China preventing UN action on Libya

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Does France really want to go into this hornet's nest?? With 10% of France's population muslim and their proximity to North Africa they are dancing on land mines, this can become a problem if rebels are overthrown in the future??
Are you kidding? The Arab League backed the resolution, the Muslims of France are in full support of getting rid of the barbarous Gaddafi who is slaughtering their brothers. This act will soldify the French position not only in the future Libya, but the entire Arab world as a friend to them.

Country flag
Are you kidding? The Arab League backed the resolution, the Muslims of France are in full support of getting rid of the barbarous Gaddafi who is slaughtering their brothers. This act will soldify the French position not only in the future Libya, but the entire Arab world as a friend to them.
This is a good move to see a nation acting proactively, I will hand it to Sarkosy I did not picture him in this role.

pmaitra

Does France really want to go into this hornet's nest?? With 10% of France's muslim population mostly of North African origin ,and their proximity to North Africa they are dancing on land mines, this can become a problem if rebels are overthrown in the future??
Look at it this way. If Gaddafi is removed and the anti-Gaddafi faction comes to power, France will get a good grip on Libya's oil. Also, do you think the anti-Gaddafi faction will spare the pro-Gaddafi people, if and when the former come to power? The latter too wil be subjected to the same human rights violations that Gaddafi has been carrying out against his opponents.

France is close to Libya, has a Veto in UNSC, it would be stupid of France not to take advantage of this opportunity. If it was merely about the French being highly sympathetic about the human rights violations, they would have also gone to the rescue of the protesters in Bahrain.

Also, please see post #11.

nimo_cn

Country flag
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/world/africa/18nations.html?_r=1&ref=world

Diplomats said the resolution — which passed with 10 votes, including the United States, and abstentions from Russia, China, Germany, Brazil and India — was written in sweeping terms to allow for a wide range of actions, including strikes on air-defense systems and missile attacks from ships. Military activity could get under way within a matter of hours, they said.
Funny, five countries including India are taking the same stance over this resolution, but only China was singled out.

pmaitra

Analysis

Barbara Plett
BBC UN correspondent

It took quite some diplomatic arm twisting for Britain and its allies to get such a controversial resolution through the Security Council in such a short time.

Fired up by the prospect of Benghazi falling to Col Gaddafi's forces, they warned of a pending humanitarian catastrophe. They also played the Arab card, calculating that Russia and China wouldn't veto a request for a no-fly zone that came from the region. The gamble paid off when it came to avoiding a veto.

But not only China and Russia abstained: Germany and Brazil warned that military intervention could harm civilians more than help them. India decried the adoption of "far-reaching measures" on the basis of little "credible" information. Behind such statements lies the fear of escalation and a long-drawn-out war. The resolution may have passed but the doubts and questions that divided the council will almost certainly continue to reverberate.

See full report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12781009

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
France has no pressure to place on Bahrain. It is a US protectorate, place the blame in the proper place.

pmaitra

France has no pressure to place on Bahrain. It is a US protectorate, place the blame in the proper place.
I am guessing that was aimed at me.

I just wanted to highlight that:
  • Germany, Brazil, Russia, PRC and India do not think the way Monsieur Sarkozy thinks.
  • France's objective is more about oil and less about saving lives.

The UN Security Council is divided.

pmaitra

Yes, I have. But I still couldn't refrain myself from pointing out the irony here.
I have tried my best to point out that PRC did not prevent any UN action. Yes, they abstained, and for valid reasons too. They did not support any UN action, but that does not imply they prevented it either. Yes, it was ironic that PRC was 'singled out' and that was largely speculative, but not anymore. So cheer up buddy!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I am guessing that was aimed at me.

I just wanted to highlight that:
  • Germany, Brazil, Russia, PRC and India do not think the way Monsieur Sarkozy thinks.
  • France's objective is more about oil and less about saving lives.

The UN Security Council is divided.
Your goal is to make it look like French care only about political interests and not saving lives by mentioning Bahrain. If France bombed Bahrain, the US would shoot us down... get it yet?

pmaitra

Your goal is to make it look like French care only about political interests and not saving lives by mentioning Bahrain. If France bombed Bahrain, the US would shoot us down... get it yet?
My goal is to look beyond this façade of outpourings of care and concern for the anti-Gaddafi faction from the French government.

I am not asking France to bomb Bahrain. However, France could at least put pressure on the US to stop the assault by Saudi and UAE. Anyways, you asked me to 'place the blame in the proper place.' I need not, because, the US has already started doing something about it: Obama calls Saudi, Bahraini kings to discuss crackdown.

Edit: Or am I supposed to assume that Monsieur Sarkozy is taking the French on a Hungarian roller-coaster ride?

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It doesn't matter what France says about Bahrain... it is a moot point. It is a former British colony and an American protectorate, it has ZERO clout with it.

pmaitra

It doesn't matter what France says about Bahrain... it is a moot point. It is a former British colony and an American protectorate, it has ZERO clout with it.
Thank you for that explanation. I would leave it upto the individual reader to accept that excuse with or without a pinch of salt. :)

BTW, being a former British colony has got nothing to do with this.

Even India was part of the British Empire, but India does not give a rodent's posterior about how UK tackles Libya today. I must summarily reject any excuse based on the former colonial statuses of countries under European powers as utter hogwash. This is 2011; please realise that already.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Bahrain was a colony as late as 1971 and it still has strong ties to the UK. It has not broken those ties like India (since 1947 with a checkered past) has which is utter hogwash to compare. India is the largest destination of Bahrain exports... maybe GoI should do something huh? It has more clout than France there.

redragon

Country flag
After pretending to be a positive power over china, India did exactly same thing as what China did, shame on you India, shame on you Indian and shame on you Indian members.
You guys showed chinese again and again how fake you are.

pmaitra

Bahrain was a colony as late as 1971 and it still has strong ties to the UK. It has not broken those ties like India (since 1947 with a checkered past) has which is utter hogwash to compare. India is the largest destination of Bahrain exports... maybe GoI should do something huh? It has more clout than France there.
Former colonial status, exports ... what are you talking about?

I said if France was so concerned with saving lives of civilians, then why did France not show the same alacrity about the unarmed protesters in Bahrain that it is showing for armed anti-Gaddafi rebels? You might fancy beating around the bush and resorting to non-sequiturs, I do not.

Stick to the point.

pmaitra

After pretending to be a positive power over china, India did exactly same thing as what China did, shame on you India, shame on you Indian and shame on you Indian members.
You guys showed chinese again and again how fake you are.
As an Indian, I wear it as a badge of honour. This again shows that India is not a lackey of the US or any western power.

Don't let this revelation dampen your spirits though.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Former colonial status, exports ... what are you talking about?

I said if France was so concerned with saving lives of civilians, then why did France not show the same alacrity about the unarmed protesters in Bahrain that it is showing for armed anti-Gaddafi rebels? You might fancy beating around the bush and resorting to non-sequiturs, I do not.

Stick to the point.
France dealt with it long ago, nothing else to do about it.

The French government said Thursday there was "excessive use of force" employed in both Bahrain and Libya, as well as Yemen, Radio France Internationale reported. Officials said sales of security equipment would be suspended because of police killings of protesters.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...-to-Bahrain/UPI-60271298170703/#ixzz1Gv5bURbU

pmaitra

France dealt with it long ago, nothing else to do about it.
Thanks for the information. Although I still maintain France is overreacting with sympathy for armed Libyan rebels, I must soften my criticism of France, thanks to the link you shared.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles