China says Tibet policy 'correct', no turning back

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@bennedose,

China can do no wrong.

She never does any aggression. She merely 'liberates' the people who are 'oppressed'!

And then not only oppresses, but wipes out their vestiges.

Last edited by a moderator:

bennedose

I wonder why China has to specify now that their Tibet policy is correct and there can be no turning back? Are they suddenly worrying that they will lose face by faltering in the face of protests?

The protests are very much there. When the Chinese took over Tibet, the insurgency started and continued without the Dalai Lama's permission. The Dalai Lama is the spiritual and titular head and no Tibetans want technology or material goodies from him and will not even ask him for those things. However the Tibetans are free to take anything they like from the Chinese and consider themselves free to protest at what they don't like. It is the protests that are embarrassing the Chinese and make them come out with absurd self reassuring statements about how right they were, and are and always will be.

If my brother immolates himself for free Tibet - he dies but my children and his children will bear a grudge for life. each immolation represents another 50 years of resistance. A lot of single Han children will be old ollld men but the resistance will continue. Tough shit.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If my brother immolates himself for free Tibet - he dies but my children and his children will bear a grudge for life. each immolation represents another 50 years of resistance. A lot of single Han children will be old ollld men but the resistance will continue. Tough shit.
The Han arrogance is such that they cannot fathom the distaste that the Tibetans & Uighurs have for them.

The Hans feel that money can buy people, but they do not realise the power of religion!

The Han live in a Fool's Paradise.

They will come to grief.

t_co

I wonder why China has to specify now that their Tibet policy is correct and there can be no turning back? Are they suddenly worrying that they will lose face by faltering in the face of protests?
More likely they're specifying now because the rate of self-immolations is falling, and they're declaring victory? :lol:

The protests are very much there. When the Chinese took over Tibet, the insurgency started and continued without the Dalai Lama's permission. The Dalai Lama is the spiritual and titular head and no Tibetans want technology or material goodies from him and will not even ask him for those things. However the Tibetans are free to take anything they like from the Chinese and consider themselves free to protest at what they don't like. It is the protests that are embarrassing the Chinese and make them come out with absurd self reassuring statements about how right they were, and are and always will be.
Except when separatist Chinese of Tibetan ethnicity do this, they accrue resentment from the rest of Chinese society. This makes it even more difficult for them to get their desired goal, and hardens a sociopolitical consensus against any demands for autonomy. Even uncensored Chinese exile websites - boxun, for example - are heavily anti-TGIE; numerous exiled leaders of the Tiananmen protests have come out and stated "China is indivisible". There is no cross-ethnic support for Tibetan autonomy today.

In that situation, you are to blame for not freeing your children and his children from the cycle of self-destructive violence, and the state will hold you to account; to solve the problem, your children will then be sent to institutions far away from their homes and families where they will be assimilated rapidly into mainstream culture. You cannot win.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
...to solve the problem, your children will then be sent to institutions far away from their homes and families where they will be assimilated rapidly into mainstream culture. You cannot win.
The stentorian voice of oppression: "MIGHT MAKES RIGHT!"

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Just because the voice is stentorian, does not make it false.
And it remains the voice of oppression. The rulers of your country remind me of Shelley's poem.

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
More likely they're specifying now because the rate of self-immolations is falling, and they're declaring victory? :lol:
In other words, China bases its policy on the number of self immolations?

Funny way to chalk out policy.

Victory?

Victory is measure in suppression of your own countrymen?

Warped nationalism, at best.

No wonder Mao went on a rampage and felled many Chinese in the Cultural Revolution since Victory is China is measure in the gallons of blood extracted!

Except when separatist Chinese of Tibetan ethnicity do this, they accrue resentment from the rest of Chinese society. This makes it even more difficult for them to get their desired goal, and hardens a sociopolitical consensus against any demands for autonomy. Even uncensored Chinese exile websites - boxun, for example - are heavily anti-TGIE; numerous exiled leaders of the Tiananmen protests have come out and stated "China is indivisible". There is no cross-ethnic support for Tibetan autonomy today.
The arrogant Han attitude surfaces in this sentence - hey accrue resentment from the rest of Chinese society.

The land is of Tibetans. Their resentment to Han influx and loot of Tibet is not material and what is material is the Han resentment of Tibetans preventing the loot and change to their demography in Tibet?

Numerous exiled leaders are Hans. The Han mentality can't change of daydreaming that the world belongs to them.

In that situation, you are to blame for not freeing your children and his children from the cycle of self-destructive violence, and the state will hold you to account; to solve the problem, your children will then be sent to institutions far away from their homes and families where they will be assimilated rapidly into mainstream culture. You cannot win.
The blame is on the oppressor and not the oppressed.

The children are already being sent to institutions far far away.

What's new?

bennedose

Thanks for pointing this out. This is exactly how the system works in China. In my opinion, the idea that these tactics will work in the long term is a consequence of erasure of culture and history in China. Cultural memories last for a long long time - the book "Wild Swans" - banned in China is just one example.

What the cultural revolution did was to deny inconvenient facts and pretend that they either do not exist or cannot exist. So the simplicity of the solutions "X will be transported to Y and all will be forgotten" is a method of forcing the idea that 2+2=3. It fails to take into account that all these people who harbour grudges will be sullen and follow communist dictates and NOTget transported, while simply passing down the memories and latent anger waiting to be unleashed at a better time. What is even more of a complication is that there are Tibetan communities who hate communist China living outside China who serve as a reservoir of these memories.

It is my belief that the statement made by China that the Tibet policy is "right" and that it is irreversible is an interesting indicator of the problem as seen in China. There will be a continuing Tibetan problem. It will not go away soon. It will not go away soon at least partly because information and memories exist in Tibetan communities outside China. China cannot control that - even by fighting a war.

For a normal country under no internal and external pressure on an given issue, there would be no need to make any statement at all about internal policies and their success or failure. The statement itself is a defensive, self reassuring one "We are right". There is clearly some worry that "we" are NOT right. Even more curious is the statement that the Tibet policy is irreversible. Hmm. Exactly who in China is thinking about reversing the policy? if no one is thinking about it, then whom is the statement about irreversibility aimed at/? Why was it made at all?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
uFor a normal country under no internal and external pressure on an given issue, there would be no need to make any statement at all about internal policies and their success or failure. The statement itself is a defensive, self reassuring one "We are right". There is clearly some worry that "we" are NOT right. Even more curious is the statement that the Tibet policy is irreversible. Hmm. Exactly who in China is thinking about reversing the policy? if no one is thinking about it, then whom is the statement about irreversibility aimed at/? Why was it made at all?
Very well said.

Spot on!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles