China Rising literally

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And what about this?

A few days later I decided to do three things. First, to let everyone know the ugly truth about foreign men. Second, to call to action all Chinese, so that we can make our women see that the world doesn't revolve around foreign men. Last but not least, I have decided that to become a scholar, I will have to temporarily give up my day job. This will allow me to focus on my research. The topic? Chinese men in the eyes of foreign women. This way I'll be able to give Chinese men who are looking for foreign women a helping hand.
Speaks much about the psychology.

The article also does a Chinese text simultaneous translation.

"Link

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
中国女人!请不要上老外的床

几天后,我做了三个决定:第一,我将我所知道的某些外国男人丑陋的真相告诉大家。第二,我要因此发动中国人起来阻止中国女人围着外国男人转。 第三,也是最重要的是,作为一个中国学者,我决定暂时中断我的正常的工作,全心投入一项还从未有人做过的研究,那就是,研究外国女人眼中的中国男人形象, 从而可以最终帮助中国男人追求外国女人。

Last edited:

kickok1975

中国女人!请不要上老外的床

几天后,我做了三个决定:第一,我将我所知道的某些外国男人丑陋的真相告诉大家。第二,我要因此发动中国人起来阻止中国女人围着外国男人转。 第三,也是最重要的是,作为一个中国学者,我决定暂时中断我的正常的工作,全心投入一项还从未有人做过的研究,那就是,研究外国女人眼中的中国男人形象, 从而可以最终帮助中国男人追求外国女人。
Ray, What are you trying to accomplish by posting some junk article like this?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
First thing is to make sure everyone has something to eat. Then it is about how to educate people to eat the right food. Not an easy job. No matter where you live. 8)
It is not only about having something to eat, but as you state correctly, it is also eating the right food.

It is mostly about genetics.

The first gene linked to tallness, one of the most heritable of traits, has been discovered by scientists, a finding that is expected to shed light on human development and further understanding of cancer. An international team including researchers at Oxford and Exeter analysed DNA from 35,000 people and found that a single letter in the human genetic code was responsible for making some people taller than others.

The scientists zeroed in on a gene called HMGA2, of which we inherit two copies, one from each parent. Inheriting a form of the gene that has a C written into the genetic code instead of a T adds about half a centimetre to a person's height, the scientists found, while inheriting two copies adds nearly a full centimetre.

"Because height is a complex trait, involving a variety of genetic and non-genetic factors, it can teach us valuable lessons about the genetic framework of other complex traits, such as diabetes, cancer and other common human diseases," said Joel Hirshhorn, a senior researcher on the study, which appeared in Nature Genetics yesterday.

Scientists find a gene that makes some people taller | Science | The Guardian
This is also an indicator:

In addition, our health has improved considerably along with medical technology. We have fewer endemic diseases, and fewer epidemic diseases. That is important because an incidence of disease usually means that the nutrients we do consume are not absorbed by the body sufficiently. Diseases lay a claim on our energy intake, so that there is not enough left over for the body to grow. These two factors play a considerable role.

Why Are People Taller Today Than Yesterday? - TIME

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Here is an interesting question asked;

Where I work, there are some Asians (mostly Chinese). I noticed there are two types. One type is short and the other type is really tall.

For instance, there is this one Chinese lady who is the tallest lady there. They had to put two bricks on each leg of her desk for it to be high enough for her.

The tall ones usually have large frames but are very slim and have very light skin. Are they from different regions of China?
The answer given is:

Well, every race will have taller people than others but I do think it's the Northern Chinese who are taller than the Southern. I don't quite know why this would have become this way but in Northern China, it has harsher winters and milder summers than the south so they are not big farmers, mostly herders, I believe. As for the South, they grow a lot of rice because it's ideal weather for it there. The kinds of physical activity depending on the region could possibly have affected the height. I find that a lot of my Mandarin friends(the dominant language of the North) are 5'6"-6'0" while my Cantonese friends (the dominant language of the South) are 5'0"-5'5". I myself am Southern Chinese and stand at 5'2 1/2". This is not to be taken as a racist statement but the reason why Westerners often view the Chinese as short is probably because most of the Chinese immigrants to the West were from the Southern provinces of China.
How far is this correct?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray, What are you trying to accomplish by posting some junk article like this?
Yes in isolation it does appear odd.

I forgot to add this:

Men, on average, tend to be attracted by women who are shorter than they are, have a youthful appearance and exhibit features such as a symmetrical face
and

Women, on average, tend to be more attracted to men who are taller than they are, display a high-degree of facial symmetry, masculine facial dimorphism,[ and who have broad shoulders, a relatively narrow waist and V-shaped torso.
Physical attractiveness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wanted to know the opinion of the Chinese posters to this type of a theory as propounded above.

Is being tall really found to be alluring in China?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sun Mingming (simplified Chinese: 孙明明; traditional Chinese: 孫明明; pinyin: Sūn Míngmíng, born August 23, 1983) is a Chinese basketball player. He is one of the tallest players to ever play professional basketball, standing 7 ft 9 in (2.36 m) and weighing 370 lb (168 kg). Ming wears size 20 sneakers. He also makes occasional appearances as an actor.

Sun Mingming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He is from Bayan County, Harbin, Heilongjiang, China

I think that would be closer to South China and yet he is so tall!

I presume genetics is the reason?

Have the Chinese posters got some details about his parents and how tall they were?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have been to China, so I can say for sure that "young" Chinese in big cities like Shanghai, Beijing are quite tall. It is not uncommon to see over 6 ft tall Chinese.

However, Chinese in the interiors, and smaller cities still fit the stereotype.

One of my Chinese friend, said that she was 5'4"-5'5" and was considered very tall in her university, however, in Shanghai she was considered average.

Genetics plays a role, but so does nutrition.

And I am not sure but I think there is a role of the drugs and hormones pumped into animals meant for meat.

amoy

I second Ray's quotation. Numerous factors at work, genetics, food, sports, medicare... But food seems a big one in Chinese case.

Here're my observation on North-south gap related to FOOD (though not a professional for such a subject)

- many Chinese dont like milk nor drink milk regularly. perhaps Chinese generally lack an enzyme?? (pls someone give a medical explanation). In Kindergarten many children simply gave away milk (to me :p) as they felt it distasteful.

- My relatives in Henan (North) usually have big frame / robust buildup. They feed on coarse cereals, lots of meat (mutton), but no seafood. Northern cuisine (Henan) in particular is not delicate, nor delicious for a southern stomach.

- I lived in Guangdong down south for a while, and found the way of cooking in Canton cuisine may have been overdone, and damaged some nutritious content or fibre. For example their congee has reduced rice to pulp. Similarly Japanese eat lot of raw fish (sashimi) which's hard to digest though delicious.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think the Chinese cooking methods are very nutritious.

Compared to Indian cooking, they use very little oil, they boil or steam their food, the stir fry and the food remain somewhat rawer than Indian food.

It gets digested real fast and you find yourself hungry very soon.

Could having more meat products than vegetables have any connection to height and general fibre growth?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

Compared to Indian cooking, they use very little oil, they boil or steam their food, the stir fry and the food remain somewhat rawer than Indian food.

Could having more meat products than vegetables have any connection to height and general fibre growth?
Sir Chinese have very healthy habits, they eat breakfast at 7-8 am, lunch at noon, supper/dinner at 6pm. They drink copious amounts of green tea, avoid sugar, and generally prefer warm water.

However, if you have enough proteins ie meat in a meal you tend to feel satiated for longer.

niharjhatn

Similarly Japanese eat lot of raw fish (sashimi) which's hard to digest though delicious.
Not sure about the delicious part... but the hard to digest part is especially true. Much of the worlds research into Gastrointestinal problems + cancers occurs in Japan - largely a result of their diet, an almost accumulation of punishment damaging the mucosa lining leading to cancers.

Would not recommend restricting oneself to such a diet long term, especially when better alternatives exist! :D

niharjhatn

Animal meat is essential for absorbing Iron - in meats it is absorbed as heme-iron which is much more easily absorbed than iron from vegetables, which typically occurs in the free radical state (generally Fe3+). In order to absorb this, there is a long delay in the lumen of the small intestine as the Fe3+ needs to be converted to Fe2+; and in this time consuming step, it often complexes with foods and gets passed out in our faeces. Hence the misnomer that eating a lot of spinach in large vegetarian societies such as India compensates for the lack of meat - NO IT DOESN'T, as you essentially crap out the iron (and hence stools are much darker than usual).

Iron is essential for soo many things - particularly formation of haemoglobin in blood cells, but also DNA replication, protein translation etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the average Indian has low iron levels, possibly impacting on height.

Unfortunately India have an endemic problem of low Iodine - which is a horrible problem to have, as in the fetus it can impair neurological growth, but in the teenager/growing adult (and throughout life!), Iodine is essential for the formation of thyroid hormones which is INTIMATELY LINKED to growth (along with other pituitary hormones). Mandatory Iodine supplementation in pregnant women would be one of the BEST and most COST-EFFECTIVE health interventions a sensible government could make that may have huge payoffs in the long run...key words = sensible government.

Makes me feel that someone as simple as me could run a better country than the idiots in charge right now, do those <insert bad word(s)> even know any of these problems exist :tsk:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles