China marks massacre amid strained Japan ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country flag
China marks massacre amid tense Japan ties

China marks the 75th anniversary Thursday of the killing of huge numbers of people in Nanjing by Japanese soldiers, in a year when a territorial row sent ties between the Asian powers plunging.

The two countries -- the world's second- and third-largest economies -- have extensive trade and business links, but the weight of history still bears heavily on their relationship.

China says 300,000 civilians and soldiers died in a spree of killing, rape and destruction in the six weeks after the Japanese military entered the then capital on December 13, 1937.

Some foreign academics put the number of deaths lower, including China historian Jonathan Spence who estimates that 42,000 soldiers and citizens were killed and 20,000 women raped, many of whom later died.

At the Nanjing Massacre Memorial in the city's west, goose-stepping soldiers carrying flower wreaths rehearsed on Wednesday, watched by scores of tourists, ahead of the ceremony, which will be an invite-only event.

Retired school teacher Li Fanling took photos of a list of victims carved into a grey stone wall, some known only by descriptions such as "Old Yang's son".

"Name after name," he said. "The Japanese killed so many people but they don't acknowledge it, so Chinese people are angry."

A few metres (yards) away, teachers led schoolchildren by a covered pit of smashed skulls and broken femurs covered with a light layer of soil, remains of some of the 10,000 victims said to be located at the memorial site.

The 75th anniversary has taken on added meaning given the poor state of bilateral ties, a Chinese academic said.

"We need to remain on serious alert about the tendency in Japan to deny the fact of Japan's wartime aggression," said Wu Jinan of the Shanghai Institute for International Studies.

"The anniversary may only cool relations further to reach a freezing point. Currently, it's hard to see any signs of improvement."

Protests against Japan erupted in Chinese cities earlier this year, causing an estimated $100 million in damages and losses to Japanese firms, after Tokyo nationalised islands it calls the Senkakus but Beijing claims as the Diaoyus.

Chinese dissidents say the Communist Party nurtures anti-Japanese sentiment as part of its claim to a right to rule. Beijing typically cracks down on public protests but the anti-Japan demonstrations were allowed to take place.

A Japanese diplomat, who declined to be named, said his country hoped for an improvement in relations after Japan holds general elections in a few days' time and China's own leadership transition completes next year.

But some ultra-conservative Japanese politicians dispute that atrocities ever took place in Nanjing.

Japan says it has apologised to Asian countries, citing a 2005 statement by then Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi who expressed "deep remorse and heartfelt apology" in a reiteration of an earlier pronouncement in 1995.

In an inconclusive joint study two years ago the Japanese side pointed to "various estimates" for the number of deaths, ranging from as low as 20,000 to 200,000.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Nanking 'Massacre' has been refuted by the Japanese.

It was exaggerated because all powers were against Japan then and so it made good propaganda.

Impluseblade

Moderator: Could you give Ray a red card for his insult to all the Chinese?

It was exaggerated because all powers were against Japan then and so it made good propaganda.

Impluseblade

Here is the real trolling: President Hu has moved to a different place. Are you still living in Zhong Nanhai to serve our next President?
yeah and you should be given a flower garland for unnecessarily trolling here:taunt1:!

mikhail

Country flag
Here is the real trolling: President Hu has moved to a different place. Are you still living in Zhong Nanhai to serve our next President?
happy trolling mate.btw i don't think even my domestic help will serve the chini president ever!:pound:

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned

All should come and take a closer look of this Indian Facist. very rare scene indeed.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Moderator: Could you give Ray a red card for his insult to all the Chinese?
WE don't live in a goldfish bowl.

We look at issue in all its parameters and are not fed with propaganda of the past or the present.

What Red Card?

The Massacre has been refuted by the Japanese. Have you some doubt.

Try this:

Google Fake of Nanking Massacre.

In so far as the Red Card, you must be wary that one should not accuse anyone without knowing the facts.

The Japanese find it a fake propaganda and the youtube videos seem to corroborate the view that fake photos were conjured.

Last edited by a moderator:

s002wjh

Country flag

i can't belief that some indian has so much negative view on china, that they try to defend japan atrocity during wwii. nanking massacre is a proven fact, whether looking from western or east history, those who defend/justify it really has some questionable morality:tsk:

does this look like propaganda to you.

Unit 731 Japanese Torture & Human Medical Experiments 部隊の真実 - YouTube

next time when you open your mouth on issues such as massacre of chinese, korean, phillippine, jews by japan/german in wwii. you might want to think through

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
All should come and take a closer look of this Indian Facist. very rare scene indeed.
Fascist?

How come?

It is you who is inventing history.

You are the fascists!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
i can't belief that some indian has so much negative view on china, that they try to defend japan atrocity during wwii. nanking massacre is a proven fact, whether looking from western or east history, those who defend/justify it really has some questionable morality:tsk:

does this look like propaganda to you.

Unit 731 Japanese Torture & Human Medical Experiments 部隊の真実 - YouTube

next time when you open your mouth on issues such as massacre of chinese, korean, phillippine, jews by japan/german in wwii. you might want to think through
It is not an open fact.

The Japanese feel it is a debatable fact.

As far as all these so called massacres, there are always two views and the winner's view is what sticks!

As we all know that the victor writes the history.

So called proven facts are revisited when new evidene is unearthed.

The Japanese claim to have done so.

Do refute the Japanese viideos appended.

Please don't expect me to kowtow to the history that has been purveyed by the Chinese and the victors.

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
@ ray

there is plenty evidences show the nanking massacre happen, plenty witness, there is no way to turn around this. your negative view on china obivouslly made you try to justify this event never happen. this is low even for you.

if this was fake, how come the only people screaming is fake are japanese, while rest of world consider its true. there is no deny that during wwii japan massacre/live human test etc etc not only to chinese, but to korean, phillippine, american POW etc etc. This is similar to those who said nazi never kill jews or US landing on the moon was fake.

I can understand some japanese want to deny this, but from an indian who never study wwii history but came to a conclusion base on bias. :(

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@s002wjh

You accept this, right?

That the Communist Chinese Govt massacred without provocation, right?

s002wjh

Country flag
It is not an open fact.

The Japanese feel it is a debatable fact.

As far as all these so called massacres, there are always two views and the winner's view is what sticks!

As we all know that the victor writes the history.

So called proven facts are revisited when new evidene is unearthed.

The Japanese claim to have done so.

Do refute the Japanese viideos appended.

Please don't expect me to kowtow to the history that has been purveyed by the Chinese and the victors.
right why don't you ask jews about nazi atrocity in wwii or japanese atrocity toward korean/phillippine/pows.

maybe pakistan terriosit never exist in india either. don't try to justify something did happen with bias.

these history are in western world, taiwan, china, phillippine, and korea. man your morality are in serious question here.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
IMO, there were certainly massacres in WW2 by the Japanese. But that was many years back, and it should be buried as a shameful incident in human history. As of today, Japan is a very peaceful nation, and it is Chinese who are the aggressors.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@ ray

there is plenty evidences show the nanking massacre happen, plenty witness, there is no way to turn around this. your negative view on china obivouslly made you try to justify this event never happen. this is low even for you.

if this was fake, how come the only people screaming is fake are japanese, while rest of world consider its true. there is no deny that during wwii japan massacre/live human test etc etc not only to chinese, but to korean, phillippine, american POW etc etc. This is similar to those who said nazi never kill jews or US landing on the moon was fake.

I can understand some japanese want to deny this, but from an indian who never study wwii history but came to a conclusion base on bias. :(
Japanese will surely scream - the same way you scream aboyt Chinese brutality and repression.

Others will only watch till the evidence is unearth and totally corroborated.

Till then it will remain grey.

Pray do not overreach yourself with silly comment that I have not studied WWII or other warfare. Studied not only from western viewpoint but also those of the enemy, if you will. That is whatever was available.

I take it that you and the Chinese agree that China brutally stole land from India in 1962, right?

The world feels so!

I take it that you all are blaming the Dalai Lama falsely for your faults in Tibet, right?

The world thinks so!

How come you all justify the massacre of the Tibetans when there was the uprising recently, when the world knows what you all did.

You claimed the Tibetans produced false photos!

So?

Remember what is sauce for the goose can also be the sauce for the gander.

Quit your false morality wails.

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
@s002wjh

You accept this, right?

That the Communist Chinese Govt massacred without provocation, right?
tiannmen square did happen, and yes the CCP send alot people to labor camp in the past. but these has nothing to do with japan wwii atrocity.
i don't deny culture revolution never happen nor do i deny the femine in the 60's kill millions chinese. I wrote my post base on facts not bias.

s002wjh

Country flag
Japanese will surely scream - the same way you scream aboyt Chinese brutality and repression.

Others will only watch till the evidence is unearth and totally corroborated.

Till then it will remain grey.

Pray do not overreach yourself with silly comment that I have not studied WWII or other warfare. Studied not only from western viewpoint but also those of the enemy, if you will. That is whatever was available.
like i said there is plenty evidence support this. if you don't trust chinese source, then look at korean, phillippine, taiwaness, russia, american history record on these. there IS ABSOLUTELY no evidence that nanking massacre never happen. even nazi has evidence shows atrocity done by japanese in wwii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles