China invites India to join its Maritime Silk Road initiative

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by t_co, Feb 15, 2014.

1. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

China invites India to join its Maritime Silk Road initiative - Livemint

Couple things to note here:

1. This plan is presented concurrent to the recently resumed Sino-Indian border talks.
    2. My sources in a Chinese think tank indicate that the UPA's worsening electoral position has made them (and MMS in particular) anxious for a 'comprehensive' (综合性) agreement with China before May 2014.
    3. My sources also state that the BJP has privately urged China to 'stall' on their negotiations (analogous to what the Nixon campaign did with the North Vietnamese in 1968), hoping China gives 'credit' for any final agreement to the BJP (and Narendra Modi in particular). The BJP also threatened that 'any Sino-Indian agreement presented to the Lok Sabha while the UPA holds power will be nullified as soon as the BJP takes over' and 'the UPA's days are numbered'.
    4. Concurrent to China's naval deployments in the Lombok Straits, China is also prepping a sweetened economic package for India - clear example of carrot and stick diplomacy.
    5. Eventually, this agreement will link with RCEP (a trade region centered around ASEAN + China + India + possibly Aus/Japan).
    6. This agreement will have a heavy 'anti-piracy' component that will create yearly joint naval drills.

This is the 'security for IOR shipping lanes' deal I've hinted at on DFI for a while. Now, it is public.

3. aerokan

aerokan Regular Member

Leaving all the political equations and the usual 'friendly' gestures apart, what does this initiative contains? From what i read, it's all too ambiguous to even comprehend what this is all about. Care to put a clearer picture? Thanks

4. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

I can't reveal more because then my friends would stop talking to me, but the $300bn package that was just revealed is one specific element of this initiative.

A few things China has realized since 2008 are:

1. China has actual and vital interests in South Asia, and IOR in particular
    2. The only ways for China to achieve its interests there are with the help of India or with the complete destruction (dismemberment + nukes) of India.

What you're seeing now is that China has cast the die, so to speak, towards getting India to help safeguard its interests.