China :'pk' Breaks Box-office Records Just Three Days After Opening

Rashna

Country flag
'PK' breaks box-office records in China just three days after opening

Barely three days after its much-anticipated launch in China, Rajkumar Hirani’s Aamir Khan-starrer PK is already breaking box-office records for a Bollywood film in the country.

As of Monday, the film had raked in 35 million yuans (Rs 35 crore) in just three days after its Friday launch.

“This is record-breaking for an Indian film in China,” Gu Wancheng, partner (market strategy) for NPRG, the Chinese firm which introduced the movie to distributors here, told Mail Today.

Gu said that prior to PK, the top-grossing Indian film was Dhoom 3. That film took in 19 million yuans through its entire release in China.

“PK had made that amount by its second day alone,” Gu said.

Not only that, at the domestic box office, PK has now surpassed every Chinese film currently showing, and is second only to Avengers: Age of Ultron.

This weekend, PK even outdid Avengers in terms of occupancy, taking the number one spot with 25 per cent.

The film currently has 18,000 shows in China. Gu said the two main reasons behind PK’s success were a high-profile launch involving Hirani, Aamir Khan and Vidhu Vinod Chopra in Beijing mid-May — rare for a Bollywood film in a market it has long ignored — and “very good reviews” in recent days that have driven audiences.

Aamir’s popularity in China has, no doubt, also helped the film.

Hirani’s 3 Idiots was a cult hit in China, though it was released more than a year after it first went viral through Chinese online movie-sharing websites.

Chinese filmgoers have even taken to asking why Chinese directors were unable to produce films that were as creative.

“I have to say Indian films are so much better than Chinese films,” wrote blogger Karem on Chinese Twitter equivalent Sina Weibo. “PK is an Indian film that is so comprehensive. After the first half, I thought it was a comedy. After the second, I thought it was a critical film, and then it ended as a love story.”

The film’s critical take on religious issues has also struck a chord in China, which is officially atheist, but is currently grappling with a resurgence in spiritual practice.

Zhan Tai Feng praised the film’s “tremendous courage” to take on a difficult topic “in a religious country like India”.

Another source of praise was the casting of popular Chinese actor and comedian Wang Baoqiang, who provided the voice-over for Aamir’s character.

Wang’s distinctive provincial dialect — not dissimilar from Aamir’s delivery in the film — won plaudits.

“I almost cried several times when watching PK,” said Wan Xiaoyun, “but Wang Baoqiang still made me laugh.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahom...na-just-three-days-opening.html#ixzz3bWMPmW5v

Rashna

Country flag
Way to go Bollywood, India's soft-power...................

Alien

Has PK been dubbed in mandarin? or are they showing Chinese sub titles keeping original sound intact?

Can any Chinese member confirm on this?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It will be difficult to get into this market because only 34 foreign films are allowed by their authorities to be screened in China each year.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I am glad that it is difficult to get into Chinese market. I don't want the Wagah candle kissing nonsense which is happening art Pakistan in bollywood to become the norm art China too. Already Hollywood is trying to kiss up to Chinese audience . we seriously don't need that.

shiphone

Country flag
quite some young people have seen it this January with a hot discussion at that time...and then another relatively old movie <OMG> also raised some interests which is also about Indian new/ modern thinking and reflection about Religion after we saw <PK>...

imported foreign movies are usually kept the original sound track and with the Chinese sub-title..but the version being dubbed Mandarin are also available for the elders... however such sessions are much less than the original sound ones..

we prefer the version with dual-subtitles : Chinese and English

QQ截图20150529200408.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles