China Rising literally

cir

Average Chinese man is 5' 8". Average American man is 5' 9".
Average Chinese and American women are both 5' 4".

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EI...2/ai_n27988145/

"Alvanon Releases Most Extensive Chinese Body Measurement Study
Business Wire / August 12, 2008

Analysis Reveals Significant Insight on Chinese Size and Shape for the Fashion Industries

NEW YORK & LONDON & HONG KONG -- Alvanon, the global size and fit expert, today announced it has compiled the most extensive collection of body scan research in China. Over 28,000 people were scanned in four key regions of the country at various urban retail shopping centers. The scanners captured 45 measurements per person, resulting in the largest body measurement study ever performed in China.

"There is an unprecedented retail opportunity in China. The right product mix must be combined with the right size and fit to achieve a successful brand following in China," said Janice Wang, CEO, Alvanon. "Our China body measurement study, combined with the data we've compiled in the rest of the world, uniquely enables us to provide leading apparel brands with powerful insights about their target consumers.

"As the global size and fit expert, Alvanon's industry-leading solutions allow these brands to deliver better fitting garments, increasing sales and building consumer loyalty to the brands," Wang said.

Alvanon collected this highly relevant data from the world's fastest growing retail market utilizing safe millimeter wave scanners that accurately measure fully-clothed participating shoppers in seconds. This new study adds to Alvanon's database of body measurements, which now exceeds 250,000 men, women and children of various age groups from over 14 countries in Europe, Asia and North America.

Research Highlights

Even where the average height in China is similar to the Western body stature, the core body shape in China is significantly smaller and more homogenous than in the markets of the U.S. and Europe. As an example, there is a difference in stature in both genders between Chinese of northern origin and southern origin. Men have similar average heights in China and the U.S. but have dramatically different average chest and waist measurements, as well as differences in average weight and body mass. Women in China have much narrower variances in bust, waist and hip measurements than those in the U.S. As a result, the U.S. market requires more than double the number of clothes sizes to reach the same percentage of the population as compared to China. One trend consistent with other Western countries is that the younger generation in eastern China is growing taller and heavier.

Through evaluation of its own data and other size studies, Alvanon has also tracked stature changes from generation to generation and important information on the difference of body shape and size throughout the world. One of the most dramatic statistics from China shows that over the span of a decade (1992-2002) the average height of children (2-18 years old) increased by almost 1.5", nearly twice as high as the increase among U.S. children. While adults in China, at any given height, look quite different from adults in the West, children's body shapes and sizes are converging at a very rapid rate.

Despite having a relatively small average stature when compared to Westerners, over 30 percent of urban Chinese are considered overweight. Age and gender analysis shows the highest increase in body mass index has occurred in Chinese women aged 35-45.

Below are some interesting facts uncovered by the Alvanon study.

Fast Facts

* Average Chinese Female Height 5'4"; Weight 125 Pounds; Chest 31"; Waist 28"; Low Hip 35"

* Average U.S. Female Height 5'4"; Weight 155 Pounds; Chest 37"; Waist 34"; Low Hip 42"

* Average Chinese Male Height 5'8"; Weight 145 Pounds; Chest 35"; Waist 31"; Low Hip 36"

* Average U.S. Male Height 5'9"; Weight 191 Pounds; Chest 41; Waist 37; Low Hip 41"

About Alvanon

Alvanon is the global size and fit expert, providing full-service, integrated fit solutions for the apparel industry. With the largest database of body scan research in the world, Alvanon combines real-world industry expertise and innovative technology to offer a holistic approach to fit and sizing, encompassing both strategic insight as well as practical product development tools.

Dr. Kenneth Wang founded Alvanon in 2001 to address the industry's prevalent size and fit misconceptions and to develop solutions that would revolutionize the way the industry understood and leveraged the concept of fit. Since that time, Alvanon has grown to become the global leader in providing custom fit mannequins and solutions to the world's leading brands. Alvanon's suite of products and services integrate seamlessly with every stage of the product development and production process, helping to increase internal and external process efficiency and decrease overall time to market."

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Credit it on Chinese growth balls! And bone lengthening procedure?! :rofl:

ice berg

Credit it on Chinese growth balls! And bone lengthening procedure?! :rofl:
Can you post anyting besides trolling?

Anyway, giving the rising living standards in last few decades, it is not surprising at all. Could happend sooner though.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Spot what's wrong with this picture:

Answer: Two children :p

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bread also rises.

It requires yeast!

cir

Spot what's wrong with this picture:

Answer: Two children :p
Think it fun making a fool of yourself? It shows how little you know about China. As a matter of fact, you know bugger all about China. :rofl:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Tom Cruise, now over there at the Taj Mahal, is 5'7".

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
You can always have two childrens in China(in case you dont know). Depends on where you live and what minority group you belong to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

T
he more you share, the more you know.
I was kidding. My first thought was those two could be non-identical twins. I'm aware that twins are perfectly acceptable in any part of China, with any ethnicity.

Think it fun making a fool of yourself? It shows how little you know about China. As a matter of fact, you know bugger all about China. :rofl:
Umad bro?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You can always have two childrens in China(in case you dont know). Depends on where you live and what minority group you belong to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

T
he more you share, the more you know.
Yes, you are right.

This is a photo of a Japanese family?

The lady does look like a Japanese. Too sophisticated to be a Chinese.

BTW, Tarunraju is a well educated and well travelled person or so I believe and so I am sure he is not making a fool of himself. Maybe he is showing what a fool you could be yourself!

Last edited:

ice berg

I was kidding. My first thought was those two could be non-identical twins. I'm aware that twins are perfectly acceptable in any part of China, with any ethnicity.

Umad bro?
It is not just twins that are allowed. In many rural areas you can have more than one child. Though the one child policy is still the norm. It will probably change in the near future though. The demography is changing.

niharjhatn

It's called the thrifty phenotype hypothesis. After centuries of living with relative resource scarcity, it is postulated that mothers are somehow imparting their children to live in a lifestyle of thrift - i.e. eating a lot at one time but less often (reflecting times when food was scarce). In opposite to this, in a lifestyle of excess, this "programming" is not given.

Hence in developing nations where there has been rapid improvements in food availability, children are getting bigger, whereas in already developed nation, parents have already been aclimitised to a life of excess and hence their kids are not increasing in size (relatively).

Same sort of reason diabetic mothers give rise to big babies.

This is a problem extending further to food aid in India - although food aid can be given to those in areas of need, due to the thrifty phenotype hypothesis suggests significant long term problems of being programmed to be "thrifty" in an environment of excess - leading to diabetes and obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidaemia etc.

This is why the Chinese kids are getting bigger.

ice berg

Yes, you are right.

This is a photo of a Japanese family?

The lady does look like a Japanese. Too sophisticated to be a Chinese.
What I said to post nr 3 applies to you too. If you can do nothing but flamebait and trolling, then I see no point answering you.

Behave like an adult, ok?

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Getting back to the height topic, I think many people got their perceptions about Chinese' physical built wrong.

A couple of years ago I went to Taiwan to attend Computex. The general population there was of low-ish height, but some of those Computex booths were attended by companies based in the northern parts of mainland China. Those people were huge. Most of them were easily above 6 foot, with broad shoulders. My friends from Taiwan told me that Chinese from only some southern provinces are short and petite-looking, but as you go north, you have tall and well-built people.

ice berg

It's called the thrifty phenotype hypothesis. After centuries of living with relative resource scarcity, it is postulated that mothers are somehow imparting their children to live in a lifestyle of thrift - i.e. eating a lot at one time but less often (reflecting times when food was scarce). In opposite to this, in a lifestyle of excess, this "programming" is not given.

Hence in developing nations where there has been rapid improvements in food availability, children are getting bigger, whereas in already developed nation, parents have already been aclimitised to a life of excess and hence their kids are not increasing in size (relatively).

Same sort of reason diabetic mothers give rise to big babies.

This is a problem extending further to food aid in India - although food aid can be given to those in areas of need, due to the thrifty phenotype hypothesis suggests significant long term problems of being programmed to be "thrifty" in an environment of excess - leading to diabetes and obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidaemia etc.

This is why the Chinese kids are getting bigger.
First thing is to make sure everyone has something to eat. Then it is about how to educate people to eat the right food. Not an easy job. No matter where you live. 8)

kickok1975

Attention: Policy changed: Chinese couple can now have up to 2 children if both husband and wife have no siblings. The policy applied to all 31 provinces.
Since 1979, all children were born with no sibling, now these people are getting married and can have more children. It's really a game changing policy and will reverse the tide of Chinese aging population.

Last edited:

niharjhatn

First thing is to make sure everyone has something to eat. Then it is about how to educate people to eat the right food. Not an easy job. No matter where you live. 8)
It is not related to the "type" of food given. Its that, impulsively, subconsciously, those with the thrifty genetic encoding will eat more and more and not maintain a state of overall nil energy balance.

AGAIN - NOT related to necessarily "HIGH FAT" foods - although this exacerbates the problem as high Sat Fats do not kick off the hormones e.g. leptin and ghrelin leading to satiety/hunger.

ice berg

Getting back to the height topic, I think many people got their perceptions about Chinese' physical built wrong.

A couple of years ago I went to Taiwan to attend Computex. The general population there was of low-ish height, but some of those Computex booths were attended by companies based in the northern parts of mainland China. Those people were huge. Most of them were easily above 6 foot, with broad shoulders. My friends from Taiwan told me that Chinese from some southern provinces are short and petite-looking, but as you go north, you have tall and well-built people.
True, there is a North and South divide in China. There is a stereotype that people from north are better fighters than people from south. Not sure about the heights though. I doubt anyone have done any research there.

Many people who are growing up in foreign countries are also usually taller than the ppl in the countries they coming from.
Guess it got more to do with environment than genes. Even "small asian people" can grow up just as tall or strong as people in the West.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles