China warns Japan against stationing workers on disputed isles

Ash

Country flag
TOKYO/BEIJING (Reuters) - China said it would not tolerate provocation on Tuesday after Japan's top government spokesman said the country might station government workers on disputed islands in the East China Sea to defend its sovereignty.

Relations between the world's second- and third-biggest economies, have been strained over the uninhabited isles which Japan controls but both countries claim. The isles are known as the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyu in China.

A year ago on Wednesday, the Japanese government bought three of the isles from a private owner, inflaming anger in China where there were big anti-Japan protests over the purchase.

Aircraft and ships from the two countries have played cat-and mouse in the vicinity of the islands ever since, raising fears that an accidental encounter could spark conflict.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, speaking on the eve of the anniversary, said it was "extremely regrettable" that Chinese government ships had repeatedly entered what he described as Japan's territorial waters.

The government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was making "resolute but calm responses to defend our territory, territorial waters and airspace decisively", he said.

"Our country will never make a concession on the matter of sovereignty," he said.

Asked if Japan might station government workers on the islands, Suga said: "That is one option".

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei expressed "serious concern" about his remarks.

"The Chinese government has an unshakeable resolve and determination to protect the country's territorial sovereignty and will not tolerate any provocative acts of escalation over China's sovereignty," he told a daily news briefing.

"If the Japanese side recklessly makes provocative moves it will have to accept the consequences."

Relations between the neighbours have also been shadowed for years by what Beijing says has been Tokyo's refusal to properly atone for wartime atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers in China between 1931 and 1945.

In the latest incident off the islands, seven Chinese patrol ships entered what Japan considers its territorial waters near them on Tuesday, Japan's coastguard said.

Hong said it was a normal, routine mission.

On Monday, Japan scrambled fighter jets when it spotted what appeared to be an unmanned drone aircraft flying towards Japan over the East China Sea.

It was not clear what country the unidentified aircraft belonged to but Japan's Foreign Ministry had made an inquiry about it with the Chinese side, Suga said.

Japanese Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera said on Monday that Japan would be on guard for the first anniversary of Japan's purchase of the islands.

"September 11 was the day when the flare-up of tension between Japan and China was triggered. I think a firm posture is being called for," Onodera said.

SHARENET - Your Key To Investing on The JSE Securities Exchange - South Africa

Himanshu Pandey

they are testing waters.. to choose first victim... but IMO it will be Philippine to face china first

EXPERT

TOKYO/BEIJING (Reuters) - China said it would not tolerate provocation on Tuesday after Japan's top government spokesman said the country might station government workers on disputed islands in the East China Sea to defend its sovereignty.
a[/url]

I would seriously not tolerate if i get more salt salt in my MONCHOW NOODLES while eating chinesse food . it will be taken as threat to my sovereignty . i possibly sue all the chinese workers....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Has China threatened the US that they should not occupy the White House since that is theirs as per some 'discovered' map that it belongs to China?

Ash

Country flag
Has China threatened the US that they should not occupy the White House since that is theirs as per some 'discovered' map that it belongs to China?
Hi Ray, with regard to the ' map' that your quote refers, I think you are talking about the fleets of Chinese Admiral Zheng who visited the Americas prior to European explorer Christopher Columbus.

You should read Gavin Menzes, 1421, the year China discovered the world. Admittedly it is controversial, but some of the evidence that he provides is quite convincing, at least to me, that is.

The book also reveals how closely the Indians, especially ones from the Malabar coast, worked with the Chinese. It would be good to see such a relationship these days.

Country flag
China needs to prove they are right by going to war all this talk of territorial claims is rhetoric
Military solution is the only answer for china.

amoy

How can Japanese be stationed on such barren rocks?

China Coast Guard shoulder by shoulder with Japan Coast Guard

no smoking

Country flag
China needs to prove they are right by going to war all this talk of territorial claims is rhetoric
Military solution is the only answer for china.
Maybe not. China can send the marinetime police to arrest those "workers". Then Japanese will also send some of their policemen to protect them. So, finally, there'll be a kongfu contest on that island. The result will depends on who got more man power and more boats.

No matter what is the result, it gives a perfect excues to China to get her government workers on that island, that has never happened before. After that, Japan will get company not only in the sea, but also on the rock. What a wonderful move. Sometimes, I just think these Japaneses politicians are some Chinese spies.

aerokan

Country flag
How can Japanese be stationed on such barren rocks?

China Coast Guard shoulder by shoulder with Japan Coast Guard

If Japanese can't be stationed on those barren rocks.. why cry? :taunt1:

aerokan

Country flag
Maybe not. China can send the marinetime police to arrest those "workers". Then Japanese will also send some of their policemen to protect them. So, finally, there'll be a kongfu contest on that island. The result will depends on who got more man power and more boats.

No matter what is the result, it gives a perfect excues to China to get her government workers on that island, that has never happened before. After that, Japan will get company not only in the sea, but also on the rock. What a wonderful move. Sometimes, I just think these Japaneses politicians are some Chinese spies.
So you expect Japanese to listen to your advice and do nothing and let Chinese nibble away the island like everywhere else? Japanese are not like us. They know abt China better than anyone else.They are capable of pulling a Chinese on Chinese any time if you understand what I mean.

CCTV

So you expect Japanese to listen to your advice and do nothing and let Chinese nibble away the island like everywhere else? Japanese are not like us. They know abt China better than anyone else.They are capable of pulling a Chinese on Chinese any time if you understand what I mean.
Well, see if Japanese listen to your wise idea then.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles