China: Between Myth and Reality

no smoking

Country flag
It appears that modern Chinese on foreign websites make it appear like a fashion statement that they hate/dislike/criticise the CCP!!!!

Have you done so in China?

Try it and you will be locked up in what they so sweetly call - reeducation centres i.e. jail or sent to do some hard labour in a farm or in a mine so that your fundamentals become clear of never criticising the CCP. It will be tough for you and you will not have the luxury of Liu Xiaobo of being only under 'house arrest' since you are no one and the US and the international community will not back.

Obviously, democracy appears weird to you. As weird as the food that the Indian complained of food in China because he was not used to eating snakes and insects.

It would not be weird to me, even though I am an Indian, because I have tasted it.

Hence, to a regimented and indoctrinated mind and psychology, fresh air is stifling!!
Oh, Ray, you forget that most of chineses appearing in this forum are or were living in US, Europe, Australia. So most of us have tested democracy. We know bad and good of both systems. And you, my friend, are the one need some fresh opinions.

And you get a fundermental fact wrong again, Ray. It is a really bad habit to make assumption before you know sth. On Chinese domestic website, crisizing CCP or government IS a fashion. On the contrary, on foreign websites, defending CCP's policy is a fashion for overseas Chinese, just like me or other chinese in this forum. Please check your fact before making a statement.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Well if one is worried about everything one does and controls his sense of adventure, he will remain that much ignorant is what I feel.

I have had street food in countries that I have visited, including some 'exotic' food.

In fact, I like to interact with the population and try to understand their way of life rather than do the usual tourist things of 'Been there, done that'.

But then, everyone to his own ways.
I was laid up in bed my second week in Gaungzhou from eating fried chicken feet. I should have known not to go when there was no line. Only street vendor food I eat are these shrimp noodle bowl and fried squid stands around the corner. Long lines and good food. Watch the lines is my only advise. Not saying don't try it.

amoy

I was laid up in bed my second week in Gaungzhou from eating fried chicken feet.
A Chinese expression / theory for this is "not in harmony with the water and soil" resulting in disorders. Natives may be immune.

When living in Chengdu Sichuan I had a loose bowels (diarrhea?) almost everyday - after eating my favourite spicy foods. Upon arriving in Guangdong I got nosebleeding

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
A Chinese expression / theory for this is "not in harmony with the water and soil" resulting in disorders. Natives may be immune.

When living in Chengdu Sichuan I had a loose bowels (diarrhea?) almost everyday - after eating my favourite spicy foods. Upon arriving in Guangdong I got nosebleeding
I don't know whats worse, the bad air or the bad food. At least I know where I can eat and not make me sick. I eat most lunches at a cafeteria called Juju I think, all you can pile on your plate for 9 quai. The line is so long it takes 20 minutes to get through and another 10 to find a seat. The place is so packed it really is a firehazard. At least you know the food is safe seeing that many people eat it.

TrueSpirit

ya everything. Cantonese are well known for eating lots of ... beyond imagination. I can testify to that becoz I lived among them for years. That's one of many reasons many Chinese make fun of Cantonese all the time. Snake is very delicious, and I even tried a bit of hedgeshrew (rats), and silkworm chrysalis.

Do in Rome as the Romans do.

Badguy, many Chinese have wild (often negative) 'fantasies" abt India/Indians. But mocking them gives no comfort to yourself. There're lots of horrible scenes in China too, like extreme poverty in some remote / mountainous villages of minorities like in Guizhou, or Yunnan - such as drunkards lying on the road, not only materially devastated, but also more importantly, spiritually desperate.

Myth and reality - divided as it is
As a matter of fact, of the dozen or so countries, that our group had to visit in the last few years (while scouting potential bases for developing new IT Service Delivery Centers), China is unanimously believed to be the most abhorrent/inhabitable spot. Business-friendly, as some people might tend to see it, the sort of impression it has created in everyone's mind is nothing short of a Nightmare.

It's not just the filth & putrefied shit they relish, the environs are so suffocatingly artificial & literally obnoxious without a soul ( you would understand what I am implying, if you have been to other destinations ). On the contrary, few SE Asia destinations that received favorable feedback from our team were : Indonesia, Vietnam & of course Singapore. Rather than culinary habits, I guess it has more to do with people's attitude, receptiveness to learning/ideas, environs etc.

Comments are welcome......

amoy

Rather than culinary habits, I guess it has more to do with people's attitude, receptiveness to learning/ideas, environs etc.
of course u're entitled to your ideas... that's why I'm here to learn...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles