the anniversary celebrations.
I really don't understand why China is being singled out and condemned.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is a mixed bag that you see.

Some think it is dangerous and some think it is routine!

No reason to feel bad.

nimo_cn

Country flag
It is a naval anniversary ceremony, it consists with the etiquette for China to send a warship to celebrate.

If it was an exclusive naval drill between China and SL that China is taking part in, then it warrants an alarm.

sob

Mod
Country flag
The Sri Lankan President is trying to play India against China and also India against Pakistan. SL is under the impression that with this they will be the net gainer in the whole deal, but what they have not realised that the embrace from the Dragon can be very suffocating and overpowering.

If push comes to shove then the GOI can definitely rake up the war crimes issue and also the slow pace of rehabilitation of the SL Tamils. With elections around the corner in Tamil Nadu the heat on President Rajapakse is going to increase, exponentially.

Parthy

Air Warrior
It is a naval anniversary ceremony, it consists with the etiquette for China to send a warship to celebrate.

If it was an exclusive naval drill between China and SL that China is taking part in, then it warrants an alarm.
If China sends it for any naval drill, they know very well it sends an open invitation to confront IN.. But Chinese are well known to have an internal abstraction in all its policies...

They say "PLA in PoK is for flood relief measures and not for any military build up"
They say "Rail route connecting China from the Chinese constructed Ports in Pakistan is for pure trade purpose"
They say "Ports constructed in SL and Bangladesh is for trade and commercial purpose"

China is one aggressive belligerent liar... :emot154:

nimo_cn

Country flag
If China sends it for any naval drill, they know very well it sends an open invitation to confront IN.. But Chinese are well known to have an internal abstraction in all its policies...

They say "PLA in PoK is for flood relief measures and not for any military build up"
They say "Rail route connecting China from the Chinese constructed Ports in Pakistan is for pure trade purpose"
They say "Ports constructed in SL and Bangladesh is for trade and commercial purpose"

China is one aggressive belligerent liar... :emot154:
Then how about you giving us some suggestions regarding how China should react to the invitation to this ceremony, so that India won't be feeling offended?

Maybe instead of sending a warship to attend the naval ceremony, China should send a cargo ship.

Any evidence showing the ports being constructed are not for commercial purposes?

Last edited:

Parthy

Air Warrior
Then how about you giving us some suggestions regarding how China should react to the invitation to this ceremony, so that India won't be feel offended?

Any evidence showing the ports being constructed are not for commercial purposes?
Unfortunately, SL's trying to play with a trump card here hoping to get some gain out of it ... Mostly by financial support from China for its hard hit economy.

Actually, what is the point in showing the evidence that the ports are not constructed for trade?? You keep on denying the facts and proof.. Initially, China has rejected the proof given by NRSA when it identified that China is constructing a DAM blocking Brahmaputra... Later on, you changed your position saying that its purely for power generation not in sense to affect the water flow....

Below is the proof for the above mentioned instance...

The National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA) has confirmed that China is constructing a dam on its side of the Brahmputra River, reports claimed on Wednesday.

In a presentation made before the Committee of Secretaries (CoS), the NRSA presented concrete evidence suggesting construction activities, movements of trucks, and excavations being carried out in and around the Zangmu site.

As per a newspaper report, the CoS, after examining the facts and evidence, decided to take up the case with the External Affairs Ministry considering the sensitive nature of the input.

The meeting was also attended by the RAW chief, representatives of Environment, Water, Power and External Affairs Ministry, which collectively decided to step up monitoring of the alleged construction works on the Chinese side of Brahmputra River.

Although China's claims to building the dam to meet acute water shortages, the findings of NRSA has given credence to New Delhi's concerns that lower riparian countries like India and Bangladesh would be at China's mercy during the dry spell and for protection from floods during the rainy season.

The development comes nearly a month after reports claimed that China has started constructing a huge dam on its side of the Brahmputra River – known as Tsangpo River in Tibet.

The dam is being constructed at a place called Namcha Barwa on the eastern plateau of Tibet. It is at this point in Tibet that China is reportedly building the world's largest dam, with 26 turbines, expected to generate 40 million kilowatts per hour of hydroelectricity.

There is sufficient evidence to suggest that the Zangmu hydroelectrical project was inaugurated on March 16 this year and the first concrete was poured on April 2.

A consortium of five top Chinese power companies is overseeing the 1.138 bn Yuan project.

The Tsangpo makes a steep drop here which makes the site crucial for the construction of a huge dam. It is said that the power output could be twice the output of the famous Three Gorges Dam over the Yangtse.

River Brahmaputra is very important for India and Bangladesh. The Brahmaputra River basin in India is most generously gifted with a fabulous water wealth that accounts for nearly 30% of the total water resources and about 40% of the total hydropower potential of the country.

For Bangladesh, the River is even more crucial as it provides for fresh water and the annual gift of the fertile silt for farming.

However, the Chinese government had then categorically dismissed claims that Beijing plans to divert the Brahmaputra River that flows from Tibet into India.

China's Minister for Water Resources, Wang Shucheng, then said the proposal was "unnecessary, unfeasible and unscientific," and had no government backing.

Wang's comments appeared to be part of an official effort to quell Indian fears that China has designs on the river water.

Offering their support to the project, some Chinese engineers have reportedly suggested that the dam could provide cheap electricity for India, Nepal and Bangladesh, and that the dam could facilitate flood control in the Brahmaputra-Ganges basin.

However, it is also believed that the diverted water from the river would irrigate the northwestern part of China's Gobi desert in Xinjiang and Gansu, up to 400 miles away, and refill the dying Yellow River, which now runs dry for much of the year.
Can you deny this proof??

How many do you want like this?? Time will come to provide enough proof to say that these ports are not for trade purpose..

But this is of no use.. You keep on denying that... It suits to say - China is one aggressive belligerent liar...

nimo_cn

Country flag
Unfortunately, SL's trying to play with a trump card here hoping to get some gain out of it ... Mostly by financial support from China for its hard hit economy.

Actually, what is the point in showing the evidence that the ports are not constructed for trade?? You keep on denying the facts and proof.. Initially, China has rejected the proof given by NRSA when it identified that China is constructing a DAM blocking Brahmaputra... Later on, you changed your position saying that its purely for power generation not in sense to affect the water flow....

Below is the proof for the above mentioned instance...

Can you deny this proof??

How many do you want like this?? Time will come to provide enough proof to say that these ports are not for trade purpose..

But this is of no use.. You keep on denying that... It suits to say - China is one aggressive belligerent liar...
Mr Parthy, when you are engaged in a discussion wth someone, at least you need to know what subject we are talking about.

We are talking about Chinese warship showing up in SL to celebrate the 60 anniversary of SL navy, a move of pure etiquette but being interpreted as a provacation against India by you. So now I am asking you what kind of belligerence is being displayed in this?

And I am asking for evidence showing China is using the ports for military purposes, don't dodge the question by throwing something else at me.
By evidence, I mean material that can tell China is projecting naval force there like using those ports as naval bases and deploying warships there.

Next time if you are trying to troll again, I am gonna report your posts.

Parthy

Air Warrior
Mr Parthy, when you are engaged in a discussion wth someone, at least you need to know what subject we are talking about.

We are talking about Chinese warship showing up in SL to celebrate the 60 anniversary of SL navy, a move of pure etiquette but being interpreted as a provacation against India by you. So now I am asking you what kind of belligerence is being displayed in this?

And I am asking for evidence showing China is using the ports for military purposes, don't dodge the question by throwing something else at me.
By evidence, I mean material that can tell China is projecting naval force there like using those ports as naval bases and deploying warships there.

Next time if you are trying to troll again, I am gonna report your posts.
Mr.nimo_cn... This is a debate. Instances will given to prove facts...

I have given the chinese act during the Brahmaputra DAM issue.. - This is purely an Instance/example. This is to prove the two level chinese policies.. In other way can say it as double-layered.. showing something else to the international community and have some hidden value for them..

In regarding the material proof to the Chinese intention on ports in SL, hope ,my previous post answers

Time will come to provide enough proof to say that these ports are not for trade purpose..
Normally, I wanted my posts to be more precise rather than typing it big.. -- Again this line has a double layered truth "Bit lazy for typing".. Sounds like a policy similar to the above?? :emot15:

Don't get emotional mate.. I don't have any personal concern on you.. So am not going to report your post.. :happy_2:

nimo_cn

Country flag
Mr.nimo_cn... This is a debate. Instances will given to prove facts...

I have given the chinese act during the Brahmaputra DAM issue.. - This is purely an Instance/example. This is to prove the two level chinese policies.. In other way can say it as double-layered.. showing something else to the international community and have some hidden value for them..

In regarding the material proof to the Chinese intention on ports in SL, hope ,my previous post answers

Normally, I wanted my posts to be more precise rather than typing it big.. -- Again this line has a double layered truth "Bit lazy for typing".. Sounds like a policy similar to the above?? :emot15:

Don't get emotional mate.. I don't have any personal concern on you.. So am not going to report your post.. :happy_2:
Time will tell? That is a brilliant argument, no wonder you have the nerve to troll without addressing any of my questions.

Time will tell you are a plain and big troller.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles