China, India can 'change the world' - China Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggy321

China, India can 'change the world' :thumb:

However, barriers like unfavorable policy, mistrust need to be removed

If China and India can remove some hurdles and work together more closely, they will be able to change the whole world, participants told the "Opportunities for China-Indian Strategic Business Partnership" forum in Mumbai on Tuesday.

Though China is India's largest trade partner, there is not much collaboration in other fields. Meanwhile, business relations are often obstructed with unfavorable government policies and misconceptions.

Participants discuss issues on China-India business relations at the "Opportunities for China-India Strategic Business Partnership" forum in Mumbai, India on Tuesday. [Photo/China Daily]

"As Asia is hailed as the savior of the world economy, China and India are emerging as the first-tier world economic giants. However, the bilateral trade volume and business activities between the two pale in comparison with their respective weight in world economy," said Zhou Li, publisher and editor-in-chief of China Daily Asia Pacific.

The luncheon panel discussion was co-hosted by China Daily Asia Leadership Roundtable, an invitation only network of Asian decision makers, and the India-China Economic and Cultural Council, or ICEC, an Indian non-governmental organization.

Representatives from leading Chinese companies in India, like the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Mumbai branch), ZTE Telecom India and power giant TBEA Energy India, laid on the table the opportunities they foresee, the challenges they face and suggestions as to what can be done to create better synergy between Chinese and Indian companies.

Cui Liangjun, CEO of ZTE Telecom India, said the company, which arrived in India in 1999, has almost all India telecom operators as its customers. While there is huge potential in India, especially in the rural areas where mobile phone penetration is less than 20 percent in some places, there are also hurdles like visa difficulties and security issues. However, ZTE remains optimistic and will be seeking to expand its operations in the next few years from the telecom sector to power, education and railways.

TBEA General Manager Liu Wei mentioned taxation problems the company faced initially. Now with its factory being built in western Gujarat state, there are problems with labor and subcontractors, he said.

"Despite the challenges, if China and India work together they will change the world," said Zheng Xinli, permanent vice-chairman, China Center for International Economic Exchanges. Outlining some of the areas in which the two countries can work together, Zheng advocated matching Indian software expertise with Chinese hardware skills, saying the synergy can change the global information and communication technology.

Other areas include financial services, energy and infrastructure, he added. "Chinese and Indian companies should work together to form merger and acquisitions overseas," he said. "Both India and China can go overseas together to acquire natural resources like mines and oil and gas."

Kaushal Sampat, president and CEO-India at Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India, suggested joint ventures can be a way of gaining greater acceptance in India.

"When I visited power stations in India, I saw a large part of the equipment was made by Chinese companies. Why can't they be made in India?" That, he said, will get greater acceptance from the industry, local governments as well as local standard implementing authorities.

ICEC President P S Deodhar suggested Chinese and Indian companies co-produce international brands that will not be subject to regulatory issues.

The Indian experts advised Chinese companies to hire consultants' help in advance to avoid misunderstandings.

India-based consulting firm E J McKay and Co was set up initially to advise Indian companies on investing in China. About five years ago, the company began advising Chinese companies on investments in India, said Kamal Rungta, the company's managing director.

"Sany, one of the largest construction companies in China, invested in Pune (after consultations)," he said. "It is important to have an experienced adviser. Then the chances of success are higher."

China, India can 'change the world' |Economy |chinadaily.com.cn

mikhail

Country flag
loads of utter b.s. from the chini side:bs:!the truth is that we shouldn't believe the chinis.the last time we danced to their tunes they invaded us in '62.i am not against china but the reality is we should be very careful when it comes to dealing with the chinis:rolleyes:

s002wjh

Country flag
loads of utter b.s. from the chini side:bs:!the truth is that we shouldn't believe the chinis.the last time we danced to their tunes they invaded us in '62.i am not against china but the reality is we should be very careful when it comes to dealing with the chinis:rolleyes:
see thats your problem they offer more trading etc, but you shy away. there are issues, but if any party involve thinking the samething i doubt the relationship will ever become anything more than neighbor.

Snuggy321

dude, we have to move on. We cant live in a war like situation forever. Do you want your children to live in a unstable neighborhood where people even talk about nuclear war? 1962 is past. We are two emerging countries and neighbors, this provides more oppertunities than threats. We have to learn to live together in peace and mutual friendship and growing trade is the best way to build up a strong friendship. Let us not destroy our efforts by a borderdispute created by some colonialists some hundred years ago.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
China, India can 'change the world' :thumb:

However, barriers like unfavorable policy, mistrust need to be removed

If China and India can remove some hurdles and work together more closely, they will be able to change the whole world, participants told the "Opportunities for China-Indian Strategic Business Partnership" forum in Mumbai on Tuesday.

Though China is India's largest trade partner, there is not much collaboration in other fields. Meanwhile, business relations are often obstructed with unfavorable government policies and misconceptions.

Participants discuss issues on China-India business relations at the "Opportunities for China-India Strategic Business Partnership" forum in Mumbai, India on Tuesday. [Photo/China Daily]

"As Asia is hailed as the savior of the world economy, China and India are emerging as the first-tier world economic giants. However, the bilateral trade volume and business activities between the two pale in comparison with their respective weight in world economy," said Zhou Li, publisher and editor-in-chief of China Daily Asia Pacific.

The luncheon panel discussion was co-hosted by China Daily Asia Leadership Roundtable, an invitation only network of Asian decision makers, and the India-China Economic and Cultural Council, or ICEC, an Indian non-governmental organization.

Representatives from leading Chinese companies in India, like the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Mumbai branch), ZTE Telecom India and power giant TBEA Energy India, laid on the table the opportunities they foresee, the challenges they face and suggestions as to what can be done to create better synergy between Chinese and Indian companies.

Cui Liangjun, CEO of ZTE Telecom India, said the company, which arrived in India in 1999, has almost all India telecom operators as its customers. While there is huge potential in India, especially in the rural areas where mobile phone penetration is less than 20 percent in some places, there are also hurdles like visa difficulties and security issues. However, ZTE remains optimistic and will be seeking to expand its operations in the next few years from the telecom sector to power, education and railways.

TBEA General Manager Liu Wei mentioned taxation problems the company faced initially. Now with its factory being built in western Gujarat state, there are problems with labor and subcontractors, he said.

"Despite the challenges, if China and India work together they will change the world," said Zheng Xinli, permanent vice-chairman, China Center for International Economic Exchanges. Outlining some of the areas in which the two countries can work together, Zheng advocated matching Indian software expertise with Chinese hardware skills, saying the synergy can change the global information and communication technology.

Other areas include financial services, energy and infrastructure, he added. "Chinese and Indian companies should work together to form merger and acquisitions overseas," he said. "Both India and China can go overseas together to acquire natural resources like mines and oil and gas."

Kaushal Sampat, president and CEO-India at Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India, suggested joint ventures can be a way of gaining greater acceptance in India.

"When I visited power stations in India, I saw a large part of the equipment was made by Chinese companies. Why can't they be made in India?" That, he said, will get greater acceptance from the industry, local governments as well as local standard implementing authorities.

ICEC President P S Deodhar suggested Chinese and Indian companies co-produce international brands that will not be subject to regulatory issues.

The Indian experts advised Chinese companies to hire consultants' help in advance to avoid misunderstandings.

India-based consulting firm E J McKay and Co was set up initially to advise Indian companies on investing in China. About five years ago, the company began advising Chinese companies on investments in India, said Kamal Rungta, the company's managing director.

"Sany, one of the largest construction companies in China, invested in Pune (after consultations)," he said. "It is important to have an experienced adviser. Then the chances of success are higher."

China, India can 'change the world' |Economy |chinadaily.com.cn

Very unwise move from the Chinsee side, investing in India's infrastructure? UK did not do it after India's independence, US did not do it,
France did not do it, soviets did but russian stopped doing it, Japan did not do it, now it is China to build up India's backbone for industry?
Whoever made this decision is a fool.

mikhail

Country flag
dude, we have to move on. We cant live in a war like situation forever. Do you want your children to live in a unstable neighborhood where people even talk about nuclear war? 1962 is past. We are two emerging countries and neighbors, this provides more oppertunities than threats. We have to learn to live together in peace and mutual friendship and growing trade is the best way to build up a strong friendship. Let us not destroy our efforts by a borderdispute created by some colonialists some hundred years ago.
i can understand your feelings mate and i also want our country to have a normal relation with china but the question is can we trust them!i mean the last time we trusted them blindly they literally backstabbed us.so there's absolutely no guarantee that they will stick to their words this time!all i want to say is i am a bit sceptical about this "hindi chini bhai bhai" attitude:confused2:!

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
This is obviously a diplomatic parlance. Some things may hold true, but they have to be put into perspective
This will probably infuriate Indian nationalists, but I must reiterate the fundamental fact; India and China are not equals by any stretch of the imagination. India and China are in two completely different leagues. China is in an extreme growth phase powered by its increasing technological prowess and mercantile economy. India is still an underdeveloped nation that is inching its way toward modernity. Essentially the dynamic India has with China is similar to what it has with the West. There's no real equability there. India is still a net importer of goods and technology and China is a prolific exporter. All this talk of joint ventures to harvest natural resources together in other parts of the world or Chinese industrial offsets is laughable. The ball is entirely in China's court and other than a few nominal displays of cooperation they have no incentive to pursue joint ventures with India. As things stand the significance of Indo Chinese trade is based upon the sheer size of India's consumer market and nothing more. India does not have the technological capability to access China's high value goods market. India's exports to China are largely raw materials much like African, South American and other underdeveloped countries.
However in order for Indo Chinese trade to truly shape the future of the global economy as many imagine, India would have to acquire Chinese technology (which is cheaper than Western technology) to build a state of the art infrastructure which it can then use to actually become a global competitor. (Granted this will not happen unless there is labor and land reform)

Tianshan

there should be no illusion that we can ever become brothers like in the bhai quote.

however it is in both our interests that there is no conflict between china and india in the future. it will be all loss and no gain for both sides, whether economic or otherwise.

we should be like neighbors who say a friendly hello to each other in the morning before getting on with our own business.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Something that defines the mutual suffering of both China and India..

Also will add, if we look up the bigger picture its quite clear what are the objectives..

-------------------
-------------------

Though in current situation it is not possible even to think specially in Military sense, India and China have largest land dispute in entire globe and both Nations were at War 62 and many Serious skirmish before notable 67, 87..

We should not forget our War dead not the War itself but for mutual benefits both Nations have to find a way which is still stuck where it was in 62..

Last edited by a moderator:

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
there should be no illusion that we can ever become brothers like in the bhai quote.

however it is in both our interests that there is no conflict between china and india in the future. it will be all loss and no gain for both sides, whether economic or otherwise.

we should be like neighbors who say a friendly hello to each other in the morning before getting on with our own business.
It is too idealistic to foresee such a cooperation, Indian's policy is heavily influenced by western countries and pro-western leadership. Their elites are nothing Indian but skin.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
(1) the significance of Indo Chinese trade is based upon the sheer size of India's consumer market and nothing more. India does not have the technological capability to access China's high value goods market.

(2) India would have to acquire technology to build a state of the art infrastructure to become a competitor.
ABSOLUTELY !! to All of your post ..........and in particular , i have picked out the 2 points above and edited them but their meaning has remained unchanged

(! ) china wants access to india's huge consumer market

(2) india cant compete without a modernised infrastructure

so china hopes to widen even further the trade balance of payments .....other than that the rest of the story is just nice talk hoping to hypnotise us

Sunder singh

It is too idealistic to foresee such a cooperation, Indian's policy is heavily influenced by western countries and pro-western leadership. Their elites are nothing Indian but skin.
so you us to be pro chinese, we indians r nither pro western or pro eastern we r pro indians, we got reward of being pro chinese in 1962 regarding the term "Elites" is the word i hate most in india or among indians i never ever heard the word frist i incounter the word in pakis and chinese forums for your kind information their no elite group in india although rich and poor make more sences for us.
in india we call "Bharat bhagiaya vithadata" means we indians decide or faith.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Jab chini meethi baate kare toh apna sar charo taraf ghumma ke dekho aache se ki chaku toh nhi hai tumhare peet ke paas.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Did Alexander's army impregnate that many Chinese women?
English saying.

I would not know about the historical connection between Alexander and the Han, but the Khans did do many things that are not above board to the Han.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Actually ideally yes. China and India can change the world, AGAIN I may add. Indian and Chinese ancient civilization taught the world a lot of things.

But sadly, I cannot trust the Chinis one bit. So no, there cannot be any kind of a strategic partnership.

Snuggy321

i can understand your feelings mate and i also want our country to have a normal relation with china but the question is can we trust them!i mean the last time we trusted them blindly they literally backstabbed us.so there's absolutely no guarantee that they will stick to their words this time!all i want to say is i am a bit sceptical about this "hindi chini bhai bhai" attitude:confused2:!
This happend 50 years ago. Our trade will soon reach the 100 billion mark. Even Poland and Russia have very close relation ships with the Germans now, who wanted to eradicate the entire eastern european population 60 years ago.
And whats wrong with trading? No one talks about opening up our borders or to share anything confidential with them

Tolaha

:rolleyes: How can one be so ignorant about one's own country?

On topic:
China can change the world. Maybe India can change the world eventually. What I wonder is whether rest of us would like a world that has been changed by the CCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles