China firm buys AMC to form world's largest cinema chain

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
China firm buys AMC to form world's largest cinema chain - CNN.com

(CNN) -- China's Dalian Wanda Group and AMC Entertainment announced Monday a $2.6 billion deal to take over the U.S. theater group, forming the world's largest cinema chain, according to a new release on the deal.

The move is the latest in a raft of deals between U.S. entertainment companies and Chinese firms, linking the world's largest theater market with the world's fastest growing.

"This acquisition will help make Wanda a truly global cinema owner, with theatres and technology that enhance the movie-going experience for audiences in the world's two largest movie markets," said Wang Jianlin, chairman and president of Wanda.

satish007

no, Chinese just want to more US able to enjoy Bollywood movies

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
USA the protector of democracy sinking deeper into the Communist quagmire of China. :facepalm:

satish007

Could you please rephrase that?

(btw, AMC already plays enough bollywood movies in North America).
China is the country similar with India, Chinese cannot stand there are so many sex,violence, white supremacy. Bollywood will replace those movies.

pmaitra

So everytime I go to AMC, I will be filling Chinese coffers eh? I don't go there that often anyway, but now, it'll be, rarely!

Tronic

China is the country similar with India, Chinese cannot stand there are so many sex,violence, white supremacy. Bollywood will replace those movies.
Well, I doubt they will stop playing movies with sex and violence; it sells! And let's face it, its all about the money! ;)

Anyways, I was just shocked when I heard the news; I'm indifferent to it. I'll still choose AMC over Famous Players.

satish007

Well, I doubt they will stop playing movies with sex and violence; it sells! And let's face it, its all about the money! ;)

Anyways, I was just shocked when I heard the news; I'm indifferent to it. I'll still choose AMC over Famous Players.
good for you, but plese try some news, China will try to privde some Maoist movies, good for the world, looks you don't like Indian movies very much.

Tronic

good for you, but plese try some news, China will try to privde some Maoist movies, good for the world, looks you don't like Indian movies very much.
lol... I don't get it? I just said I will go to AMC regardless of who it is owned by, but seems like you don't want me visiting AMC anymore since it is Chinese owned. :D

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Wanda acquisitions questioned amid high debt ratio

A fresh round of mergers and acquisitions at Dalian Wanda Group, the largest entertainment firm in China, has triggered speculation about the company's cash flow and motivations given its liability-to-asset ratio of 90%, reports Guangzhou-based newspaper Xin Kuai Bao.

Amid the stir caused by the announcement of its US$2.6-billion purchase of American cinema operator AMC Entertainment, Wanda signed an agreement to invest up to US$3 billion in Russian resorts during a visit to by Beijing by Vladimir Putin, the Russian president. These two agreements, both signed during visits by high-ranking officials from abroad, have triggered rumors that they were politically motivated.

The acquisition of AMC brought controversy as the potential value of the deal to Wanda is not immediately obvious. Annual reports from AMC, the second-largest movie theater operator in the US, showed that in the fiscal year to March 29, the company's revenues had come to roughly US$2.6 billion, translating to losses of US$82 million. Its total assets were US$3.64 billion and total debts US$3.48 billion, bringing its liability-to-asset ratio to 95.7%. Last year, AMC posted revenues of US$2.5 billion and losses of US$82.7 million.

Several investors find it difficult to see the benefits of the deal to Wanda.

Another question being asked surrounds how and from where Wanda obtained the funding for the deal and other investments, said the newspaper. The Chinese entertainment conglomerate reportedly has close ties with several banks, suggesting that the capital for acquisitions and mergers came mostly from bank loans.

The Bank of China and the Agricultural Bank of China are Wanda's biggest lenders — in 2010, the Agricultural Bank of China lent the company more than 20 billion yuan (US$3.14 billion).

Wanda acquisitions questioned amid high debt ratio|Manufacturing|Business|WantChinaTimes.com

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
So basically, the company that bought AMC is insolvent so don't be surprised when it goes bankrupt like so many other Chinese acquisitions.

ice berg

They are not insolvent as long as they can pay their bills and their assets are more than their debs.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Oh wow!

Fantastic.

I have had enough of the Wild West cowboy films and mushy romantic junk from Hollywood.

We will now be able to see the Chinese classics.

1. Wu, the tractor raises cabbage production by 70%.

2. Tong, the Lathe machined China's turbines to increase electricity by 89.2%

3. Pingo Pong game delights the poor peasants in Guizhou.

4. Mao the Swim man beat white shark in underwater race!

amoy

Oh wow!

Fantastic.

I have had enough of the Wild West cowboy films and mushy romantic junk from Hollywood.

But aren't we mostly consisting of those who grow cabbage,

We will now be able to see the Chinese classics.

1. Wu, the tractor raises cabbage production by 70%.

2. Tong, the Lathe machined China's turbines to increase electricity by 89.2%

3. Pingo Pong game delights the poor peasants in Guizhou.

4. Mao the Swim man beat white shark in underwater race!

I appreciate your sarcasm, about Chinese "proletarian" taste.

But aren't we (or our parents) mostly consisting of those who grow cabbage, or operate lathe, or play pingpong or swim, from time to time? :thumb: C'est la vie.

Apart from romances or cowboys in hollybollywood that we've got too used to, maybe it's time to get a bit touch of ordinary people's joy or sorrow, just for a change.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles