China wants more aircraft carriers to compete with India

SHASH2K2

China wants more aircraft carriers to compete with India

BEIJING: A serving Chinese military general is citing India's capabilities in his efforts to edge the government to have more than one aircraft carrier. General Luo Yuan, a senior researcher with the Academy of Military Sciences, said China needs at least three aircraft carriers to defend its interests in the face of neighbors developing their capabilities.

"If we consider our neighbors, India will have three aircraft carriers by 2014 and Japan will have three carriers by 2014," General Luo was quoted as saying by Beijing News. "So I think the number (for China) should not be less than three so we can defend our rights and our maritime interests effectively."

China recently confirmed it was revamping an old Soviet ship to be its first carrier. The state media broadcast footage of its first carrier in a rare public mention of the project. The moves added to worries in the Asian region about Beijing's military expansion and growing assertiveness on territorial issues.

The government tried to reassure neighbors that its first carrier would be used only for the purpose of training and research and there was no plan for aggression involved.

"We are currently re-fitting the body of an old aircraft carrier, and will use it for scientific research, experiments and training," defence ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng told a news briefing.

The latest statement from General Luo shows there has been some rethinking, and Beijing is prepared to talk about using aircraft carriers for war preparedness. The general represents a government academy that plays a role in the military planning process.
China is worried that Japan's three carriers, which are at present used for helicopter operations, would eventually be converted into full aircraft carriers. The two countries have serious disputes over some islands.

The United States indicated it was happy China had taken a step toward better transparency by openly discussing the issue about aircraft carriers.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Good to know there is one field China is playing catch up with India and admits it!!

redragon

Country flag
What about democracy? Human rights? Freedom of speech and press?
We don't consider India has advantage on these. Democracy? =>more corruption, Freedom of Speech and press?=> did you resolve anything by using that? Human rights?=>live shorter life with far less mordenized materials?. No, thank you, but no.

redragon

Country flag
Good to know there is one field China is playing catch up with India and admits it!!
That is right, Catching up and pass in short time, that is the story happening in China for the past 30 years

Oracle

We don't consider India has advantage on these. Democracy? =>more corruption, Freedom of Speech and press?=> did you resolve anything by using that? Human rights?=>live shorter life with far less mordenized materials?. No, thank you, but no.
Maybe you do not. US does and so do all amongst the developed world.

Democracy? =>more corruption - No corruption in a one party Monarchy in China? :pound:

Freedom of Speech and press?=> did you resolve anything by using that? - You need to follow Indian politics more to comment on that. Karnataka CM PWND for corruption, and this is just one case.

Human rights?=>live shorter life with far less mordenized materials? - Coming back to the toilet discussion, are we?

plugwater

Unless we sort out our ship building capability we ll lose our edge in that too.

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
You don't live longer with communism, it just feels like that because of all the restrictions you know.

redragon

Country flag
Maybe you do not. US does and so do all amongst the developed world.

Democracy? =>more corruption - No corruption in a one party Monarchy in China? :pound:

Freedom of Speech and press?=> did you resolve anything by using that? - You need to follow Indian politics more to comment on that. Karnataka CM PWND for corruption, and this is just one case.

Human rights?=>live shorter life with far less mordenized materials? - Coming back to the toilet discussion, are we?
Please, I am 100% admit USA has those advantage, but 100% sure India does not. Clear?
I am not the one start the comparison, You are.
Now I am very happy to go back on discussion, with the ship building capability China possess, I believe China will not be a lot behind India to have the third A/C built, and China may have heavier A/C, actually more close to US Navy standard.

redragon

Country flag
You don't live longer with communism, it just feels like that because of all the restrictions you know.
Can you post any link from "Free Western Media" to prove Chinese has shorter life span than Indian?

Oracle

Please, I am 100% admit USA has those advantage, but 100% sure India does not. Clear?
I am not the one start the comparison, You are.
Now I am very happy to go back on discussion, with the ship building capability China possess, I believe China will not be a lot behind India to have the third A/C built, and China may have heavier A/C, actually more close to US Navy standard.
OK mate. Sorry for deflecting.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Can you post any link from "Free Western Media" to prove Chinese has shorter life span than Indian?
I never argued such a thing, it was you who claimed Chinese communism guaranteed longer lifespan, see the bold part of your quote in my previous post.

Until you can build nuclear powered aircraft carriers don't even think you are close to the U.S standards.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
China needs 'three aircraft carriers': general

China needs 'three aircraft carriers': general
(AFP) – 10 hours ago
BEIJING — China needs at least three aircraft carriers to defend its interests, a general said, days after the state media broadcast footage of its first carrier in a rare public mention of the project.
"If we consider our neighbours, India will have three aircraft carriers by 2014 and Japan will have three carriers by 2014," General Luo Yuan, a senior researcher with the Academy of Military Sciences, was quoted as saying by Beijing News.
"So I think the number (for China) should not be less than three so we can defend our rights and our maritime interests effectively."
His comments, published Friday, came after China sought to downplay the capability of its first aircraft carrier, saying on Wednesday the vessel would be used for training and "research".
Beijing believes that the three Japanese carriers it referred to, built for helicopter operations, could eventually be converted into full aircraft carriers.
China recently confirmed it was revamping an old Soviet ship to be its first carrier, a project that has added to regional worries over the country's fast military expansion and growing assertiveness on territorial issues.
"We are currently re-fitting the body of an old aircraft carrier, and will use it for scientific research, experiments and training," defence ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng told a news briefing.
Asked whether the carrier's addition to China's military arsenal would significantly raise the country's military capability, Geng said only that to "overrate or underrate the carrier's role are both incorrect".
The United States on Friday welcomed China's mention of the carrier, calling it a step toward better transparency between the Pacific powers.
China's People's Liberation Army -- the largest armed force in the world -- is extremely secretive about its defence programmes, which benefit from a huge and expanding military budget boosted by the nation's runaway economic growth.
The PLA also operates the country's navy.
AFP: China needs 'three aircraft carriers': general

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Three aircraft carriers deployed where? Let's see the map here for better understanding:

There are only two areas where the AC can be deployed: South China Sea alongside Vietnamese waters and the other one along the Sea of Japan extending into the Pacific Ocean. Don't tell me they want to step on the time bomb by sending one to IOR. :doh:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
"If we consider our neighbours, India will have three aircraft carriers by 2014 and Japan will have three carriers by 2014," General Luo Yuan, a senior researcher with the Academy of Military Sciences, was quoted as saying by Beijing News.
"So I think the number (for China) should not be less than three so we can defend our rights and our maritime interests effectively."

So if we go for 10 they will also go for 10, is that logical ??

huaxia rox

What about democracy? Human rights? Freedom of speech and press?
timing......my indian friend....if PRC has had become a democracy like india PRC would already become another africa (if not india) now.

now can u enlighten me whats the difference between the indian type of democracy.......and the kind of iraq or afhganstan??where there r indeed free election, press freedom, and the so-called human rights? and that were set up by their formor masters like the US or UK???

huaxia rox

back to the article....AC is not for competing with india in the near future unless IN comes to south china sea. chinas AC is to 1st deal with japan and ultimaetly the US when we may have to take taiwan back via military force. 2nd using AC we can protect our interests in south china sea much better.

so i actually dont know why this author would use the title....

Illusive

Country flag
I think its not just India, but Japan and US too. China has a long coastline and being a regional power, it should have a more that 3 aircraft carries.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles