'China ahead of India in creating world class institutions'

JayATL

Chetan Chauhan, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, November 10, 2011

China is ahead of India in creating world class institutions, said Richard C Levin, President of Yale University.

Unlike its counterpart, India has focused on increasing the number of institutions, rather than creating world-class educational institutions.

The Chinese government had focused on 10 universities including Peking and Tsinghua to compete in global arena as compared to none by India, which has focused on setting up new higher education institutions to cater to growing demand for higher education.

"China's Peking University would be among top 25 universities in the world in a decade. And, India has opted for egalitarian tendency for setting more universities," Levin told Hindustan Times on Wednesday.

Levin also finds popular US sentiment in favour of China than India primarily because of size of the Chinese economy and its focus on the US market. Recent US data have shown that the number of US students taking admission in Chinese universities is increasing at a much higher rate than in India.

But, he believes that India has an advantage over China because of its free society but it needs to invest more for research in its universities as done in the developed world.

Levin is in India to explore more research partnership for Yale University and would be discussing future of foreign education providers in India with HRD minister Kapil Sibal.

Yale like many US universities such as Harvard and MIT has ruled out setting up a campus in India in near future.

Levin, however, found delay in enactment of Foreign Education Providers Bill and Innovation University Bill as an impediment in attracting foreign universities in India.

"Quite of them (US universities) will be interest for independent entry into the Indian market, if the (Foreign Education Providers) bill is passed," he said, while referring to heads of some US universities during Indo-US Education Summit in Washington last month.

Sibal has already held a couple of meeting with MPs belonging to UPA in his bid to get the bills passed in winter session of Parliament.

US-based universities had shown interest in India with President of Columbia University Lee C Bollinger meeting HRD minister Sibal earlier this week. Bollinder is believed to have discussed the possibility of Columbia University initiating a partnership with an Indian University in 2012.

HRD ministry officials said that the partnership between India and US universities are likely to strengthen when US secretary for state Hillary Clinton visits India in December to participate in Indo-US Education Summit. The first part of the summit was held in Washington in October this year.

'China ahead of India in creating world class institutions' - Hindustan Times

JayATL

This is interesting since I was speaking to a tenured professor at Georgia tech, premier university in the US. -- And she said that Indians in her PhD program tend to more academic minded vs. Chinese who think out of the box .... I found that quite interesting. She said an Indian would be the best student in her class, but more Chinese would be in the top 10....

kickok1975

Chetan Chauhan, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, November 10, 2011

China is ahead of India in creating world class institutions, said Richard C Levin, President of Yale University.

Unlike its counterpart, India has focused on increasing the number of institutions, rather than creating world-class educational institutions.

The Chinese government had focused on 10 universities including Peking and Tsinghua to compete in global arena as compared to none by India, which has focused on setting up new higher education institutions to cater to growing demand for higher education.

"China's Peking University would be among top 25 universities in the world in a decade. And, India has opted for egalitarian tendency for setting more universities," Levin told Hindustan Times on Wednesday.

Levin also finds popular US sentiment in favour of China than India primarily because of size of the Chinese economy and its focus on the US market. Recent US data have shown that the number of US students taking admission in Chinese universities is increasing at a much higher rate than in India.

But, he believes that India has an advantage over China because of its free society but it needs to invest more for research in its universities as done in the developed world.

Levin is in India to explore more research partnership for Yale University and would be discussing future of foreign education providers in India with HRD minister Kapil Sibal.

Yale like many US universities such as Harvard and MIT has ruled out setting up a campus in India in near future.

Levin, however, found delay in enactment of Foreign Education Providers Bill and Innovation University Bill as an impediment in attracting foreign universities in India.

"Quite of them (US universities) will be interest for independent entry into the Indian market, if the (Foreign Education Providers) bill is passed," he said, while referring to heads of some US universities during Indo-US Education Summit in Washington last month.

Sibal has already held a couple of meeting with MPs belonging to UPA in his bid to get the bills passed in winter session of Parliament.

US-based universities had shown interest in India with President of Columbia University Lee C Bollinger meeting HRD minister Sibal earlier this week. Bollinder is believed to have discussed the possibility of Columbia University initiating a partnership with an Indian University in 2012.

HRD ministry officials said that the partnership between India and US universities are likely to strengthen when US secretary for state Hillary Clinton visits India in December to participate in Indo-US Education Summit. The first part of the summit was held in Washington in October this year.

'China ahead of India in creating world class institutions' - Hindustan Times
Finally you are posting something objectively on China. Anyway for Indian students I met in US, all of them are bright, smart and nice people. They are very good academically. I also have a few Indian friends who have family and children. My impression is they are just as traditional, mabybe even more as Chinese

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
[h=2]China ahead of India in creating world class institutions'[/h]
What's new on that ?? Even a school kid would tell the same. :tsk:

We are definitely behind but hopefully we will fill the gap in future.

kickok1975

This is interesting since I was speaking to a tenured professor at Georgia tech, premier university in the US. -- And she said that Indians in her PhD program tend to more academic minded vs. Chinese who think out of the box .... I found that quite interesting. She said an Indian would be the best student in her class, but more Chinese would be in the top 10....
There is a lot more Indian holding senior position in American corporation than their Chinese counterpart. They have better communication skill and boldness and will to demonstrate leadership.

JayATL

Finally you are posting something objectively. Anyway for Indian students I met in US, all of them are bright, smart and nice people. They are very good academically. I also have a few Indian friends who have family and children. My impression is they are just as traditional, mabybe even more as Chinese
I like you and have mucho respect for you personally... you that .00001% of chinese who are not seditious pricks in my scientific polling :p ( j/k)

kickok1975

I like you and have mucho respect for you personally... you that .00001% of chinese who are not seditious pricks in my scientific polling :p ( j/k)
I like you more last year than this year. Keep posting some good and objective stuffs I'm sure more people including me will like you more.

Naren1987

The biggest deficiency in our education system is:
1.We have too small a talent pool, especially in the unprivileged sections of the society, and because the schools that can cater to the needs of the underprivileged kids hire ppl on the basis of caste, its unlikely we can get these institutions right.
So we have to find a way to reduce dependency on the govt for education, tax rebates for funding education is a good idea.
2.We need more colleges for all spheres, right now the only decent colleges we have are engineering colleges. so students who could've been great lawyers, teachers, etc, still go for Engineering, whether or not they have the required aptitude for it or not.
3.We need better funding for these colleges, staff, infrastructure, etc.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Don't know what is the situation in China, but yes India lacks IITs IIMs in numbers. We are not doing any research in colleges or universities. At least from what I know from my time where nothing was visible don't know what's going on now. But we surely need such institutions in India.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Because Chinese ALLOW AND ENCOURAGE RESEARCH and MAKE USE of successful researches unlike our sarkari flea-bitten agencies that let the research files of thousands of brilliant students rot with cockroach eggs on it in some corner of their paan-strewn offices.

JayATL

Because Chinese ALLOW AND ENCOURAGE RESEARCH and MAKE USE of successful researches unlike our sarkari flea-bitten agencies that let the research files of thousands of brilliant students rot with cockroach eggs on it in some corner of their paan-strewn offices.
lol, i actually got a mental picture of your vivid description...

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
becoz the top Chinese r in China.LOL

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
lol, i actually got a mental picture of your vivid description...
That's the truth. That's how sarkari offices are even today. No culture, no concept of professionalism. Opposed to any corporatization, as it would remove the job immunity off their heads. Against any work structure modification. Not even for the sake of higher salaries! You see more than half of the sarkari jokers right now are joinees of 70s who are nearing their retirement. In all these years, they've done nothing (not referring to top scientists, soldiers and other critical people who have proven their mettle despite other babus being corrupt). Now they're used to not doing anything. They want reservations for their kids also to come and continue the dirt.

So? That's why we're in a lurch. One thing Chinese excesses did is that they weeded out the parasitic mentality of local people and got them a totally new working ethic. Think we need to adopt that in the same fashion. Screw unions, corporatize every single government body, unify the fragmented government agencies related to one single field, remove the job immunity and RESTRUCTURE government entrance civil service exams which are now noting more than cramming Congressi propaganda shoved down every Indian's throat since he or she is able to read and write.

Naren1987

That's the truth. That's how sarkari offices are even today. No culture, no concept of professionalism. Opposed to any corporatization, as it would remove the job immunity off their heads. Against any work structure modification. Not even for the sake of higher salaries! You see more than half of the sarkari jokers right now are joinees of 70s who are nearing their retirement. In all these years, they've done nothing (not referring to top scientists, soldiers and other critical people who have proven their mettle despite other babus being corrupt). Now they're used to not doing anything. They want reservations for their kids also to come and continue the dirt.

So? That's why we're in a lurch. One thing Chinese excesses did is that they weeded out the parasitic mentality of local people and got them a totally new working ethic. Think we need to adopt that in the same fashion. Screw unions, corporatize every single government body, unify the fragmented government agencies related to one single field, remove the job immunity and RESTRUCTURE government entrance civil service exams which are now noting more than cramming Congressi propaganda shoved down every Indian's throat since he or she is able to read and write.
Tshering22 for PM.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
becoz the top Chinese r in China.LOL
No they are not. I have met and talked to enough Chinese in the USA and Europe to know that just like India, the best and the brightest from China come to the USA. Some of them do go back - but a lot of them stay back too.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This is interesting as Chinese universities are a joke. LOL

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
No they are not. I have met and talked to enough Chinese in the USA and Europe to know that just like India, the best and the brightest from China come to the USA. Some of them do go back - but a lot of them stay back too.
LOL, then China is rising with not brightest and not best Chinese.
And US is going down with the brightest and best Chinese.LOL

Last edited:

cir

free society? lol! nothing is free in this world, if you get my drift. lol!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles