China defense industry faces homemade engine troubles

cw2005

When you can buy something cheaper and better, why won't you do so. That is the policy of China right now. What they call "two legs to walk". That is to develop its own engine industries but at the same time buying cheaper and more reliable ones from whatever source available. In fact, if the West willing to sell their engines, China would buy from them also. As for the WS10 engine. I thought that is the first high power WS engine in China and it serve the purpose of learning. China would not use this engine for Single Engine fighter such as J10 untill the engine getting mature. J11 and J15 is another matter as the Russian would not agree for China to use Russian engine on them.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
All recent pictures of J11B show the aircraft is powered by WS10A, it 's a fact even acknowledged by jane's.

BTW, the conflict between China and India has little to do with China being an 'autocratic' state. It is a conflict between nation's interests, it has mostly to do with race, culture, shortage of resources, as well as India's obsession with everything chinese or east asian rather.

I don't support the chinese government, I support the great east asian race. I also believe that Indians are potential competitors to us east asians.
Ya showing an forum thread with couple of pics cuts it right? Then what are 930 Russian engines doing in CHina? Is it used as table fan?

You please dont talk of why India and CHina dont like each other, it is totally, utterly and completely because of the Communist ideology and India houseing Dalia Lama. Other wise Indians and Chinese have nothing in common to hate each other. There is no hate at all in India against Chinese people, In our 5,000 year History India and China had more cultural and trade exchange than with anyother country, be it through traditions or religions and ideologies. Go read History.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ya showing an forum thread with couple of pics cuts it right? Then what are 930 Russian engines doing in CHina? Is it used as table fan?

You please dont talk of why India and CHina dont like each other, it is totally, utterly and completely because of the Communist ideology and India houseing Dalia Lama. Other wise Indians and Chinese have nothing in common to hate each other. There is no hate at all in India against Chinese people, In our 5,000 year History India and China had more cultural and trade exchange than with anyother country, be it through traditions or religions and ideologies. Go read History.
I don't know why you got the figure of 930 AL-31 engines from. But its possibly true since China operates like 170 Su27/30, directly purchased from Russia, and around 100 J11B, all of which use Russian supplied AL-31F, and they all need replacement engine someday. Besides, it is a well known fact that China has bought several batches of AL-31FN totaling around 500 engines, for the J10. That's a lot of engines. There is no question that currently China's ability to produce WS10A is limited, thus only J11Bs and J15 get to use those engines. Nevertheless it's a sign that china's aviation engine industry has come a long way.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I don't know why you got the figure of 930 AL-31 engines from. But its possibly true since China operates like 170 Su27/30, directly purchased from Russia, and around 100 J11B, all of which use Russian supplied AL-31F, and they all need replacement engine someday. Besides, it is a well known fact that China has bought several batches of AL-31FN totaling around 500 engines, for the J10. That's a lot of engines. There is no question that currently China's ability to produce WS10A is limited, thus only J11Bs and J15 get to use those engines. Nevertheless it's a sign that china's aviation engine industry has come a long way.
The Discussion is about the fighter engine not about aviation as a whole. China is still buying AL-31s for its J-10s and J-11s, thats a fact that no one can deny. The WS-10 is a failure as of now.

redragon

Country flag
The Discussion is about the fighter engine not about aviation as a whole. China is still buying AL-31s for its J-10s and J-11s, thats a fact that no one can deny. The WS-10 is a failure as of now.
This comment shows that I was right on by saying chinese members are wasting time Although Chinese members provided proofs that WS-10 is operational and has been deployed with J-11BS and used for testing a new fighter:J-15 which is a clear evidence that PLA trust the WS-10 and think it's good enough even to take a tough task like flying a testing fighter, I believe by any other countries standard, this means WS-10 is a big success, especially considering this great job has been accomplished by China which has no airplane engines developing experience at all, However all of these means nothing to Indian members, I think Indian may have different standard, for example Kaveri is a huge success under this unique standard.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles