China envoy to journos: 'shut up' on Arunachal

Galaxy

Country flag
[h=1]China envoy to journos: 'shut up' on Arunachal[/h]
New Delhi: Chinese Ambassador to India on Thursday told journalists to 'shut up' when questioned about map showing Ladakh and Arunachal as part of China.

Chinese Ambassador was attending an event in Delhi where a Chinese company's brochure showed Arunachal and Ladakh as part of China.

The Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs who was present at the event had already raised the issue with the Ambassador.

The incident just happened suddenly at an event in New Delhi involving a delegation from Sichiang, which was being shepherded by the Chinese ambassador. A brochure given by a Chinese company, which is involved in some projects in India, showed a map of Ladakh and Arunachal as a part of China.

When a journalist from Outlook Business asked the ambassador for his reaction on that, he was asked to shut up. So, there were some raised voices in the process, and the Joint Secretary, China also intervened.

The matter was apparently sorted out, but it's not clear if the Chinese ambassador apologised for his remark.

But it's pretty clear that since the map also involved a China's stated position, it's unlikely that the ambassador would have gone back on that either.

China envoy to journos: 'shut up' on Arunachal - India News - IBNLive

Galaxy

Country flag
I think he forgot that India is democratic country with free media and not communist China with state sponsored media. :lol:

niharjhatn

Heh, if you are called out wrong, on an absolutely indefensible claim, can launch no counter arguments of your own, and lack the wit for any lyricism, a child like "shut up" is probably the way to go!

I am surprised he just said shut up!

LOL he probably forgot that the state don't control the media over here :lol:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The Chinese Ambassador to India is not a diplomat, that is the issue. Should GOI ask China that he be recalled?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ No such knee jerk measures. We should just keep greeting more and more Chinese diplomats/officials/bureaucrats with maps that cause discomfiture to them. :namaste:

JayATL

I often compare things to how americans would react because that is my only source being one myself.

I for the love of me cannot understand how you have indian high level politicans attending any freaking event that shows such a map, let alone one that is held within india's boundaries. The americans would make such a huge issue about it and ask for that politican to resign because of the disrespect shown to the country. they would shame the event panners and lord help it - if they knew about it before hand.

To put it indian terms" arre chuteya sharam nahi heh? apan vatan ka izzat nahi heh? ( don't make fun of my US-Hindish :p )

kickok1975

If he indeed said "Shut up", that's very unprofessional under that kind of circumstance. Maybe he is trying to prevent embarrassment with Indian minister.

JayATL

If he indeed said "Shut up", that's very unprofessional under that kind of circumstance. Maybe he is trying to prevent embarrassment with Indian minister.
the embrassment is not the shut up, rather that such a map was even printed and hand out within india. china hands out staple visas and I'm confident that no way in hell would an Indian event within china be allowed and be attended by chinese high level officials with map showing aksia chin as India's..

mahesh

Country flag
rather he would have said no comments, or would have said he haven't heard anything about it,

"shut up" is not the right choice of word to use with the media , and that to with indian media

Pintu

Distorted map: Chinese ambassador tells Indian journalist to shut up - The Times of India

Distorted map: Chinese ambassador tells Indian journalist to shut up
Sameer Arshad, TNN | Nov 3, 2011, 06.40PM IST

NEW DELHI: A distorted Indian map showing parts of India in China and Pakistan led to an argument between Chinese Ambassador to India Zhang Yan and a journalist on the sidelines of a business session with Xinjiang governor at a New Delhi hotel on Thursday.

Zhang asked the journalist to "shut up" as he repeatedly questioned him about the map on the cover of a Chinese firm's brochure that showed Arunachal Pradesh, Ladakh as part of China and Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) as that of Pakistan . The heavy equipment manufacturing firm signed a $ 400 million business deal with the Gujarat government earlier in the day.

"This is not China...it is India. We have full freedom here. How can you ask a journalist to shut up, if he is asking you something,'' the journalist told Zhang.

The ambassador said the journalist "pushed, pushed, pushed" and that he repeatedly told him that it was a technical issue that would be sorted out. "We will handle this. We are working for friendlier ties with India...this will not help,'' said Zhang. "...we are handling this in a friendly way." Zhang said he raised the issue with the company. "So what can I do for you?"

The journalist said he just asked the ambassador for his comments and that he had no business to be agitated. The two were later seen shaking hands, as Chinese officials tried damage control with one of them asking the journalist "to sort this out in a friendly way".

Ministry of external affairs joint secretary Gautam Bambawale, who was present at the meet, said he drew Zhang's attention towards the map and that he accepted that it was wrong. "It is a private sector company (that has goofed up) and not the Chinese government."

Officials down played the issue; saying even Indian companies have made similar mistakes in the past and that it did not reflect Beijing's official position.

China, India's largest trading partner, claims sovereignty over parts of Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh and calls it southern Tibet. It refuses to recognize the "imperialist" 1913 Shimla Convention under which Tibet ceded Tawang to India and regards its border with India -- the McMahon line -- as disputed.

The two countries have sparred over high-profile visits to Arunachal Pradesh asserting India's sovereignty over the region while New Delhi recently expressed its displeasure over Beijing's infrastructural projects and overall presence in PoK. Beijing has been issuing stapled visas to Kashmiris as part of its refusal to accept India sovereignty over Jammu & Kashmir.

SPIEZ

Country flag
I often compare things to how americans would react because that is my only source being one myself.

I for the love of me cannot understand how you have indian high level politicans attending any freaking event that shows such a map, let alone one that is held within india's boundaries. The americans would make such a huge issue about it and ask for that politican to resign because of the disrespect shown to the country. they would shame the event panners and lord help it - if they knew about it before hand.

To put it indian terms" arre chuteya sharam nahi heh? apan vatan ka izzat nahi heh? ( don't make fun of my US-Hindish :p )
When there are such large difference of opinions within Indians whether they are in India or they aren't, what do you expect from the Indian diplomats or Indian minister present ?

I salute the media on this! Hope this issue comes to the fore-front, and shows that a co-ordinated mindset is required in dealing with nationalistic issues!

Even that product, or anything related to that product should be banned in India.

JayATL

Ministry of external affairs joint secretary Gautam Bambawale, who was present at the meet, said he drew Zhang's attention towards the map and that he accepted that it was wrong. "It is a private sector company (that has goofed up) and not the Chinese government."
Then get that private sector kicked out of India too- but these indian politicans need to have some patriot self respect for india and should have walked out! . Chinese govt did not hesitate to kick the Indian general ( metaphorically speaking) from entering China with a non stapled visa...

SPIEZ

Country flag
Distorted map: Chinese ambassador tells Indian journalist to shut up - The Times of India

Zhang asked the journalist to "shut up" as he repeatedly questioned him about the map on the cover of a Chinese firm's brochure that showed Arunachal Pradesh, Ladakh as part of China and Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) as that of Pakistan . The heavy equipment manufacturing firm signed a $ 400 million business deal with the Gujarat government earlier in the day.

Seriously this makes me wanna puke. What insolence, That product should be banned in India immediately, the shinning state Gujarat should waste no time in banning it.

What happen to our sense of nationality. Here is something for Modi to look at, if he want's to make a claim at the center.

JayATL

When there are such large difference of opinions within Indians whether they are in India or they aren't, what do you expect from the Indian diplomats or Indian minister present ?

I salute the media on this! Hope this issue comes to the fore-front, and shows that a co-ordinated mindset is required in dealing with nationalistic issues!

Even that product, or anything related to that product should be banned in India.
half of the US does not agree with the other half. This disagreement of life topics and politics is in every country.

I know why this happens in India- people are going to get angry at me for saying it. It is because there is no sense of national identity, dignity and demand for self respect among indians. Yeah Yeah you can be all patriotic and all on forums and in discussions about war blah blah. But then go with the flow even when being kicked and treated like shzit by others. thats why indians when they get into trouble in other countries, those countries don't hop and say how high as they do to americans, when their citizens are in need of help .

Indians are looked up as " they will get over it" commodity.... and I sincerely hope that you guys( new gen) change this attitude going forward. One India and demand that respect..especially since you weild economic might now. Get mad and demand that you be treated with dignity and respect.

how do change this attitude? you younger gen in India must be activist of sorts... call up times of india or your media outlets and ask them to have a diuscussion around this topic and politicans who continued to linger at the event. Somebody has to start it...why not you ( as in all of you here)?

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
^^ seriously dude, I thought you were posting Shizz for so long. Now I come to know what you mean.

You are wrong when you said every Indian are anti-national. Asaik most are die-hard Indians, a lot of these issues crop up because of expanding business and cut-throat business.

It's not the Babu's and the neta's that alone should wake up, it's the private sector too which needs to own up!

JayATL

Seriously this makes me wanna puke. What insolence, That product should be banned in India immediately, the shinning state Gujarat should waste no time in banning it.

What happen to our sense of nationality. Here is something for Modi to look at, if he want's to make a claim at the center.
I know I said the company should be kicked out, earlier and I'm back tracking on it now. because there jobs for indians here to gain. But the company should be made to grovel, apologize and the indian official should be shamed and demanded to answer why he did not walk out!

Falcon

This is no issue. They never face journalists in China and when they face one, they get confused as what to answer. So the best thing they can use is "SHUT UP"...........They think that opposite party will actually shut up as they do in CHINA. He later realized that he is in India and he will was allll confused. We should not take it seriously. You guyz never say anything when Pakistan thinks that whole world is theirs..They are all assholes.

SPIEZ

Country flag
This is no issue. They never face journalists in China and when they face one, they get confused as what to answer. So the best thing they can use is "SHUT UP"...........They think that opposite party will actually shut up as they do in CHINA. He later realized that he is in India and he will was allll confused. We should not take it seriously. You guyz never say anything when Pakistan thinks that whole world is theirs..They are all assholes.
Atleast they have a sense of nationalism or religion-ism! Would that be possible in India?

@ Jay : If not China, than USA or KOREA or JAPAN. There is no need to back-track.

JayATL

^^ seriously dude, I thought you were posting Shizz for so long. Now I come to know what you mean.

You are wrong when you said every Indian are anti-national. Asaik most are die-hard Indians, a lot of these issues crop up because of expanding business and cut-throat business.

It's not the Babu's and the neta's that alone should wake up, it's the private sector too which needs to own up!
nothing that I post is anti indian if one has to read it in context. It's all about getting India out of the " chalte heh" attitude. not accepting status quo and this irratating thing of what can we do - our netas blah bah. Country does not make its people, its people make the country. The country of United States does not make it people follow traffic laws , its - its people that respect it ala their trait. You are the 99% and they( netas) are the 1%.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
All jingoistic, sentimental and emotional comments:

First of all, it has been brought out that it was a company brochure and not Govt of China brochure.

Secondly, what is expected out of a Chinese company? To publish Indian version of the Map so that the company is disbanded and owner sent to Siberia ( with Russian assistance !).

Thirdly, there has to be limit up to which an issue has be allowed to be so deeply rooted at public level. That is one of the basic problems of India and China. That, India is aggressor and still holding Chinese territory, this the Communist Party(CCP) in China has allowed to be so deeply rooted amongst masses that it is difficult for any govt to negotiate on the issue. Same is the case of Political Parties in India. Can any govt indulge in give and take on Sino India boundary issue. The political leader will wet his pants before contemplating that.

It is good that the map was pointed out. Chinese ambassador is not Indian politician so he told generalist to shut up. It is also good that the generalist did not.

That is the end or one wants to arrest the ambassador. Let us to war on this issue !! Ha

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles