China objects to oil hunt, India says back off

JayATL

I just have very low confidence in India following through and it stems from India's, ' god only knows why', constant need to please attitude with foes too. there has to be a reason for this always meek stance.

Here is what I mean. I read several instances when India's sovereignty gets challenged by China , their monthly infiltrations it seems, their spies sent to India, their navy challenging India But on EVERY instance and correct me if I wrong, even when we have videos and pictures leak later--- India's first response is , ' oh Chinese did not do it"... there is nothing here to see attitude

Take another classic example of India's Psyche- when Pak navy boat harassed the Indian naval boat . Nobody heard about it, nor did India complain about it TILL again TILL Pakistan falsely complained about it... I sat here and went WTH why did India not be the first to complain to international bodies when they were in the right? It then came to me " yup- they just are afraid of leading? or being strong in that region". By nature I presume...Indians are more live and let live ...

Last edited:

trackwhack

nimo_cn,

That girl in your profile - you have a crush on her? :)
Is she a Chinese super-model or somethin?

Country flag
I just have very low confidence in India following through and it stems from India ' god only know why" constant need to please attitude with foes too. there has to be a reason for this always meek stance. here is what I mean. I read several instances when India's sovereignty gets challenged by China , their monthly infiltrations , their spies sent to India, their navy challenging India and EVERY instance correct me if I wrong, even when we have videos and pictures leak later--- India's first response is , ' oh Chinese did not do it"...

take another classic example of India's Psyche- when Pak navy boat harassed the Indian naval boat . Nobody heard about it, nor did India complain about it TILL again TILL Pakistan falsely complained about it... I sat here and went WTH why did India not be the first to complain to international bodies when they were in the right? I then it came to me " yup- they just are afraid of leading and being strong in that region". By nature I presume...
what does any of this have to do with exploration in the South China seas???

Param

Hey Nimo,
Do you just oppose economic activity like exploration stuff or even transit through those waters. For example the waters between Spratlys and Parcel islands. Territorial limits are only upto a dozen nautical miles right?

Iamanidiot

Adux is sorely missed in this thread.The Chinese can do jackboot when multi nations intrests are involved

amoy

we are there and China can't do jack. Indian minister in Vietnam expanding exploration talks.
Mind u last time it was a French vessel employed by VN to do the exploration whose cable was cut off by China's coast guard

By the way if those islands/shoals/reefs are in dispute, on what basis is the UNCLOS 200 nautical miles EEZ definted as in the map in your post?

Blackwater

Haha, internatinal court also disgrees India is an Independent country.
International court are not run by Zahil hamid:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

did u recognise ur mamu nimo

Last edited by a moderator:

amitkriit

Mind u last time it was a French vessel employed by VN to do the exploration whose cable was cut off by China's coast guard

By the way if those islands/shoals/reefs are in dispute, on what basis is the UNCLOS 200 nautical miles EEZ definted as in the map in your post?
Please leave POK, may be that's all needed to make India to back off. No shooting please.

JayATL

what does any of this have to do with exploration in the South China seas???
Is the Topic not about India asking china to back off ? is the last few pages not talking about India backing that talk up? are we living in two diferrent worlds? all around the conversation is will India follow through and challenge the Chinese...

Do I need to go through all posts and quote them for you? do I need to explain in baby steps how I drew the line between India asking china to back off verbally and if they will follow it up with actions against the Chinese? do I really need to explain how historical attitudes of avoidance plays into this?

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

Well lets see the aim of India is to make South China sea a bigger dispute with more pissed off parties against China in the dispute.Too many enemies will bog one down.

Now where is Monsieur Armand

Country flag
Is the Topic not about India asking china to back off ? is the last few pages not talking about India backing that talk up? are we living in two diferrent worlds? all around the conversation is will India follow through and challenge the Chinese...

Do I need to go through all posts and quote them for you? do I need to explain in baby steps how I drew the line between India asking china to back off verbally and if they will follow it up with actions against the Chinese? do I really need to explain how historical attitudes of avoidance plays into this?
India has naval ties with vietnam gifting weapons to vietnam and plan a base in vietnam this is the military side no backing off from this. Oil exploration energy is economic. Please stick to topics you understand without derailing threads.

JayATL

Well lets see the aim of India is to make South China sea a bigger dispute with more pissed off parties against China in the dispute.Too many enemies will bog one down.

Now where is Monsieur Armand
He does have a point though - they did cut off the cables . although I have always suspected that Chinese military does a lot of aggressive actions unannounced to the leadership. We all heard how their premier had no clue about many military aggressions when Bob gates US Def sct. visted China last year

pmaitra

Have you thought about the 3rd World War when you send that naval ship to waters claimed by China?

Don't threaten us with the 3rd World War, we have been threatened enough times by someone much much stronger than you. And to be honest, I don't think there is gonna be anything like 3rd World War if we sink an Indian naval ship in Chinese waters. That is something bond to happen when you send a naval ship another country's waters, everyone knows it, including Indian naval officers.

That is not something India can decide.

No, we will not shy away if it is in our waters.
Those are not your waters. You will have to physically sink an Indian Naval ship in South China Sea and hope there is no retaliation from India. Rest assured, there will be.

Again, we don't recognise claims by PRC on South China Sea, so we are not bound to follow your diktats. The only way you can enforce your will is by force itself. Try it.

JayATL

Those are not your waters. You will have to physically sink an Indian Naval ship in South China Sea and hope there is no retaliation from India. Rest assured, there will be.

Again, we don't recognise claims by PRC on South China Sea, so we are not bound to follow your diktats. The only way you can enforce your will is by force itself. Try it.
I don't want to be a bummer here dude. but has india ever retaliated? is that not a fair question? thousands killed from across the border and ....?

Oracle

I don't want to be a bummer here dude. but has india ever retaliated? is that not a fair question? thousands killed from across the border and ....?
Dude, you can take up this issue on the appropriate thread. This thread has a different purpose.

JayATL

Yes, at Nathu La in 1983 if I am not mistaken with the year.
I'll reserve my confidence for now or lack thereof. This is shaping up to be a real interesting scenario. Chinese have cut off cables of French company in the past...they have been very aggressive on their stance in S.China sea and even if their claims are not correct on whom owns it- I just have no confidence yet that India will escalate a comeback . Time will tell...and as far oil exploration goes this is at least a year away from time to contracts being signed and work begining...and china's response militarily

pmaitra

In such cases, one has to take it in stride.

First of all, if it is a covert operation, then it has to be countered with intelligence.

However, if a ship comes in and launches depth charges destroying infrastructure, then the response could be different.

Something in the lines of graduated response.

pmaitra

I'll reserve my confidence for now or lack thereof. This is shaping up to be a real interesting scenario. Chinese have cut off cables of French company in the past...they have been very aggressive on their stance in S.China sea and even if their claims are nor correct on whom owns it- I just have no confidence yet that India will escalate a comeback . Time will tell...and as far oil exploration goes this is at least a year away from time to contracts being signed and work begining...
Well it was 1967. My mistake.

Anyways, I think military imbalance between India and PRC was worse in 1967 than now. PRC will think hard and for long before getting aggressively involved.

JayATL

Well it was 1967. My mistake.

Anyways, I think military imbalance between India and PRC was worse in 1967 than now. PRC will think hard and for long before getting aggressively involved.
You post above this quote was a superb analogy of what they will do- why risk depth charge as your example cites- they will surreptitiously cut the lines and wait for the covert action back...if it comes. But on the world stage they would have won the PR stance of being aggressive and stopping a project. In other words their cutting of the cables will be known as " them cutting the cables", worldwide and a slap on Vietnam/ India. and if India sits back for some covert action ( I highly doubt it again given its history)-- its still a blemish on India.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles