China 's Sensor Fused Weapons (SFW)

cir

China's Military Technology Is Advancing So Fast They've Perfected This Lethal 'Smart' Ammunition - Business Insider

China's Military Technology Is Advancing So Fast They've Perfected This Lethal 'Smart' Ammunition - Business Insider

Eloise Lee | April 12, 2012

The Terminal Sensing Ammunition (TSA) ejects mini parachutes as it flies over a target zone searching for its mark. (Credit: China Defense Mashup)

China is claiming a "breakthrough" at its Baicheng Weapon Test Center where it develops "Terminal Sensing Ammunition".

This ordnance is especially deadly to troops in tanks or armored personnel carriers, where it times its detonation to go off just outside the hatch for maximum effect.

This kind of weapon is not new to the West, but its development in China says nothing more than the PLA is catching up. Fast.

The PLA Daily, the government-endorsed publication of the People's Liberation Army, reported significant progress in its technology that "senses" a target and deploys a destructive projectile to break through armor, immediately followed by a cluster of sub-projectiles to wipe out whatever the armor was protecting.

J. Michael Cole at the Taipei Times says China's weapon "could prove especially threatening" to Taiwan's military defenses, with the technology capable of making hits as precise as the rooftops of moving armored vehicles.

The two countries have a tense relationship spawned by the mainland's desire for re-unification, in which the modern island of Taiwan has no interest. The U.S. is concerned China will make good on its threat to attack Taiwan if necessary, amid ongoing espionage within the two countries' respective militaries.

Here's how the ammunition works:

The PLA says the weapon has the structure of "cluster sub-munition" which is loaded with smaller projectiles to "deliver strong lethal power" once the target is identified — a double hit designed to eliminate any chance of survival.

The specific aim of the terminal sensing ammunition (TSA) is to "attack the 'head bones'" of a tank, meaning the roof. The first hit of the weapon penetrates the roof, while the simultaneous release of sub-projectiles will effectively wipe out whoever or whatever is inside.

After a demonstration to invited reporters, the PLA worker in charge confirmed that the weapon would produce "a massive amount of fragments to kill personnel and destroy equipment so as to achieve excellent combat performance."

A press release by the Ministry of National Defense indicates local media saw a test launch of China's new smart ammunition technology, which can be fired from cannons or attached to long-range missiles or airborne weapon systems

The enthusiastic report, translated by the Ministry into English, describes the launch:

The terminal sensing projectile whizzed out in a big bang at the commander's command and flew over the target site when it discharged the terminal sensing sub-projectiles one by one, which ejected mini-parachutes immediately and searched for targets automatically. Each of them hit the target in precision.

The writers of the release say "it is no longer a dream for artillery soldiers to equip the projectile with eyes" —pointing out the ability of the weapon to "eye" its targets and, at the same time, sending a very clear message to the rest of the world that China's military is rapidly waking up to 21st Century capabilities."

----------

"Developed and produced by Textron Defense Systems, the CBU-97 Sensor Fuzed Weapon is a United States Air Force 1,000-pound-class (450 kg) non-guided (freefall) cluster bomb, hence the name CBU (Cluster Bomb Unit).

The CBU-97 consists of an SUU-66/B tactical munition dispenser that contains 10 BLU-108 submunitions. Each submunition contains four hockey-puck-shaped sensor-fused projectiles called Skeets. These detect targets, such as tanks, armored personnel carriers, trucks and other support vehicles, and fire an explosively formed penetrator."

J20!

Country flag
We don't need to beg the West for technology transfers. :laugh:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The enthusiastic report, translated by the Ministry into English, describes the launch:

The terminal sensing projectile whizzed out in a big bang at the commander's command and flew over the target site when it discharged the terminal sensing sub-projectiles one by one, which ejected mini-parachutes immediately and searched for targets automatically. Each of them hit the target in precision.
The report should be taken with a grain of salt, I believe, where it claims 100% success. The concept of a munition with a steerable is very interesting, however. What happens if a target is not locked on and the device hits the ground - - self destruction?

p2prada

The report should be taken with a grain of salt, I believe, where it claims 100% success. The concept of a munition with a steerable is very interesting, however. What happens if a target is not locked on and the device hits the ground - - self destruction?
The American CBU-105 comes to mind. The submunitions self destruct either 500 feet above ground or on impact if a target is not acquired. For the CBU-97/105, a single bomb can be broken into 40 bomblets which can theoretically engage 40 targets including battle tanks.

What the Chinese are doing is to replicate the same in their own way. 100% guarantee exists only in dreams. But what they are doing is very impressive and commendable.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
And that is how you define 50 centers, nice job by DFI to hire a guardian like you.
No that is not how you define a 50 cent troll but it's part of it. If you want to know more, I will keep showing you.

Part of 50 cent is not only to spread positive propaganda about china but also engage in negative propaganda about the enemies. Psychological warfare!

I am sure J20 is not as bright to be part of it, but he is just a troll.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
the management of DFI should exercise their authority

to prevent this forum from really going down the drain .... i have tried to use the mutiquote to show actual examples of this forum being abused by our lovely "neighbour"-supporters, trolls , whatever you call them . After the initial post which started this thread , the first response was from one of then initiating the whole negative process. and thence forth the whole ambience of the thread has been spoiled and inddeed one of our indian members succumbed and also used bad language . I AM ONCE AGAIN ( i have written privately to DFI moderators ) REQUESTING DFI MODERATORS to have the guts to execute permanent ban of those who speak derisively of our nation, culture, history, armed forces, overseas communities (NRI's ) and such-like. Only recently Moderators took up this topic and the "trolls" or whatever you call them have just ignored it all and done whatever they liked . Often on DFI we hear comments about the lack of backbone of the goi ? well im not sure because while goi seems to be improving , im not sure we could say the same for the management of this DFI . I have also requested DFI moderaors in the same email to ABSOLUTELY LIMIT the number of pro-chicom posts . I have stayed away from posting at DFI becuase it has been spoiled by the pro-chicm posters and if DFI mods continue to take a laid back attitude - i will continue to stay away untill i see some serious commitment to keep this forum at a high standard , free of the rubbish posted byhe pro-chicoms who deride all that we stand for , and all that we are !!

p2prada

Yeah. The RBK cluster munitions are more accurate for comparison.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
We don't need to beg the West for technology transfers. :laugh:
I take it that when one can afford and pay money up front to have others work for them and their needs, that would not be begging, but bit like, what they say, 'lording around'.

Lots of difference.

Not in the same league as what China is doing in the South China Sea - wanting to steal others natural resources! ;) LOL to you!

thecurryguy

Tihar Jail
Banned
LOL, we still own a resource field in the Indian Ocean.
LMAO!!!!
I take it that when one can afford and pay money up front to have others work for them and their needs, that would not be begging, but bit like, what they say, 'lording around'.

Lots of difference.

Not in the same league as what China is doing in the South China Sea - wanting to steal others natural resources! ;) LOL to you!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When it does not lock (if indeed it ever locks) and falls to the ground, it is called a 'Wong Yung' (Wrong One)! ;)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
LMAO!!!!
Without a navy to protect it!

And how China scampered back after getting tough with Vietnam and Philippines after the US Navy arrived and started barking from the kennel!

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fdca34b2-9cef-11e0-8678-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1s818wAYy

"If the United States does want to play a role, it may counsel restraint to those countries that have frequently been taking provocative action and ask them to be more responsible in their behaviour," Cui Tiankai, a Chinese vice-foreign minister, told reporters in Beijing on Wednesday.
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/fdca34b2-9cef-11e0-8678-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1s80vrYGb
Latest is how they backed off when an ancient Philippines warship just showed up!

And J20 running scared and furious just because Australia MAY get a US nuclear submarine!

Note MAY!

That is enough to spook China!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Following your theory, India can make guns, copying cat??
No.

We buy technology since we can pay for it and make others do it for us!

We don't steal like China and claim it is Chinese 'invention'.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
LMAO!!!!
Curry, Next time i see off-topic post regardless where you post..

Post will be deleted but also i will del you from this forum..

This is not a garbage thread..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles