China executed more people than rest of world combined: AI

pmaitra

China executed more people than rest of world combined: AI

PTI | Mar 28, 2011; Times of India

HONG KONG: China sentenced thousands of people to death last year even as the rest of the world's combined number dropped, Amnesty International said today.

The London-based group said it could not determine the exact number of executions in China because the figure is listed as a state secret, but it estimated that China executed thousands of people in 2010 for ''a wide range of crimes that include nonviolent offences and after proceedings that did not meet international fair trial standards.''

The number of executions elsewhere, according to the group's annual report, went down from at least 714 people in 2009 to at least 527 in 2010, while at least 23 countries carried out judicial executions in 2010, four more than 2009.

China, Japan, Saudi Arabia and the United States were four of the G20 countries that executed people last year.

The group acknowledged steps China has taken to reduce executions, including the Supreme People's Court's decision to review all death penalty cases since 2007.

It has overturned an average 10 percent of the cases reviewed.

China has also moved to throw out evidence illegally obtained through torture or coerced confessions and has proposed reducing the kinds of capital crimes and exempting convicts over 75 years of age from being executed.

Still, the group ''challenged the Chinese authorities to publish figures for the number of people sentenced to death and executed each year to confirm their claims there has been a reduction in the use of the death penalty in the country.''

Excluding China, Iran executed at least 252 people, followed by North Korea with at least 60 executions, Yemen with at least 53 and the United States with 46.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-of-world-combined-AI/articleshow/7805898.cms

Commentary:
  • How was this 'estimation' done?
  • Source is Amnesty International, that raised hue and cry about human rights violations by Indian security forces in J&K while turning a blind eye to what the terrorists were doing.
  • PRC has the world's highest population, hence, it is to be seen what percentage of their population was executed.

badguy2000

Respected Member
so what?

Indians eat more curry than the the rest world combined tooo.

different culture and traditon cause different view of executing....

BTW,

if my memory is not wrong ,the captured killer durng Bombay gunmen assaulting accident still lives a happy life in one Indian prison ,after he killed dozns of innocent victims,doesn't he?
I am sure that the accemplice of the capture killer must be encouraged by india wonderful legal system.

And, one UK drugs smuggler was executed in CHina just for he smuggled several kilos of drugs into CHina....... I am sure that foreigner drug smugglers will rethink more before they fly to CHina.

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
so what?
Your feelings are well received but .. what kind of correlation is that :D
can't stop laughing .. execution of people and curry consumption. You made my day mate :)

Regards,
Virendra

amoy

Only to add a few tips

1) In many "advanced" countries capital punishment has been abolished (I wish someday China would do the same)

2) In China producing/trafficking/selling heroine >500g is subj to death penalty

3) Many embezzling officials were sentenced to death. The highest ranking was a vice Chairman of CPC (China People's Congress = Indian Parliament) or Governor of Jiangxi Province alike ... the list runs very long

badguy2000

Respected Member
Only to add a few tips

1) In many "advanced" countries capital punishment has been abolished (I wish someday China would do the same)

2) In China producing/trafficking/selling heroine >500g is subj to death penalty

3) Many embezzling officials were sentenced to death. The highest ranking was a vice Chairman of CPC (China People's Congress = Indian Parliament) or Governor of Jiangxi Province alike ... the list runs very long
capital punishment should never been abolished in CHina.......

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How is sentencing people to be executed a State Secret.

If a person has broken the law of the land and the law permits death and the Judge sentences him so, what is the big deal about it to be a State Secret?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
so what?

different culture and traditon cause different view of executing....

BTW,

if my memory is not wrong ,the captured killer durng Bombay gunmen assaulting accident still lives a happy life in one Indian prison ,after he killed dozns of innocent victims,doesn't he?
I am sure that the accemplice of the capture killer must be encouraged by india wonderful legal system.

And, one UK drugs smuggler was executed in CHina just for he smuggled several kilos of drugs into CHina....... I am sure that foreigner drug smugglers will rethink more before they fly to CHina.
What a pathetic come back! Curry and execution? Thats swell coming from the Cockroach fan and Connoisseur of the gutter... What did you have for breakfast worm soup with fetus? Lol!!!

Is it your culture to kill people who disagree or have rival political ideologies? If that shit worked it should have stoped people from committing crimes yet year upon year thousands go to the Gallows!

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Evil person needs to be executed.

Our system is too lenient on murderers and rapists but that is because judge is never entirely certain that person is guilty because police does a shit job at presenting proof.

no smoking

Country flag
How is sentencing people to be executed a State Secret.

If a person has broken the law of the land and the law permits death and the Judge sentences him so, what is the big deal about it to be a State Secret?
As I know the sentence of death penalty was never a secret. The relatives of criminal know it. The people who was interested in the case knows it if they spent some time watching the trial.

The only difference is that the newspaper would not talk about it in most of cases because that would open the wound of the families of both sides again.

RedDragon

Only to add a few tips

In China women and children trafficking can also be sentenced to death.
http://finance.ifeng.com/roll/20100901/2574648.shtml
Two criminals were executed for women and children trafficking

RedDragon

I remember when I was a college student, in one class to train debate with English, the English teacher (Who is an American) choose a topic about "death penalty", every student in the classroom support there are death penalty for some really bad person, like murder. So the teacher has to change another subject.

redragon

Country flag
I remember when I was a college student, in one class to train debate with English, the English teacher (Who is an American) choose a topic about "death penalty", every student in the classroom support there are death penalty for some really bad person, like murder. So the teacher has to change another subject.
Your teacher sounds like a JY who is living in Ivory Towers for too long

pmaitra

So would that imply that indoctrination in PRC starts at an early age?

nimo_cn

Country flag
"杀人偿命, 欠债还钱" an old Chinese saying, a murderer must repay with his life just like a borrower with money.

Being merciful to those who have committed misdeed equals being cruel to the victims.

redragon

Country flag
So would that imply that indoctrination in PRC starts at an early age?
As pointed out by several Chinese member, this point of view is a Chinese tradition, it is part of Chinese culture way ealier than the establishment of PRC.
And in that particular story, the teacher actually was trying to challenge that traditional way of thinking, not trying to indoctrinate it.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Do you really think murder like the person who shot hundreds of people in Mumbai not deserve a death penalty?
Of course. What exactly is your point? Are you implying that everyone in PRC who is executed has committed murder to a degree like the one in the Mumbai attacks? Gimme a break dude.

pmaitra

As pointed out by several Chinese member, this point of view is a Chinese tradition, it is part of Chinese culture way ealier than the establishment of PRC.
And in that particular story, the teacher actually was trying to challenge that traditional way of thinking, not trying to indoctrinate it.
Never inclined that the teacher was trying to indoctrinate anyone. The children must have been indoctrinated since an early age by other teachers, as a consequence of which, when that English teacher questioned regarding death penalty, the idea was unanimously supported.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles