China becomes the world's third largest arms exporter

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China becomes the world's third largest arms exporter

China's exports of weapons surged by 143% in the five years to 2014 compared to the previous five years

China has become the world's third largest exporter of arms after the US and Russia, according to a new report.

China overtook Germany, France and the UK in exporting weapons between 2010 and 2014, said the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).

China now accounts for about 5% of the world's exports of arms.

Three Asian countries, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmar, accounted for more than two-thirds of those exports.

The world's second largest economy also had 18 African nations as clients during the five year period, according to the study, which said the data reflected the volume of arms deliveries and not the financial value of the deals.

China exports jump
China's exports of major arms rose by 143% in the five years to 2014 from the previous five years.

Meanwhile, Germany's arms exports fell by 43%, while France's dropped 27% in the same time frame.

Overall, that compares to a 16% increase in the volume of arms transferred around the world.

However, despite China's big jump in the global rankings, there is still a sizeable gap between the volume of its exports and those of the top two exporters the US and Russia.

The US accounted for 31% of the world's weapons exports, while Russia sold 27%. Exports from those two countries rose 23% and 37% respectively in the time period.

SIPRI compares arms sales over five year periods because of large fluctuations in the volumes of arms traded year on year.
BBC News - China becomes the world's third largest arms exporter
China is a peace loving nation.

It abhors wars, conflicts, insurgency anywhere in the world and will do everything to ensure peace and harmony.

This article indicates its love for peace and harmony around the world.

Peace and harmony spoken out of the mouth, but supply weapons and so be its usual duplicitous, double speaking Janus self.

That is Chinese mentality for you.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Colombia detains Cuba-bound Chinese ship carrying arms

The cargo vessel was stopped on Saturday in the Colombian port of Cartagena

Colombian officials have detained the captain of a Chinese ship bound for Cuba for illegally carrying explosives and other arms.

The ship was stopped over the weekend in the Caribbean port of Cartagena, the attorney general's office said.

About 100 tonnes of gunpowder, almost three million detonators and some 3,000 cannon shells were found on board the Da Dan Xia, officials said.

But according to the ship's records, it was carrying grain products.

No match
"The documentation that the captain had in regards to the merchandise that was being transported did not correspond to what we found," said Luis Gonzalez, national director of the Colombian attorney general's office.

Colombian officials found boxes of weapons aboard the Chinese cargo ship, Da Dan Xia

Wu Hong, the Chinese captain, would be charged with weapons trafficking, he added.

Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said the captain had not violated any international rules.

"It is completely normal military trade co-operation," she said.

Ms Hua said China was "communicating with the parties on this matter".

The Da Dan Xia is operated by China's largest shipping company, Cosco Shipping.

It was impounded and searched for 48 hours before the order to arrest the captain was given.

Colombian media reported that the ship was also carrying pipes used in mining and had stopped in Cartagena to unload them.

According to the reports, counter-narcotics police searched it after they had received a tip-off about the munitions on board.

The ship was due to make another stop in the Colombian port of Barranquilla before sailing on to Cuba, its itinerary suggested.

The Cuban authorities have not yet commented.

The incident comes almost two years after a North Korean crew was detained in Panama for illegally transporting war material from Cuba to North Korea through the Panama canal.

Most of the crew and the ship were allowed to return to North Korea six months later after its owners agreed to pay a fine.

The ship's captain, the first officer and the political officer were later absolved of a charge of endangering public security.
BBC News - Colombia detains Cuba-bound Chinese ship carrying arms
Another example of our peace loving Chinaman and China.

This a true Chinaman as per Cricket parlance.

Now await, the devious example of justification of our Chinese posters, if indeed they are courageous enough to tread.
@nimo_cn, @t_co, @RedDragon

Last edited by a moderator:

nimo_cn

Country flag
I wasn't going to comment on this one, but hey I am summoned.

India is the largest arm importer on the planet, what does that make India?

Another interesting thing I want to point out is that the majority of Chinese arm export goes to India's old enemy Pakistan. if it wasn't that India constantly threatens Pakistan with it's newly imported weapons, I doubt Pakistan would have bought that amount of weapons from China. In this regard, India being the largest arm importer is the main reason of China climbing to the third largest arm exporter.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wasn't going to comment on this one, but hey I am summoned.

Another interesting thing I want to point out is that the majority of Chinese arm export goes to India's old enemy Pakistan. if it wasn't that India constantly threatens Pakistan with it's newly imported weapons, I doubt Pakistan would have bought that amount of weapons from China. In this regard, India being the largest arm importer is the main reason of China climbing to the third largest arm exporter.

We have the money, Pakistan requires freebies from China and the US.

India threatens Pakistan?

Sweetheart, every war with Pakistan has been started and generated by Pakistan. Do you read history or is it the Commie Party that asks you to act dumb?

How is India's buying weapon correlated with China being the third largest exporter of weapons to make the world an unsafe place and yet speaking from the other side of the mouth that it is peace loving and will do nothing to make the world a violent space?

Lady, you are a Janus too.

Last edited:
Country flag
Chinese have recognized a huge niche in defense and started filling it now
Their focus is on grabbing market share .

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
China becomes the world's third largest arms exporter................and pakistan becomes its largest dumping ground i.e importer! :)

amoy

All top arms exporters - America, China Germany, France, Sweden, Israel and the UK - owe big thanks to importers.

Thank u for fueling our military R&D and job creation :namaste:

Who're the biggest patrons then?

1. Saudi Arabia
2. India ...

Lovely. Thank u! Keep it up!

nimo_cn

Country flag
We have the money, Pakistan requires freebies from China and the US.

India threatens Pakistan?

Sweetheart, every war with Pakistan has been started and generated by Pakistan. Do you read history or is it the Commie Party that asks you to act dumb?

How is India's buying weapon correlated with China being the third largest exporter of weapons to make the world an unsafe place and yet speaking from the other side of the mouth that it is peace loving and will do nothing to make the world a violent space?

Lady, you are a Janus too.
One palm can not clap, it's only Pakistan's fault that you two had several wars? Nice try!

India's crazy military expansion through procurement of advanced western weapons create imbalance in the region. In order to reverse that trend, your neighbors have to import Chinese weapons, that is why I said India contributes to China being the third largest arm exporter.

India, being the largest arm importer, is in no position to lecture others on what is good for world peace.

t_co

Si vis pacem, para bellum. China is simply helping peace-loving nations in the world find peace.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One palm can not clap, it's only Pakistan's fault that you two had several wars? Nice try!

India's crazy military expansion through procurement of advanced western weapons create imbalance in the region. In order to reverse that trend, your neighbors have to import Chinese weapons, that is why I said India contributes to China being the third largest arm exporter.

India, being the largest arm importer, is in no position to lecture others on what is good for world peace.

One palm is adequate to start the clapping.

India buys and Pakistan gets gratis.

I think you talk without your thinking cap on and without knowing a sausage about historical issues.

Check who started after Independence, in 1965 (check Pak document), 1971 (shoving a whole lot of refugee; maybe the recent Myanmar action and Chinese reaction with be a very small example of what can get huge), Kargil requires no elaboration.

Quit being disingenuous.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. China is simply helping peace-loving nations in the world find peace.
By supplying weapons.

salute

because india didnt have military industrial complex yet and india is trying to build one,that why the imports

now why the weapons imports the reasons are these,

paki started war with india 4 times and last time deployed in kargil war paki deployed nuclear weapons, sponsoring terrorism and training terrorist and proxy war against india,

your communist china started war with india 1962 and also even today china claiming arunachal pradesh and your army constantly crossing indias border, arming and funding naxalites in tribal areas of india,
@amoy @t_co
are you guys dumb ??? like paki are madarassa educated you chinese are communist party propaganda educated. :laugh:

no smoking

Country flag
China is a peace loving nation.

It abhors wars, conflicts, insurgency anywhere in the world and will do everything to ensure peace and harmony.

This article indicates its love for peace and harmony around the world.

Peace and harmony spoken out of the mouth, but supply weapons and so be its usual duplicitous, double speaking Janus self.

That is Chinese mentality for you.
When we got countries like India is eager to import huge amount of "peace love" from all over the world, it won't be surprise that countries like USA, Russia and China are delighted to satisfied such kind of demand.

pmaitra

How did PRC become the third largest arms exporter?

Emphasis is on the word "how."

amoy

because india didnt have military industrial complex yet and india is trying to build one,that why the imports

now why the weapons imports the reasons are these,

paki started war with india 4 times and last time deployed in kargil war paki deployed nuclear weapons, sponsoring terrorism and training terrorist and proxy war against india,

your communist china started war with india 1962 and also even today china claiming arunachal pradesh and your army constantly crossing indias border, arming and funding naxalites in tribal areas of india,
@amoy @t_co
are you guys dumb ??? like paki are madarassa educated you chinese are communist party propaganda educated. :laugh:
why did u repeat so much platitude of ??

yes like said all those advanced countries in the exporter club shall say thank~you to those buyers India and Saudi alike.

pls keep on feeding $$$ to us for the world economy recovery. BTW apart from hardware exports there're a lot of tech transfer to upgrade u. so won't u express a bit gratitude to the exporter league?

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When we got countries like India is eager to import huge amount of "peace love" from all over the world, it won't be surprise that countries like USA, Russia and China are delighted to satisfied such kind of demand.
I am sure all are delighted.

t_co

How did PRC become the third largest arms exporter?

Emphasis is on the word "how."
Through a dedicated sales effort, flexible payment terms, favorable market conditions (an increasing amount of price-conscious and nervous consumers), manufacturing scale, and an open-source R&D ecosystem?

pmaitra

Through a dedicated sales effort, flexible payment terms, favorable market conditions (an increasing amount of price-conscious and nervous consumers), manufacturing scale, and an open-source R&D ecosystem?
Do the PLA, PLAAN, PLAAF, etc., constantly complain about domestically made products? There might not be a tendency to go for imports, considering sanctions, and I feel that has worked as a blessing in disguise, forcing PRC to develop weapons production techniques without foreign help. The only foreign help appears to be from Russia.

shiphone

Country flag
the difference between the '5th-8th place' in some report and so called 'the 3rd' from some other source is due to the different "statistical methods and dimensions"

1. some source only counts those Defense deals reported to the UN for trading record. I'm afraid some China export deal wasn't or won't be reported and recorded.
2. as it said in that BBC report, the statistics in this report is for this 5-year period(2009-2014) ... just during this period some important and sensitive export contracts were executed. one of them or the biggest one happened in 2013 worth billions of dollars(as I know, an Arms export trading company recorded a n all-time high Revenue- 5 billion dollars in that year)...

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What's bad if China is the third largest exporter?

There is no morality quotient to selling arms, is there?

It is all a question of Money.

And anyway, it proves a point.

Chinese goods are shoddy, but not their military goods!

nimo_cn

Country flag
One palm is adequate to start the clapping.

India buys and Pakistan gets gratis.

I think you talk without your thinking cap on and without knowing a sausage about historical issues.

Check who started after Independence, in 1965 (check Pak document), 1971 (shoving a whole lot of refugee; maybe the recent Myanmar action and Chinese reaction with be a very small example of what can get huge), Kargil requires no elaboration.

Quit being disingenuous.

By supplying weapons.
No need to teach me about history between India and Pakistan, India is not as innocent as you portrayed. India's ambition over the whole region of south asia has been adequately demonstrated by invasion of kashmir, annexation of sikkim, meddling in sri lanka, etc.

India is free to import weapons, China is free to export weapons. being the largest arm importer doesnt make you superior to the third largest arm exporter.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles