Children could get death penalty as Maldives brings back executions

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Children could get death penalty as Maldives brings back executions

(CNN) -- The Maldives overturned a six-decade-old moratorium on capital punishment with the adoption of a new regulation this week that allows for the death penalty to be used to punish certain crimes.

The Maldivian government enacted the regulation, which makes provision for execution by lethal injection, for the crimes of premeditated murder or deliberate manslaughter.

While the age of criminal responsibility is 10 in the Maldives, some crimes under the country's Sharia laws -- known as Hadd offenses -- have an age of responsibility of 7. This means that juveniles could potentially face execution in the archipelago.

Execution facilities at the Maldives' Maafushi Prison were being built to carry out sentences. Since reenacted, 20 people have been sentenced to death, although one of these sentences was overturned by the High Court, a report in the country's Haveeru newspaper said.

Local Maldives media reported that Minister of Home Affairs Umar Naseer defended the decision to reinstate the penalty, saying that the Maldives was suffering from overcrowded prisons and a "lively criminal environment."

He was also quoted as saying that the Maldives was "a hundred percent Islamic country and there are certain values that we all believe in."

The U.N. and EU have expressed their concerns about the move, which could potentially see minors killed by the state.
"According to the new regulation, minors convicted of intentional murder shall be executed once they turn 18. Similar provisions in the recently ratified Penal Code, allowing for the application of the death penalty for crimes committed when below the age of 18, are also deeply regrettable," Ravina Shamdasani, a spokeswoman for the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, said in a statement.

"We urge the Government to retain its moratorium on the use of the death penalty in all circumstances, particularly in cases that involve juvenile offenders and to work towards abolishing the practice altogether."

EU High Representative Catherine Ashton was also "deeply concerned" about the adoption of the regulations and urged the Maldives to retain the moratorium on the death penalty.

"The High Representative holds a strong and principled position against the death penalty," a statement issued by her office said.
"The death penalty is cruel and inhumane, and has not been shown in any way to act as a deterrent to crime."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/asia/maldives-death-penalty/
************************************************************************************

This type of laws indicate that some countries are not keeping pace with the contemporary environment of the world.

While religious laws were formulated in the environment of the Middle Ages and may have been relevant then, the same, by no stretch of imagination is valid today.

These types of Govts only play to the religious and are afraid to break away lest the clergy whip up a religious frenzy and ensure the unseating of the Govt.

The clergy stranglehold is only because they do not want the power slipping out of their hand and grip over the populace.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Re: Children could get death penalty as Maldives brings back execution

Death penalty should be banned
the state has no right to take life if it can't restore it
one thing many doesn't know about laws , today's law can be cruelty tomorrow
eg. In medieval ages many kings used to cut hands of thief or boil them in oil. After husband's death woman have to burn herself with him
both were common during those period but inhuman today
maldives should re think about death penalty
any one can mould mind of a child to any direction eg terrorists
we should change children by telling them their errors and not by killing them

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Death penalty should be banned
the state has no right to take life if it can't restore it
one thing many doesn't know about laws , today's law can be cruelty tomorrow
eg. In medieval ages many kings used to cut hands of thief or boil them in oil. After husband's death woman have to burn herself with him
both were common during those period but inhuman today
maldives should re think about death penalty
any one can mould mind of a child to any direction eg terrorists
we should change children by telling them their errors and not by killing them
One of the many stupid so called 'modern' ideologies.

So the rapists of Nirbhaya (actually all the rapists) should not be hanged? Hanging Kasav was wrong? Afjal guru?

The stupidest argument is if the state cannot restore life, it cannot take one. I mean, then what should the state do? Incarcerate the criminals forever at the expense of exchequers? Actually, the death penalties should be given more frequently - particularly in cases like killings by organised crimes, rapes or child molestation! The raest case argument is bullshit! Why, Kasav could have argued that terrorism is no longer a rare case!

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

One of the many stupid so called 'modern' ideologies.

So the rapists of Nirbhaya (actually all the rapists) should not be hanged? Hanging Kasav was wrong? Afjal guru?

The stupidest argument is if the state cannot restore life, it cannot take one. I mean, then what should the state do? Incarcerate the criminals forever at the expense of exchequers? Actually, the death penalties should be given more frequently - particularly in cases like killings by organised crimes, rapes or child molestation! The raest case argument is bullshit! Why, Kasav could have argued that terrorism is no longer a rare case!
life imprisonment should given to those
they should be forced to work and earn and not should given free services

trackwhack

Just annex the tiny shitheads already!

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

life imprisonment should given to those
they should be forced to work and earn and not should given free services
No, life imprisonment won't work as that poses little deterrent as even a child knows that with little connection and a good bit of money, one can live a pretty good life in Indian prisons.

No, they should be hanged and made an example for all the bast@rds who might wish to go their way. I do believe that human beings are predators in nature and only the fear of social justice system that keeps their base nature leashed.

Actually, I prefer more the way Afzal Guru was treated. The flip-flops of hope and then a BAMM! Those animals should be made crazy in fear before being hanged! except I did not like that his family wasn't allowed the last visitation.

I don't care what the so called modern society values are, but then i always believed in more conservative ideas when it comes to justice and social mores. I may be of obsolete in respect of my ideas, but I support Death penalty, I am against LGBT, I am for more speedy trials and believe in old adage that even if 10 guilty goes free, a single innocent should not be punished. I also believe in adage of spare the rod and spoil the kid.

Sue me, but I have seen that most others around me - the mid to lower middle class people do adhere to the same, although due to media being occupied by the migher class anglophile western bootlickers, our voice is not heard over their cacophony of debates where they bring in their likeminded fellows to propagate what those anglos in dark skin wants!

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Just annex the tiny shitheads already!
No way! Do you want another half-a-million crazy indoctrined mullahs coming over here asking for sharia! I am already afraid if the GoI decides to gie them shelter when their puny island gets drowned in coming days!

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

@jackprince after so much search I found someone saying prisoners CAN LIVE HAPPILY IN INDIAN JAILS
just live one day in home without any tv,phone etc
you are in total freedom that's why don't know cost of it. If you lose freedom it is nearly same you are killed
if you hang someone and after a year you found him innocent with proof , you can't do anything but remorse
same happened with bhagat singh ,he was not guilty, he doesnt killed sanders though they hanged him, latest documents spoke this thing
it is immoral as well unlogical to hang someone
here's link of bhagat singh
http://m.thehindu.com/news/bhagat-s...ling+sanders&client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new

Last edited by a moderator:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

@jackprince after so much search I found someone saying prisoners CAN LIVE HAPPILY IN INDIAN JAILS
just live one day in home without any tv,phone etc
you are in total freedom that's why don't know cost of it. If you lose freedom it is nearly same you are killed
if you hang someone and after a year you found him innocent with proof , you can't do anything but remorse
same happened with bhagat singh ,he was not guilty, he doesnt killed sanders though they hanged him, latest documents spoke this thing
it is immoral as well unlogical to hang someone
here's link of bhagat singh
Bhagat Singh not named in FIR for Saunders' murder - The Hindu: Mobile Edition
Dont paraphrase me as you draw out the wrong meaning.

I said 'pretty good life' compared to what those b@stards deserve after destroying otyers lives.

Btw it is hillarious to even consider that coz a prisoner doesnt get mobile and internet connection his life is miserable. Anyway i would urge you to read more newspapers which regularly mention how surprise checks in jails finds mobile phones from prisoners.

I think you consider it immoral to execute Pol Pot too? You must have signed a mercy petition for Kasav i guess?

And the Bhagat singh argument and the linked artcle is totally irrelevant to the post.

Btw it is illogical not unlogical.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

btw its kasab and not kasav
there is connection of bhagat singh and capital punishment
if someone takes money and gives faulty proof against a innocent and court hangs him later after five year it is found that he was innocent , can state restore him because he is not innocent?
no
there are loads of mosquito in jails with hard bed ,dirty place for toilet,tasteless food and much more
do you call it pretty happy life? @jackprince

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

here I am taking about children and not terrorist
everyone knows what terrorists deserve

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles