China's High Speed Rail Network

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Indeed, especially with more others stationed in India.
Why only India? Waht about Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos, Kampuchea, Taiwan, Korea, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Nepal and overall USA and UK?

you are so focused on India !

When did Indian terrorist ever created a problem for China?
On the contrary Chinese train armies of terrorist and give them weapons and finances !!

Open your half closed eyes man.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Don't worry. Your absence won't make any HSR a waste.
It was a genuine concern. We hear reports of high speed rail being under utilized and being in a loss. I love fast trains and wish they come to India soon.

AprilLyrics

Congrats. I hope people start to use your high speed rail and it's not wasted.
from Beijing to Shanghai,it took about 4 hours.

i travelled by it last summer vacation.my hometown is near Beijing,and First station out of Beijing to Shanghai,it took me less than 20 minutes from Beijing to my hometown.that time,the SHanghai hi-speed tain accident just happened a few days ago,so the railway department didnt limit the speed yet.and it appeared the fastesd speed on that way was about 250km/h(or 300?i forgot.).and now they low down the speed to 200km/h.

before the hi-speed train in operation,it took me about 2 hours by car,or 2 hours by train to Beijing.

hbogyt

I think that high-speed rails have the potential to solve the over-population and pollution by motor vehicles in urban areas. In England, the appearance of suburbs followed the advent of mass transit, which dispensed with the necessity of living close to the factories where labourers worked. Nowadays, in China, if every individual of urban population is to have a comfortable amount of living space, then they would be spread over an area so large that regular trains would not be able to ferry them into the city in time for work. With high-speed trains, however, it becomes possible for people to reside afar and do everything else in the city.

This initiative may not turn a profit, but it may do a service for the people, in time. Good on them.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This initiative may not turn a profit, but it may do a service for the people, in time. Good on them.
High speed train is a luxury. I don't think any government can subsidize it. The cost of maintaining it will be high. If enough money is not coming in, there is a chance of compromise which can effect safety.

We have seen in India how normal trains itself are subsidized and how dismal the safety record is as there are no funds to improve safety and bring in modern technology

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Speed thrills and kills!

hbogyt

High speed train is a luxury. I don't think any government can subsidize it. The cost of maintaining it will be high. If enough money is not coming in, there is a chance of compromise which can effect safety.

We have seen in India how normal trains itself are subsidized and how dismal the safety record is as there are no funds to improve safety and bring in modern technology
In the current economic climate in China, this is better than dumping money on projects that yield no marginal utility whatsoever.

huaxia rox

Speed thrills and kills!
well sometimes low speed can also kill........physically mentally and even economically....mankinds usually prefer high speed if possible....so we keep chanllenging speed of by and large everything.

btw according to the pics....this bullet train should be for testing right?

pmaitra

First of all, thanks to cir for posting the photos.

I think PRC must be congratulated because they are showing some commendable progress when it comes to building high speed trains. Yes, there was a bad accident recently. We Indians hardly have a right to critisize PRC when our own trains, that are much slower, get into so many accident with many casualties.

High speed trains are a necessity. How fast do we want to go? Very high speed trains require a lot of track maintenance, train maintenance and technological investment. If we cannot run such trains without making minimum profits, of course we will not do it. We have to let the public know that there has to be a limit on how much we can subsidise. For example, traveling by the Mumbai Suburban System, a passenger pays only 7 paise per kilometre. This is super cheap. If we really want IR to improve infrastructure, increase trains and their speed, we have to shell out more. Eventually, it all depends up to the passengers.

India can also build high speed trains. On one side, we cannot raise the fares too much, on the other side we cannot remain at the speeds we are operating trains at the moment. A point of balance between train fare and speed has to be found.

cir

It was a genuine concern. We hear reports of high speed rail being under utilized and being in a loss. I love fast trains and wish they come to India soon.
Try to buy a ticket, especially 2nd-class seats, for high-speed trains (not to be confused with those which run on the ordinary tracks) and you will realize how ridiculous some of the reports are.

cir

Harbin-Dalian HSR Ready to Rock in July 2012
24 October 2011
by David Feng

And it rocks exactly a year after the Beijing-Shanghai HSR took off.

The Harbin-Dalian (Hada) HSR (哈大高速铁路) will be ready to ferry riders from Heilongjiang's capital, Harbin, down to Dalian in Liaoning, in under 4 hours' time as of July 2012. (The original line was scheduled for a 1 October 2011; however, Sheng Guangzu, the present person in charge of the Chinese mainland authorities responsible for railway transport, delayed this and nearly all projects.) Trial runs (not carrying passengers) are tentatively scheduled for early March 2012.

If trains running on this line are also "extended" to Beijing, travel time will fall from over 9 hours to less than 6 hours, based on a rough calculation and with the present temporary speed limits considered. That's about 2 hours faster than the original Beijing-Harbin Railway before the temporary speed limits were introduced.

Final station for this line up in northeastern China is the Harbin West Railway Station, which will host Harbin Metro Line 3 upon its completion in late 2012. This new station easily knocks the existing two stations, Harbin and Harbin East, off the map in terms of size, traffic and glitziness.

This line will service northeastern China's Heilongjiang, Jilin and Liaoning provinces, and call at four major train hubs: Harbin (West), Changchun, Shenyang and Dalian. In the city of Changchun, riders can also change to express intercity trains headed to the city of Jilin (inside the province of Jilin — confused?"¦).

We are predicting that the CRH380 trains will service this new line as the present-day CRH5 trains are too slow (this line is designed for speeds up to 350 km/h, but CRH5 trains "max out" at a "mere" 350 km/h).

The other difficulty is the weather in this part of China. Winters here can be hellishly cold, so no "real" work can get underway during the final months of the year. The opening next year ends a 5-year HSR marathon for northeastern China.

Travel time from Beijing to Harbin will further fall to around 5 hours (based even on the temporary speed limits) if future trains leave Beijing via Beijing South via Tianjin to Tangshan, Qinhuangdao, Shenyang and Changchun before reaching Harbin. Ultimate relief comes in the form of a totally-new Beijing-Shenyang HSR, which, when it opens by late 2015 (according to the 12th Five-Year Plan), will slash travel time to 4 hours if trains run at the maximum speed limit — 350 km/h — throughout.

Harbin-Dalian HSR Ready to Rock in July 2012 | Dear Passengers

The 1000km Beijing-Shijiazhuang-Zhengzhou-Wuhan high-speed line is also scheduled to open,possibly in Spring 2012

mahesh

Country flag
is this train without any problems like the speed trains which crashed previously ?

amoy

Agree that profitability and sustainability are genuine concerns. Perhaps slightly different from India, in China many of public utilities are subsidized, such as city bus, metro, and even heating system in the North... Many projects shouldnt have been built if merely measured by profitability. For example many metros can only churn out a margin through property development along their lines. Then subsidizing equals to redistributing wealth collected by tax.

Let's compare, HSR fare for a 274km trip in China (Xiamen-Fuzhou) @ RMB 81 2nd class, 98 1st class

What will it cost in IN for a similar distance by train?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles