'China bashing' in the Indian media

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009

By Amit Baruah
Editor, BBC Hindi

It's the silly season in India-China relations. If you've tuned into one of the more hawkish Indian television channels or are reading the views of the many experts on India and China, it might seem like the two countries are at each other's throats.
There has been a spate of denials from the Indian foreign ministry, the border guards and even the Indian air force. All insist that there have been no clashes and no violations of Indian air space.
"A media report about two ITBP [Indo-Tibetan Border Police] jawans [soldiers] having been injured due to firing from across the Line of Actual Control has come to notice. It is factually incorrect," the Indian foreign ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.
And here is what the Chinese foreign ministry spokesman had to say about the same incident: "I have not heard of the scenario you mentioned... I have noticed, however, that Indian media has been releasing some groundless information recently. I wonder what their intention is."
'Without pause'
But China's concerns about accuracy do not seem to bother a large chunk of the Indian media, which is engaged in a rather serious bout of "China-bashing" these days.
Such China "stories" continue without pause.
Facts do not seem to matter as some Indian media organisations believe that this is the best way to grab a larger market share.
"Nothing has changed on the ground between the two countries," a senior Indian official, who preferred anonymity, told the BBC.

"I just can't understand the reasons for this hysteria," the official said.
China is India's largest trading partner, with two-way trade volumes crossing $50bn in 2008.
The two countries have been trying to negotiate a solution to their decades-old boundary dispute, a process which shows few signs of reaching fruition anytime soon.
There hasn't been a single fatality in skirmishes along the undefined India-China boundary since 1967, but the memories of the crushing defeat inflicted by the Chinese on India in the 1962 war have not faded from the minds of some Indians.
In a sense, the ghost of 1962 also has not been exorcised from the memories of a certain narrow, but influential, category of retired generals and diplomats, who still harbour ambitions of "giving it back to the Chinese".
Media war
In the last two decades - ever since a path-breaking visit by Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi to Beijing in 1988 - there has been a visible effort on the part of the two governments to try to narrow their differences.
A code was agreed on how patrol parties were to act in case they encountered each other.
These encounters do take place and the two sides have a specified drill in such cases, which appears to have worked well over the years.
But now, the threat to a stable India-China relationship is coming not from the governments, but from sections within the media.
If the largely private Indian media is belligerent about China, a response is beginning to emerge from the Chinese side as well.
"India likes to brag about its sustainable development, but worries that it is being left behind by China. China is seen in India as both a potential threat and a competitor to surpass," the state-run Global Times wrote in June this year.
In essence, a media war, initiated by a few Indian television channels and newspapers, has now been joined from the Chinese side as the Global Times opinion piece indicates.
Briefing editors of national dailies, a senior Indian official suggested that there was no point in the press showing any "hysteria".
Not many journalists, it would appear, want to listen to such suggestions.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | 'China bashing' in the Indian media

Vladimir79

Professional
I never knew Indian free press to be irresponsible in their reporting with all out lies. Some one is lying, either free press or the government. More typically it is the government.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
it is all a story of TRP ratings - (Television Rating Points), higher your ratings, higher the revenue the media network gets to generate. they are all fighting a war for prime time viewer ship against all the entertainment, daily soap, movie channels and in the process getting into senseless sensationalism.

one day the agenda is the arushi murder case and they are at it as if they are the only investigating agency in the country, and they start a trial by media, and even come with a verdict and today well after one and a half years since that murder even the assigned investigating agencies have no clues as to what happened, and who killed the girl. one still recalls this young boy who got kidnapped last year and the usual sensationalist media got into the case, started reporting as if no tomorrow and they backed off only when that kid's parents pleaded to the media to not mislead and let out the investigation process which is only going to help the kidnappers, and bring more harm to the little kid who was kidnapped.

more recently, someone got up one fine morning and thought oh well its going to be the racists attacks in australia that should be made the headlines and be sold, and it gets flashed all over the media, today when china is selling like a hot cake, the same attacks have little to no coverage, for the flavor has changed. just take the case of swine flu, just a few days back it seemed nothing other than swine flu had gripped the country and today there no trace of the news. another day it will be pakistan, then it would be legalising gay sex, and the story will continue.

people are there to sell crap and there are people who are ready to buy the same crap, same is the story of indian news channels and their audience!

indeed we have a free media, but sadly the freedom is grossly misused without any sense of responsibility. i for one wait for the news to appear on ndtv, not to say that they are above rhetoric, bias or from their share of sensationalism but still they are much better off and more reliable than the rest who form the circus called the indian news channels.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
I think the author needs a reality check. If there is no Chinese incursion in Ladkah; why the police commissioner of Leh & Ladakh has written to the state govt of J& K about it? If any particular Indian media channel has reported it than it could well have been termed as 'China bashing' by Indian Media. Many authors are writing these types of crap without even going to the actual place where that incursion has taken place.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Its a case of the government propping the media. There is no doubt about it. There are surely some other motives behind it. One could be justification to a massive build up than whats already been announced along the China border. Although India doest have to justify what it does with its troops and how it deploys, but just in case.

Vladimir79

Professional
it is all a story of TRP ratings - (Television Rating Points), higher your ratings, higher the revenue the media network gets to generate. they are all fighting a war for prime time viewer ship against all the entertainmen and in the process getting into senseless sensationalism.
Sounds like Fox News...

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Times Now did show pictures of rocks painted red and something written in chinese. Intrusions into territory claimed by India are definitely true. althought firing might have been rumours.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
it is all a story of TRP ratings - (Television Rating Points), higher your ratings, higher the revenue the media network gets to generate. they are all fighting a war for prime time viewer ship against all the entertainment, daily soap, movie channels and in the process getting into senseless sensationalism.
It is not Doordarshan(National Broadcaster ). Every news channel need to earn revenue for their survival. They are not here to do charity. So TRP and popularity of the news channel is very important for their survival.

one day the agenda is the arushi murder case and they are at it as if they are the only investigating agency in the country
So do you deny there are serious lapses in the investigation of Arushi murder case? If the media is highlighting it than what is wrong in it? But I do feel they are doing it a bit too much.

someone got up one fine morning and thought oh well its going to be the racists attacks in australia that should be made the headlines and be sold
Again I feel there are numerous attacks in Australia against Indians living there. So if media is making it a big issue than no problem with that. How much they should do it is debatable.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
This treat is like think tank for china's Breaking india into 20 pieces or to beaf up the force buildup in the chine's border

natarajan

but i think media is good job as you find sm krishna saying chinese incursion is due to perception,is it possible for indian soldiers to get into lac of china or will they say indian incursion is normal,is it possible for our heli to cross loc?
only god knows whether our netas will repeat another mistake or not

IBM

Well Indian media is free and working closley with GOI. they may be working on some plan that we dont know.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/293054_Govt-to-file-case-against-scribes-for--wrong--report

Govt to file case against scribes for 'wrong' report

STAFF WRITER 16:34 HRS IST

New Delhi, Sept 21 (PTI) Taking note of a "wrong" report about Chinese firing at Indian border guards, Government has decided to slap cases against two reporters of a prominent national daily who authored it.

Police will register FIR within a week against the scribes -- one based in Guwahati and the other in Kolkata, Home Ministry sources said here.

The Indo Tibetan Border Police has already lodged a complaint before the Delhi Police, saying the journalists have filed a wrong story that two of its jawans were injured when the Chinese Army fired at them from across the border in Kerang in northern Sikkim earlier this month.

The news report, carried on September 15, was denied by the ITBP saying no such incident had taken place anywhere along the Sino-Indian border where the ITBP personnel are deployed.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
China India news-Listen to your leaders: China tells Indian media

New Delhi: Days after the Indian government asked the media to eschew "hype" over reported Chinese incursions, China's ambassador Zhang Yan Tuesday met Home Secretary G.K. Pillai here and tried to clarify the picture.

"Nothing is happening. You listen to your leaders," Zhang told reporters when asked about his nearly half-an-hour meeting with Pillai.

The Chinese ambassador's meeting came in the wake of repeated assertions by top Indian officials and the army chief that reported incursions have occurred due to differences in perception of the Line of Actual Control.

Even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh downplayed the incursions amid reports about Beijng's unhappiness at the way Chinese border transgressions have been reported in the Indian media to conjure up a China threat.

Seeking to deflate hype over reported Chinese intrusions across the undemarcated border, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao Saturday stressed that there was "no significant increase" in incursions across all sections of the over 4,000 km border between the two countries.

"Contrary to the popular perception, the situation along the border has remained peaceful for decades," Rao said.

National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan and army chief Gen. Deepak Kapoor also cautioned against the media hype and stressed that there was nothing alarming about the reported incursions.

Narayanan expressed concern, saying that if such reports continued, "someone somewhere might lose his cool and something might go wrong."

Underlining the developing nature of relationship between India and China, Rao, a former ambassador to China, said the leaderships of the two countries are in regular communication over important bilateral issues.

"We remain in constant touch over all mutual issues. The leadership-level understandings and communication remain open all the time," Rao said.

longriver

actually I'm new here and I'm too young to discuss about the dispute between India and China in border issues.

Do you all believe that China and India do have small military conflicts in such areas?

Actually, I've seen a poll in a forum questioning about the possiblity of war between this two most populous countries.

I really want to learn about this from you

asheng312

I didn't believe India to be our enemy at all in the past .
While our media bigan to report India reports from now and then, and say that indian army began to deploy in the border.
I daubt about these reports. then I surf on the internet for an indian defence forum and finally came here. But what I see really shocked me. It seems that no one in India see China as their friend but enemy. Roit in Tibet, Xinjiang, everyone is glad to see how the chinese gorverment is going to deal with it .And anything you talk was to criticize CCP. Nothing else. While anything good about CCP and China, and that is 100% the ****ing truth, they see it as a lie. at least neglect it .
If a friend always see me as an enemy, should I always consider him as my fellow ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Once you have an independent media, freedom of speech and expression, freedom for everything basically, then the world will believe whats going on there is the truth. Else its propaganda.

asheng312

Once you have an independent media, freedom of speech and expression, freedom for everything basically, then the world will believe whats going on there is the truth. Else its propaganda.
Just as one of your army derector said : China incursion not more than last year. Why didn't your independent media report it before ?
In fact, although our media said that your media turned a hostile attitude to us, I still believe it to be ok in the border. The border is too vast ,with no mark or symbol to tell you where you are ,it is quite understandable for the sodiers get lost. so there are China incursion and also India incursion. Anything hard to believe this ?
Yes, we don't have freedom to talk about a lot of things .but I think it nothing wrong. Months ago, nearly everyone see India as our friend. While after your democracy media began to publicize China incursion and avoid India incursion with intension, our media finally notice it and report it . So hostility began to emerge. Anything good to draw the ordinary eyes on it ? Does it help solve this problem ?

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Just as one of your army derector said : China incursion not more than last year. Why didn't your independent media report it before ?
In fact, although our media said that your media turned a hostile attitude to us, I still believe it to be ok in the border. The border is too vast ,with no mark or symbol to tell you where you are ,it is quite understandable for the sodiers get lost. so there are China incursion and also India incursion. Anything hard to believe this ?
Yes, we don't have freedom to talk about a lot of things .but I think it nothing wrong. Months ago, nearly everyone see India as our friend. While after your democracy media began to publicize China incursion and avoid India incursion with intension, our media finally notice it and report it . So hostility began to emerge. Anything good to draw the ordinary eyes on it ? Does it help solve this problem ?
even if one simply forgets about media reports. There is every chance for things turning really really bad simply due to misunderstanding. Besides there is lot of trust problem. India & Indians never completely trust moves of chinese leadership. There is always suspicion of cunning moves.

Its always a big problem when border is disputed and Soldiers from both countries are claiming same region and also are patrolling it. Its quite easy to create hell of tensions between India & China.

among other thing is the WMDs given away to Pakistan by China. openly supplying long range ballistic missiles which will be only to target India.

if we consider that Chinese did not mean to directly target India, they still don't care about indian concerns and the kind of tensions that can erupt between India & Pakistan due to such missiles.

if India supplies Taiwan with few nuclear weapons & ballistic missiles and still wants to have healthy relationship with China. would China accept India as a friend?

not just this, cunning attempts to block NSG waiver for India, attempts to block loan for India at ADB.

on the other hand India respects chinese concerns
India recognizes Tibet & Taiwan as part of China. agrees to one china policy.
Indian leaders don't have political discussions with Dailai Lama on the request of chinese
India also did everything to stop tibet protests to please chinese leadership.

and in the return what India gets is Chinese vehemently claiming arunachal pradesh regularly.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

By Amit Baruah
Editor, BBC Hindi

It's the silly season in India-China relations. If you've tuned into one of the more hawkish Indian television channels or are reading the views of the many experts on India and China, it might seem like the two countries are at each other's throats.
There has been a spate of denials from the Indian foreign ministry, the border guards and even the Indian air force. All insist that there have been no clashes and no violations of Indian air space

refer to the statements in parialment about how many violations from the chinese side?
"A media report about two ITBP [Indo-Tibetan Border Police] jawans [soldiers] having been injured due to firing from across the Line of Actual Control has come to notice. It is factually incorrect," the Indian foreign ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.

And here is what the Chinese foreign ministry spokesman had to say about the same incident: "I have not heard of the scenario you mentioned... I have noticed, however, that Indian media has been releasing some groundless information recently. I wonder what their intention is."
'Without pause'
But China's concerns about accuracy do not seem to bother a large chunk of the Indian media, which is engaged in a rather serious bout of "China-bashing" these days.
Such China "stories" continue without pause.
Facts do not seem to matter as some Indian media organisations believe that this is the best way to grab a larger market share.
"Nothing has changed on the ground between the two countries," a senior Indian official, who preferred anonymity, told the BBC.
Nothing will ever change untill china invades india.Did your correspondent asked the official why china is giving stapled visas to indians in J&K?
"I just can't understand the reasons for this hysteria," the official said.
China is India's largest trading partner, with two-way trade volumes crossing $50bn in 2008.
Indian generic pharma companies are denied access citing dubiuos rules,while the whole world knows how much duplicate spurious counterfeit stuff emenates from chinese companies?
The two countries have been trying to negotiate a solution to their decades-old boundary dispute, a process which shows few signs of reaching fruition anytime soon.

Really that is news to me.For 60 years they are negotiating.
There hasn't been a single fatality in skirmishes along the undefined India-China boundary since 1967, but the memories of the crushing defeat inflicted by the Chinese on India in the 1962 war have not faded from the minds of some Indians.
In a sense, the ghost of 1962 also has not been exorcised from the memories of a certain narrow, but influential, category of retired generals and diplomats, who still harbour ambitions of "giving it back to the Chinese".

Will the BBC corespondent show the same sagacity and criticize the grand rememberance services being held in BRITAN over world war victories?
Media war
In the last two decades - ever since a path-breaking visit by Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi to Beijing in 1988 - there has been a visible effort on the part of the two governments to try to narrow their differences.
A code was agreed on how patrol parties were to act in case they encountered each other.
These encounters do take place and the two sides have a specified drill in such cases, which appears to have worked well over the years.
But now, the threat to a stable India-China relationship is coming not from the governments, but from sections within the media.
ALong all that another simple principle was agreed.That is"there should be]No displacement of settled populations in resolving border disputes".
30 years are gone and china has started issuing stapled visas to residents of KASHMIR, which is no way connected to border dispute.
If the largely private Indian media is belligerent about China, a response is beginning to emerge from the Chinese side as well.
"India likes to brag about its sustainable development, but worries that it is being left behind by China. China is seen in India as both a potential threat and a competitor to surpass," the state-run Global Times wrote in June this year.
In essence, a media war, initiated by a few Indian television channels and newspapers, has now been joined from the Chinese side as the Global Times opinion piece indicates.

Channels know that heir viewers are intelligent and exposed to real world news from the net.China's opposition to indo-us nuclear deal,transfer of missile and nuke tech to pak, delaying the resolution of border issues,accusing india of befreinding the far and attack the rear,
and it's opposition to un security council seat to india.So they cannot follow the global times lead and sing praise of china.They will lose all credibiltiy.
Briefing editors of national dailies, a senior Indian official suggested that there was no point in the press showing any "hysteria".
Not many journalists, it would appear, want to listen to such suggestions.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | 'China bashing' in the Indian media
That's the reason there is a chorus of anti china voice in indian media.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles