China 'holds general's son for gang rape'

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China 'holds general's son for gang rape'

China has detained the 17-year-old son of a general on suspicion of involvement in a gang rape, reports said Friday, the latest allegation against the privileged children of officials to spark public outrage.

Li Tianyi, the son of general Li Shuangjiang -- a popular singer and household name in the country -- was held on Thursday, reported several Chinese news outlets including state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV).

Crimes by the offspring of China's elite cause particular anger among ordinary people.

The latest reports did not go into detail about the alleged offence, but news of the teenager's arrest was re-posted thousands of times on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, with many users leaving angry comments.

"Child, why don't you stop disturbing everyone and quickly grow up," said one. "Your father has a glorious past, and you are blaspheming it."

Other Weibo users were more direct. "Put him to death," said another.

Contacted for comment, a Beijing public security bureau official told AFP to refer to the domestic media reports.

It is not the first time the teenager has come to public attention.

He was sent to a government correctional facility for one year in 2011 for beating a couple while their young child looked on.

Hundreds of thousands of people went online to express their outrage at the time, and the general, a dean of the music department at the Beijing-based People's Liberation Army Academy of Arts, apologised for his son's actions.

"As the father, I bear the responsibility for my son's behaviour. I'm so sorry that I'd rather now be beaten by you," he was quoted as saying.

"I will not condone my son's faults, and there will be a settlement."

That incident came after a high-profile scandal in 2010, when the son of a top police officer tried to use his father's status to escape a fatal car accident he had caused.

Li Qiming, 22, ran over a student in the northern province of Hebei, and shouted: "Sue me if you dare. My father is Li Gang!". He was later sentenced to six years in prison.

Last March senior Communist Party official Ling Jihua's son reportedly died when he crashed a Ferrari in the capital, leaving two women passengers -- one said to have been naked -- injured.

China 'holds general's son for gang rape' | Bangkok Post: news

Rather extraordinary.

I thought I read in some thread that there is nothing like gang rape in China and then there was much posting on homosexuality!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Li Qiming, 22, ran over a student in the northern province of Hebei, and shouted: "Sue me if you dare. My father is Li Gang!". He was later sentenced to six years in prison.
Was there a civil suit as well as criminal proceedings, I wonder.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
BEIJING — One morning in May, government officials assembled the 700 students of Ashi township's middle school, in the southeastern Chinese province of Guizhou, for a lesson on the importance of abiding by the law. Rule No. 1, they said, was simple: If you break the law, you will be punished.
Enlarge This Image

Sim Chi Yin for The New York Times
Guo Jianmei directs a legal center that aids rape victims and that has lost half of its financing.
But as one teacher tells it, their actions that afternoon taught a different lesson: The rule does not apply to government officials.

A few hours after the speechifying, the teacher later said, the chief of Ashi's land bureau, who had attended the school session, raped her. When she tried to bring charges the next day, she said, a police commander told her, "If he wore a condom, it isn't rape." Other officials pressured her to keep silent and urged her boyfriend to abandon her so she would lose courage, she said.

Only two months later, after the teacher posted an eloquent plea online and a newspaper reported her accusations, did officials take action. Heads have rolled. The accused has been arrested.

The teacher's case illustrates an axiom of the Chinese justice system: Rape victims face extremely long odds if they accuse officials or others of special social status. Guo Jianmei, the director of the Women's Legal Consultancy Center in Beijing, said even seemingly airtight cases with physical evidence and sympathetic victims could fail.

"There is still a huge possibility that the rapist would not be put behind bars," Ms. Guo said.

But the case also suggests that victims are no longer quite so alone. "We see more and more victims getting help from the Internet," she said. "We are really happy to see that public opinion in this country is playing a role in restoring justice."

Victims get little help elsewhere. Rape crisis centers and hot lines remain extremely rare in China. Beijing, with more than 20 million people, has one sexual assault hot line that supposedly operates four evenings a week. One recent week, the telephone went unanswered on two of those nights.

Ms. Guo says her center is the only private group in China that offers legal aid specifically to rape victims. But the center is fighting for its life. Because of government pressure, it lost its standing as a nongovernmental group and was forced to relinquish about half of its financing. Further restrictions may be in store.

As in many countries, in China only a small fraction of rape victims ever charge their attackers. In a country of 1.3 billion, fewer than 32,000 sex crimes were reported in 2007, the latest year for which government statistics are available. By contrast, the number of rapes reported in the United States that year was more than 12 times as high.

"Let me give you an example," said Li Ying, the vice director of Ms. Guo's center. "A few years ago there was a case where one man in a village raped more than 100 women. Not one of them spoke up."

The teacher's case is a glaring example of how "officials in remote places cover for each other and protect each other," said Li Yinhe, a sociologist at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

In a mineral-rich region of China, Wang Zhonggui, the head of Ashi's land and resource bureau, was particularly powerful. So when the middle school held a legal-awareness program on May 17, Mr. Wang, 28, was among a group of authorities, including the school's principal, public security officials and Communist Party leaders, who were invited to a post-lecture lunch at the local government building.

Teachers ate in the canteen, including the woman who said she was later raped. Her account of what followed has appeared in the local news media and on the Internet. Local government officials did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

According to the teacher, the principal urged her to toast the officials in their dining room, and she felt compelled to comply, toasting each official in turn with a shot of baijiu, China's fiery, clear liquor. After 14 or 15 shots, she said, she was hopelessly drunk.

Feeling sick, she accepted a ride home with Mr. Wang and the school's vice principal. But instead, she said, they took her to Mr. Wang's suite. After the school official left, she staggered to the bathroom, threw up and tried to hold the door shut while Mr. Wang pounded on it.

Then, she said, Mr. Wang climbed through the bathroom window and dragged her to a bedroom adjoining his office. She woke up several hours later, almost naked, in an empty room. On the floor was a used condom, she said.

After agonizing all night, she went with her mother to the police station, where Zhong Xiancong, a police official who had attended the luncheon, heard her report of rape.

"To protect your reputation, you should forget about the whole thing," she said Mr. Zhong told her. "You should tell your boyfriend Wang just hugged you." He also said there was no need for the police to secure the crime scene, she said.

The police detained Mr. Wang three days after the episode, but released him two weeks later, citing a lack of evidence, according to Chinese news media reports.

Meanwhile, the teacher said, a township Communist Party committee member told her boyfriend's uncle: "Tell her boyfriend not to stay with her. He can get other girls." Without support, the party representative said, the teacher would not have the courage to press criminal charges.

On July 5, the teacher posted a detailed account of the attack online. "I am appealing from the bottom of my heart: leaders, please punish this criminal; please make these public servants that I've mentioned above take responsibility for their actions; please seek justice on my behalf," she wrote.

A week later, The Qianzhong Morning Post, a local daily newspaper, published her accusations. Mr. Wang was quickly arrested.

Mr. Zhong, the police official who had turned the teacher away, was removed from his post. So was a public security official from the city that governs Ashi, who had defended Mr. Zhong for drinking on duty while at the luncheon, saying the government's own prohibition against it was illegal. The principal was suspended.

Mr. Wang's trial is expected to take place this month. But local and regional propaganda authorities are still trying to keep the matter quiet.

Late last month, the teacher cut off contact with the news media, saying officials had threatened her safety and that of her family if she continued to speak out.

Mia Li and Adam Century contributed research from Beijing.
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: September 23, 2011

A caption on a photograph in an earlier version of this article incorrectly described the source of funding for the Women's Legal Consultancy Center in Beijing. The center's financing comes from nongovernmental organizations and private sources, not the Chinese government.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/w...inese-justice-system.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

ice berg

I thought I read in some thread that there is nothing like gang rape in China and then there was much posting on homosexuality!
I know what I am about to say will come as a shock to your fragile mind, but here it is:

There are gang rapes in every country. The difference is in countries like India and China with billions of people, there are more of them.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I know what I am about to say will come as a shock to your fragile mind, but here it is:

There are gang rapes in every country. The difference is in countries like India and China with billions of people, there are more of them.
Not quite.

It is not a shock to me.

People all over the world are same.

In that thread, IIRC, it was laughed off that there is no gang rape in China.

My appending this thread is just to prove that we are all the same.

Ideal is the Urdu saying that one should never forget - Hamam men sab nanga.

That means in the hot house (steam bathing houses) we are all naked i.e. all are same!

nimo_cn

Country flag
so this thread is to prove there is gang rape in China?

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
so this thread is to prove there is gang rape in China?

No.

It is just a reminder in the maze of China the Greatest, Finest, the best and Pure propaganda, that it is as good as any other nation since Hamam men sab nanga!

Just a reality check as information to all and nothing more.

Unless ofcourse it is proved to be a bogus report and a capitalist or a capitalist roader plot to defame China.

I am sure the Chinese posters will find some proof to show that Thailand is slandering them!

nimo_cn

Country flag
Not quite.

It is not a shock to me.

That means in the hot house (steam bathing houses) we are all naked i.e. all are same!
Ray, prove it to us that Chinese posters ever said something like there is no gang rape in China, otherwise there is no point starting this thread.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray, prove it to us that Chinese posters ever said something like there is no gang rape in China, otherwise there is no point starting this thread.

While you all go hammer and tongs over every thing, your loudness in silence over this, proves what?

So it was little surprise that when Ping Fu published her memoirs last year, the searing account of how she was seized from her family at eight, gang-raped at 10 and then forced into exile after investigating infanticide of baby girls was acclaimed by critics and readers.
Most hurtful were accusations she had invented a gang rape when she was a child by critics who insisted that such attacks do not happen in China.
"I was being the victimised as the 'broken shoe' again," she said, referring to a term of abuse often used for prostitutes that was applied to her by a particular tormenter in the wake of the brutal sexual assault.
That she was resorting falsehood and indeed as you all like to put it, a 'broken shoe'?

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ies-inventing-cultural-revolution-horror.html

no smoking

Country flag
Rather extraordinary.

Oh, really? Could you provide the link, I would like to see such a foolish statement.
Or you just twist other people's words ONCE AGAIN?

nimo_cn

Country flag
While you all go hammer and tongs over every thing, your loudness in silence over this, proves what?

That she was resorting falsehood and indeed as you all like to put it, a 'broken shoe'?

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ies-inventing-cultural-revolution-horror.html
hearsay again! I thought you actually saw Chinese posters here denying gang rape in China.

No Chinese posters here ever state that gang rape doesnt exist in China.

what is the point starting a thread on DFI?

to tell Chinese posters that there are gang rapes in China? we never said the opposite.

to lift your own spirit after being traumatized by recent gang rape in India? that makes sense. i noticed that you said China and India are the same in this regard which is rare.

By the way, in which way does this individual case make China the same with the heaven of rape!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
hearsay again! I thought you actually saw Chinese posters here denying gang rape in China.

No Chinese posters here ever state that gang rape doesnt exist in China.

what is the point starting a thread on DFI?

to tell Chinese posters that there are gang rapes in China? we never said the opposite.

to lift your own spirit after being traumatized by recent gang rape in India? that makes sense. i noticed that you said China and India are the same in this regard which is rare.

By the way, in which way does this individual case make China the same with the heaven of rape!
I take it that silence is a politically correct substitute for acquiescing.

That is more so when Chinese posters go ballistics at even a small issue raised on China and enter a long drawn post banter.

China is not the heaven of rapes. It just indicates that the princelings are now getting caught, even though

Guo Jianmei directs a legal center that aids rape victims and that has lost half of its financing.
But as one teacher tells it, their actions that afternoon taught a different lesson: The rule does not apply to government officials.

huaxia rox

kindly show me the link of the thread.....its my understanding that who ever said there is nothing like gang rape in China is a liar because he doesnt respect simple facts......gang rape happens in every nation more or less........but the problem is if nobody said that then you yourself is an obvious liar.........if i were you i would like to present the envidence here to show who on earth is a liar......how does that sound??

nimo_cn

Country flag
I take it that silence is a politically correct substitute for acquiescing.

That is more so when Chinese posters go ballistics at even a small issue raised on China and enter a long drawn post banter.

China is not the heaven of rapes. It just indicates that the princelings are now getting caught, even though
I never said China is the heaven of rape, by that I was refering to India.

There are gang rapes in every country, but that doesn't make every country the same with India. Sexual assaults against women in India are so rampant that no country can be compared to India in this regard.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Not quite.

It is not a shock to me.

If this one individual case makes us the same, then I don't see any difference between China and India in other apsects.

satish007

Chinese will not feel sorry for corruption but gang rape is 0 tolerance, their business will be cut immediately without sentence which is also Ray most and only like china part. Anyway there are so many left over women waiting for men and free and lots of hookers reasonable price.

satish007

If this one individual case makes us the same, then I don't see any difference between China and India in other apsects.
Not we are different india gang rape and kill,we are more civilized,seldom kill victims and many are condom raping which is unique in the world

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Except for the Communist apparatchik and their lackeys who are having a ball!

But Xi Jumping will catch them.

No more dadagiri

Xi Jumping is doing a good bit of work!

satish007

I I hate the place, Lianjiang, the most disgusting place in china. the people have bad behavior there.
gang rape, phone cheating, smuggling

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles