China defence budget 10 pct rise to defy slowing economy

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
No you just don't seem to be getting it. 1 RMB is not equal to one rupee. It is in no way comparable . Giving a crude example in Beijing a bus ticket can cost 2 CNY in Delhi a ticket costs Rs 15 for the same 10km route .
Also china has 2.4+ million armed forces personnel .
At 2.3 million armed force personnel, average spending per personnel becomes roughly 1/8 of indian spending. i am pretty sure based on numbeo.com data, average chinese cost of living is not 1/8 th of our cost of living.

But anyways , i will let it go here.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
1. 052D is a 6000 tons class vessel.. it seems you have some problem reading the numbers...

39 billion INR vs 3.5-4 billion RMB or 870 million(year 2011 rate) $ vs 550-650 million $

----------------

the rest around 900 thousaunds strength includes:

garrison force (e.g. border forces)
Second Artillery Force(Strategic Missile Force)
all ranks of Headquarters ,command authority
military academies/institutes
The army factory
military hospital
etc...

but para military is NOT included
yup, my bad.
got it.thanks

karn

Country flag
At 2.3 million armed force personnel, average spending per personnel becomes roughly 1/8 of indian spending. i am pretty sure based on numbeo.com data, average chinese cost of living is not 1/8 th of our cost of living.

But anyways , i will let it go here.
How can you not understand this .. National currencies do not scale the same way . 1 RMB =Rs10 so china spends roughly Rs 3 trillion in salaries. Threre is a reason everything is compared in USD because most people understand a how much is the worth of a dollar.

shiphone

Country flag
@shiphone Any idea of R&D spending on defense, i know they are secretive but looking at the visible no. of programmes it could be more than your defense budget, making it par with US defense spending considering you get your jobs done cheaper than Americans.
1. the constitution of the total and real American defense spending is very complicated or tricky, so is the China's and some other nations...

2. how should I answer the question? emmmm..... maybe in this way--- I noticed that DRDO's budget was included in Indian defence budget, so most of the R&D cost of defence projects and even personal spending of the R & D personnel should be the part of Indian defence spending... but in China's case, the situation is not so...at least most of R & D personnel are employed by the defence industry , and PLA only funds those chosen projects (with signed contract) from the own share of the Equipment procurement cost(around the 1/3 of the total defence budget) ...on the other hand , the defence industry sometimes would or had to use self-collected funds as the part (or all) of the R&D cost. if the project succeeds and final defence product is listed in the PLA Equipment Procurement Catalog with confirmed order, the R&D team would recover the R&D cost via higher charge of purchase contract...another situation is the central government would set up some national military science and tech R&D projects and funds them within national Special funds of science and technology Catalog. so .....

you are right
it could be more than your defense budget
3. but even so , I won't agree with you on "making it par with US defense spending considering you get your jobs done cheaper than Americans."....we are far behind and in the considerable long time, China won't even dream of reaching the hight of USA stands today...the American Defence industry was supported and funded by all over the world but it is deserved due to the military tech developed by them. their Defence industry is in a great virtuous circle which is very enviable, it's a result of the decades of investment and hardworking...if anyone want to beat them , you should work harder and it takes time and a little of luck...
the overwhelming Defence spending and technological superiority are the key foundation stone of the only superpower and dollar hegemony...American would go for this leading position at any cost...

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles