China's space station

pmaitra

France is partnered in the ISS, like most of the advanced nations.
France doesn't quite count as an advanced nation, when it comes to space. Perhaps ESA does.

In space, the three countries that can be called advanced are:
  1. Russia
  2. USA
  3. PRC
In that exact order.

Being able to independently send humans into space, and more importantly, being able to bring them back alive, alone sets these three countries far ahead of ESA, or for that matter, India or Japan.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
France doesn't quite count as an advanced nation, when it comes to space. Perhaps ESA does.

1. Russia
  2. USA
  3. PRC
In that exact order.

Being able to independently send humans into space, and more importantly, being able to bring them back alive, alone sets these three countries far ahead of ESA, or for that matter, India or Japan.
France runs ESA so little difference. Manned space flight began as part of the space race to see who had the biggest chip on their shoulder. Now even USA has let the shuttle retire without replacement because it isn't that important. It is about satellites and automated capsules now and France is a world leader... ahead of China.

pmaitra

France runs ESA so little difference. Manned space flight began as part of the space race to see who had the biggest chip on their shoulder. Now even USA has let the shuttle retire without replacement because it isn't that important. It is about satellites and automated capsules now and France is a world leader... ahead of China.
No, it's not about satellites.

The very achievement of sustaining human life in outer space, makes Russian, US, and now Chinese endeavour far ahead of launching satellites. There is a huge technological gap here, and no, you are; and let me pause here a bit - you are completely wrong in comparing satellite launches with human space flight, to the point I'll have to say you are living in la la land. Wake up. Forget Russia and US, France has a lot of catching up to do, even when it comes to PRC.

Sorry, but this is the bitter truth.

GromHellscream

1. Russia
  2. USA
  3. PRC
In that exact order.

In fact, you are a little overrating China's capabilites in space technology.

Considering high thrust rockets, the rank should be US/Russia/EU >> China/Japan > India.

Considering satellites and other unmanned payloads, the rank should be US > EU/Japan > Russia > China/India.

Considering manned payloads, the rank should be US > Russia >> EU (if they have money, they can succeed in short time)/China > India (at least you have money, will finally succeed someday) > Japan(no money no intention = no future).

In fact, with the only six players in space race right now, China can hold a good position in team B and that's all.

Last edited:

pmaitra

In fact, you are a little overrating China's capabilites in space technology.

Considering high thrust rockets, the rank should be US/Russia/EU >> China/Japan > India.

Considering satellites and other unmanned payloads, the rank should be US > EU/Japan > Russia > China/India.

Considering manned payloads, the rank should be US > Russia >> EU (if they have money)/China > India (at least you have money) > Japan(no money no intention = no future).

In fact, with the only six players in space race right now, China can hold a good position in team B and that's all.
I am not considering high thrust rockets. I am considering human space flight. Was that not clear in my post?

The technological gap to reach high thrust rockets is much smaller than with manned space flight. I hope I am quite clear and specific now.

pmaitra

Guys, especially Armand2REP, I strongly recommend reading this book. It will give you a very good understanding of the point I am trying to make, that you are so completely oblivious of.

P.S.: Yes, I had purchased 7 copies, and have 4 copies of this book in my possession. Don't ask me why. I bought each copy for Rs. 27, from Manisha Granthalaya, that used to sell subsidized books supplied to India by the USSR.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No, it's not about satellites.

The very achievement of sustaining human life in outer space, makes Russian, US, and now Chinese endeavour far ahead of launching satellites. There is a huge technological gap here, and no, you are; and let me pause here a bit - you are completely wrong in comparing satellite launches with human space flight, to the point I'll have to say you are living in la la land. Wake up. Forget Russia and US, France has a lot of catching up to do, even when it comes to PRC.

Sorry, but this is the bitter truth.
Not really, setting up lunar and martian bases sounds nice, but it isn't going to advance the human race to make it worth the cost. What did the USSR's space programme bring to advance the world? Pretty much nothing. CCP won't be any different since they are working on things already invented.

pmaitra

Not really, setting up lunar and martian bases sounds nice, but it isn't going to advance the human race to make it worth the cost. What did the USSR's space programme bring to advance the world? Pretty much nothing. CCP won't be any different since they are working on things already invented.
Your statement is correct, but that does not change the fact that sustaining human life in space is a huge technological advancement over the largest satellite that ESA has ever launched into GEO. I cannot make it any more unambiguous.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
sustaining human life is no more difficult than on a submarine. it is the spacecraft that is complicated and we already have that technology.

pmaitra

sustaining human life is no more difficult than on a submarine. it is the spacecraft that is complicated and we already have that technology.
The lack of gravity alone makes a space station significantly different from a submarine. Getting people back through the atmospheric re-entry safely is something submarines do not have to deal with it. Then there is orbital correction, orienting the solar panels and not spinning out of control, manual and automatic docking. France does not have that technology. If they need it, they can buy it from Russia, US, or PRC, if one of the latter three are willing to sell, i.e..

Read that book.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
France has all the technology for operating a spacecraft. We just choose not to put people in it but that is changing with our automated cargo pod being converted to carry astronauts. Setting up zero G living quarters really is no great feat.

pmaitra

France has all the technology for operating a spacecraft. We just choose not to put people in it but that is changing with our automated cargo pod being converted to carry astronauts. Setting up zero G living quarters really is no great feat.
Let France build one. At the moment, Russia, US, and PRC, are way ahead of France. Loving your country is good, but don't live in denial. France doesn't have to be ashamed of not being able to do what the Soviets did in 1961 (actually before, with Belka and Strelka). Only 3 countries have this capability.

Again, read that book. You have little idea of what you are talking about.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
There is no shame when there is no need. I don't need to read a book about it a dick contest.

pmaitra

There is no shame when there is no need. I don't need to read a book about it a dick contest.
Exactly. Since there is no shame, there should be no desperation to prove 'France has the technology,' when ESA was chasing the Russians for a pie in their Clipper project. ;)

It had better not be a dick measuring contest, because, when it comes to space, a Russian, American or Chinese dick is girthier than a French one.

Illusive

Country flag
China has done a great job,well done.

Btw, sending humans to space is ok, like a space station, but beyond that its unnecessary. Machines can do any job for us. The ultimate goal of these explorations and billions of dollars of investment is to find a solution to extract mineral rich planets and asteroids and get them to planet earth so that we can use it and these space faring nations could profit from their endevours.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles