China has territorial claims to nearly 20 countries

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
lol so is this your argument? out of 14 countries that share border with china, how many neighbor of china has problem with china? i can only think 1 land border dispute. i provide link, you provide BS ;)

the only big issue is really SCS which claim by all the involve party.

so if some countries agree falkland belong to argentina, guato bay belong to cuba, you think UK & US ok with that,;) and its ok to let other countries to decide the claim area is yours or others? i dont think any major/super power will alow that including india. you are naive to think border dispute can be settle with a 3rd party, especially if the involve party is a major/super power.
Though not addressed to me, but I take the opportunity to answer.

China has fought wars with Russia, India, Vietnam.

Territorial claims and dispute with Bhutan (namely Cherkip Gompa, Dho, Dungmar, Gesur, Gezon, Itse Gompa, Khochar, Nyanri, Ringung, Sanmar, Tarchen and Zuthulphuk, Kula Kangri and mountainous areas to the west of this peak, plus the western Haa District of Bhutan),

Macclesfield Bank with Taiwan and Philippines.

Okinotorishima with Japan

Paracel Islands with Vietnam and Taiwan.

Scarborough Shoal with Philippines.

Senkaku Islands with Japan.

Shaksgam Valley, a part of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, occupied by China.

Ieodo Island/Suyan Rock (aka Socotra Rock) with Korea.

Spratley Island with every country around the SCS.

Tumen River with Korea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_disputes#Asia_and_the_Pacific

s002wjh

Country flag
Though not addressed to me, but I take the opportunity to answer.

China has fought wars with Russia, India, Vietnam.

Territorial claims and dispute with Bhutan (namely Cherkip Gompa, Dho, Dungmar, Gesur, Gezon, Itse Gompa, Khochar, Nyanri, Ringung, Sanmar, Tarchen and Zuthulphuk, Kula Kangri and mountainous areas to the west of this peak, plus the western Haa District of Bhutan),

Macclesfield Bank with Taiwan and Philippines.

Okinotorishima with Japan

Paracel Islands with Vietnam and Taiwan.

Scarborough Shoal with Philippines.

Senkaku Islands with Japan.

Shaksgam Valley, a part of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, occupied by China.

Ieodo Island/Suyan Rock (aka Socotra Rock) with Korea.

Spratley Island with every country around the SCS.

Tumen River with Korea.

List of territorial disputes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
there are plenty war in india/vietnam/US history too.

as for dispute the only active dispute is SCS, dayo island, and border dispute between india/china. i'm sure india has less active dispute between nepal/Bangladesh. and ROC has even more claim than PRC

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
my point was most countries has border dispute, china is one of them. don't just focus on china, and automatically came to a conclusion that says china is the only one at fault. the SCS is complex issue. china only in the headline cause there are alot media bias about it, some due to different government, some due to they are raising power. etc.
Why border dispute alone?

There are a host of reasons why there are always going to be disputes.

But going to war is something different and hardly the way to solve territorial disputes.

Just to preempt you, of the four wars we have fought with Pakistan, three were started by Pakistan. The first was when they sent Pak soldiers (on leave (sic!)) along with some Pashtuns, then in 1965 (Check Op Gibraltar) and the Kargil War where they sneaked in their army across the Line of Control and occupied heights. 1971 was because of the economic pressure of Bangladeshi refugees and Ms Gandhi and her emissaries went all around the world asking them to check Pakistan's genocide and failed.

In 1962, China attacked India, though they called it 'to teach a lesson'!

China gets highlighted because it undertake flagrant armed standoffs and wars and then takes a moral high ground and will not enter into any third party or UN mediation or agree to laid out international protocols over issues.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
there are plenty war in india/vietnam/US history too.

as for dispute the only active dispute is SCS, dayo island, and border dispute between india/china. i'm sure india has less active dispute between nepal/Bangladesh. and ROC has even more claim than PRC
Well you raised inactive issues regarding India.

So, I just showed where China stands.

Communist China is a legatee of ROC. Why will Communist China look a gift horse in the teeth?

s002wjh

Country flag
i doubt china will start a war anytime soon.

the SCS is a complex issue. china claim has much legitimacy as vietnam, though no one should have SCS by themself. whos right or wrong is from perspective. if you ask vietnamess they will said US is wrong in vietnam war, but if you ask american they will said differently.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Communist China is a legatee of ROC. Why will Communist China look a gift horse in the teeth?
referring only to that aspect of your post - Ray the issue is not quite one of simple inheritance of ROC's claims - the CPC relinquished their claim to mongolia on the basis of "communist solidarity" - my interpretation is rather that they valued the support of the then soviet union over immediate claims of Mongolian territory - the cpc will leave it till later - similarly , the CPC may not want to publicize all of ROC's claims as being theirs too - at least, not at this time

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Some may view the claims of China negatively. The other view is that these constitute the trappings of a great power. Only great powers have the courage to make such extraordinary claims and develop the means to enforce those claims.

Is India a great power? Or just a piddling large country still a prisoner of its colonial history?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Is India a great power? Or just a piddling large country still a prisoner of its colonial history?
Frankly, i cant wait for the day to arrive when india decides to create it's own system instead of complying to someone elses' system - have the guts to decide what's right for the country and the conviction to move ahead on that

Oblaks

yes plz do tell whats cheap stunts. other than you obivous anti-china attitude.
example:
Mischief Reef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 1994, the PRC built initial structures on stilts here while the Philippine Navy was not patrolling the area due to a monsoon season. Since the reef is just 130 miles (209 km) away from Palawan, well inside the Philippines' EEZ, the Philippines immediately protested this action. However, China rejected the protest and stressed that the structures were shelter for fishermen. In 1999, another wave of protests from Manila occurred when China added more structures to Mischief Reef which resembled military installations more closely than shelters for fishermen.[2]

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
wow! 20 countries is good number, any claim in Africa? They go pleanty if natural reserves and they cant defeat PLA.

fzaq

wow! 20 countries is good number, any claim in Africa? They go pleanty if natural reserves and they cant defeat PLA.

yeah 20 irrational claims. can you imagine wht kind of thinking these chicoms have?

GromHellscream

Our target is to make India not one of our neighbours, do you know what is implied here? :rofl:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
how come you have no issue with Pakistan still have militry in that country.

GromHellscream

We can understand you guys have population problem.
As it record, Chinese population was doubled in two decades in Mao's period. We can have a burst in population in any good time if we want to. So your wishful thinking is invalid.

Try it again.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Some may view the claims of China negatively. The other view is that these constitute the trappings of a great power. Only great powers have the courage to make such extraordinary claims and develop the means to enforce those claims.

Good point.

But let us look at history.

Was Germany under Hitler a great power, or a piddling upstart?

Germany, like China, had the wherewithal to wage war and successfully at that too - to a point.

Then the Allies gave Germany a resounding thrashing.

With open eyes, one can see history being repeated.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Slow and steady wins the race.

It is Asia now.

Africa in its own turn!

Africa must have patience to speak Mandarin and acquire the famous Han culture.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles