Child marriage in India: The results of the ugliest side of poverty

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Neo, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Neo

Neo Senior Member Senior Member

Child marriage in India: The results of the ugliest side of poverty By Geeta Bandi-Phillips

Sunday, 20 October 2013

Geeta Bandi-Phillips works as External Relations Manager at World Vision UK

I had a wonderful childhood growing up in a small village in Andhra Pradesh, India. The memories I cherish most are playing in the green paddy fields and counting stars at night till my eyes drooped. Everyone knew everyone in the village. I always felt safe. My grandmother, a staff nurse at the local health centre had regular updates on her granddaughters’ whereabouts from the villagers.

It took a while for me to realise that all was not as idyllic as it seemed, especially for adolescent girls. As I progressed from year to year at school, the number of girls there dwindled. At the final year of the school, girls accounted for just one fifth of the whole class. Their disappearance was not a scandal. It was quite the opposite: they got married in loud ceremonies to become respectable wives and daughters-in-law. They were fulfilling what they saw as their duty as obedient daughters. But when my schoolmates started getting married we were just a bunch of 13-year-olds, still figuring out what growing up means.

The recent story of the eight-year-old Yemeni child bride who died on her wedding night comes to mind when I look back. Did my friends have anyone they could talk to when they were scared and needed a shoulder to cry on? I don’t know. I could not know. Girls like us growing up in India were trained to never to ask or answer questions like these.

Later on, it wasn’t a surprise when I learned that India accounts for 40 per cent of the 57.5 million child brides across the world. They were not statistics. They were my friends.

This summer when I went back to visit my village, after 20 years, I was ready for all sorts of news. Even then I was surprised when I learned about the grandchildren of school friends who are still in their thirties. It once again pushed me to think about how fast the generations turn and how we take our young women for granted. It’s hard for me to imagine what it would be like if I was never given the chance to study, do what I liked most, travel, and marry the man I love.

Child marriages are the results of the ugliest side of poverty, and they keep communities trapped in that poverty. The Millennium Development Goals’ promises of health and education that world leaders made in 2000 have helped young women take a step towards their dreams. But many are still left behind. Ending child marriage will enable those who hold up half the sky to stand strong.

As India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru said, “If you educate a man you educate an individual; however, if you educate a woman you educate a whole family. Women empowered means mother India empowered”. This is true not just for India, but for the entire world.

I long to see my friends’ children allowed to be children – to avoid getting married at the age of 13 and starting a family at 14. I long to see all young women exercise their right to choose – from the smallest thing about what to wear, to the most important of whom to marry and when to have children.
    Facts about child marriage:

- Every year, 13.5 million girls around the world marry before their 18th birthday.

- An estimated 142 million girls will be married in the decade to 2020

- Girls living in poor households are twice as likely to marry before 18 than girls in higher income households

- Once married, girls experience intense pressure to bear children as soon as possible which can have devastating consequences on their health

- Girls below the age of 15 are also five times more likely to die in childbirth than women in their 20s

- Globally, perinatal deaths are 50 per cent higher among babies born to mothers under the age of 20 than among those born to mothers aged 20–29 years

Child marriage in India: The results of the ugliest side of poverty | Geeta Bandi-Phillips | Independent Editor's choice Blogs

rizwan78 likes this.
  3. Neo

Re: Child marriage in India: The results of the ugliest side of povert

Child Marriage Hot SpotsRank Country Name % girls married before 18

1 Niger 75
    2 Chad 68
    3 Central African Republic 68
    4 Bangladesh 66
    5 Guinea 63
    6 Mozambique 56
    7 Mali 55
    8 Burkina Faso 52
    9 South Sudan 52
    10 Malawi 50
    11 Madagascar 48
    12 Eritrea 47
    13 India 47
    14 Somalia 45
    15 Sierra Leone 44
    16 Zambia 42
    17 Dominican Republic 41
    18 Ethiopia 41
    19 Nepal 41
    20 Nicaragua 41

Child Marriage Facts and Figures | ICRW

rizwan78 likes this.
  4. Neo

5. Neo

India backs out of UN resolution on child marriage.

India backs out of UN resolution on child marriage - Hindustan Times

6. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

Loser Paki look inside

Sidra, aged 13, with her daughter born eight months ago. Sidra was married a year ago
    [​IMG]

The annual number of child marriages taking place in Pakistan remains unknown. It is believed most such forced marriages, many occurring in relatively remote rural areas, go unreported.

Bride prices commonly range from $1,400 to $5,000, with younger girls drawing a larger amount. :tsk: FAILED COUNTRY

Asia, 15, who was married off three years ago, is now back at her parents’ home, near Khairpur, with her two small children. Her mother, Dilshad Bibi, told IRIN the girl, sold off by her father to a 30-year-old man as his second wife, had been “treated like a slave”, raped, tortured and then kicked out of her husband’s home after he took a still younger girl as his third wife.

Under Islamic laws enforced in the country, men are permitted to take up to four wives. FAILED IDEOLOGY

Organisations such as the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) have documented cases of torture and physical violence against girls sold of by their fathers. The victims include girls as young as nine or 10 years old. FAILED VALUES

IRIN Asia | PAKISTAN: Child marriages on the rise across rural Sindh | Pakistan | Children | Human Rights

SOME MORE AND 1000 MINORITY GIRLS (KIDS) in a yr ........... FAILED CRUEL ISLAMIC NATION
    1,000 minority girls forced in marriage every year: report - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
    Cultures clash over forced child marriages in Pakistan

7. Neo

This thread is about child marriages in India loser, specially opened to shut up trolls like you bashing Pakistan with such topics.

Face the ugly truth instead of trolling.

8. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm... World Vision is into `conversion business` .

Having said that - child marriage in rural India does not mean a girl starts having babies at age 9 - generally the bride goes to the grooms house only around age of 17-18. This ceremony called `gauna` in Hindi takes place several years after the child marriage.

jackprince and Abhijat like this.
  9. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

@Neo sir what is the need of starting a thread like this. All of us know that child marriage is a problem in the Indian subcontinent(both Pakistan and India). It is an evil that is slowly being rooted out from our society. I think such things as child marriages will eventually be unheard of about 20 years from now. However by pointing at this things and making such threads you are lowering the image of not only India but also of your country Pakistan. It would be better if such mud slinging is stopped and we instead do something to stop these evil practices.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Abhijat, Neo and rizwan78 like this.
  10. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

abhi_the _gr8_maratha Senior Member Senior Member

lets see progress of pakis
    Twenty four percent of
    women in the country were married
    before the age of 18 years in the
    country between 2000 and 2010 with
    seven percent married before they
    reached the age of 15 years. Other
    estimates quote that around 30% of
    the marriages in Pakistan fall under
    the child marriage category with the
    highest prevalence in the Sindh
    province.[4]
    IRIN Asia | PAKISTAN: Child marriages on the rise across rural Sindh | Pakistan | Children | Human Rights
    for the government and civil society
    organizations.
    According to the Economic Survey of
    Pakistan 2012-13, Pakistan is the sixth
    populous country in the world having
    an estimated 184.35 million people
    with 2 percent growth rate. By 2050
    Pakistan will become the fifth
    populated country if it continued with
    the same pace of growth rate. Of this
    about 48 percent are estimated to
    children. A big number of these
    children mainl

11. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

for the government and civil society
    organizations.
    According to the Economic Survey of
    Pakistan 2012-13, Pakistan is the sixth
    populous country in the world having
    an estimated 184.35 million people
    with 2 percent growth rate. By 2050
    Pakistan will become the fifth
    populated country if it continued with
    the same pace of growth rate. Of this
    about 48 percent are estimated to
    children. A big number of these
    children mainly girls are married in
    their innocent age even 7 years old. In
    2001, estimated 37 percent women
    were reported to married below 18
    years of age, [1] the percentage is still
    feared to be same after 12 years
    Child Marriages in Pakistan | The Institute for Social Justice (ISJ)

12. rizwan78

rizwan78 Regular Member

Europeans are much more worse then us in this field, even they have law of 18s but it is only a law, we all know a girl would have to become pregnant 1000 time before she reach 18s , honestly in pakistan we have some areas where underage marriages taken placed not in all of pakistan, i have few friends from swat , bannu, waziristan, south punjab , northern sindh area , who are married at the age of 13 or 14 with same aged girls,

Neo and Peter like this.
  13. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

The fact Europeans or the Western people too have child "unions". Here in Asia we have child marriages. I mean I know that child marriage is an evil practice but at least a marriage is better than an illicit union. Europeans have far higher cases of teen pregnancies per ratio as compared to us. We are fighting this child marriage practice but in Europe/West it is considered evil for parents to stop their children from having improper relationships.

Just last year the Telegraph published a report of how an American couple was arrested after they had scolded their teen daughter for having improper relationships with men.

14. Neo

Thank you for your kind advice, appreciated.
    I would have been more impressed if your message was aimed at all DFI'ans and not just me.

I have no interest in maligning India or criticising and mocking her society. But I am forced to respond this way and give some trolls a reality check becauase Pakistan section is flooded by such threads and it remains unmoderated. Even the replies in this India-specific thread sofar are off topic and instead of killing the message the obsessed trolls have chosen to target Pakistan which only puts India in discredit, not Pakistan.

India is.3.5 times larger than Pakistan and.has six times the population of Pakistan. Whatever social challenges we face in Pakistan, India has them too regardless their scale on intensity.

This thread is only an eye opener for the well known trolls posting such bs in Pakistan section every other day.

I opologize if I hurt anyone's feelimgs.

Peter likes this.
  15. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

india, pakistan both are third world countries and development is not a one night show.

rizwan78 and Peter like this.
  16. rizwan78

rizwan78 Regular Member

This will take long time but defiantly it will change , i am living in rural area of Punjab, our population is around 2500, one thing amaze me alot that in my village almost every girls minimum qualification is graduation and are attached with teaching profession, on the other side boys literacy rate is very low,as compare to the girls , after passing the metric or inter they prefers to go Gulf countries for work.......... and you are right we are third world countries with third grade minds too

parijataka and Neo like this.
  17. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

kera pind ha tera prava,yeah tehseel?

18. rizwan78

rizwan78 Regular Member

You manmohan singh village GAH is just 15 kilometer is far from my village, my city is chakwal .......tusi kithy hondy oo phaa g ?:rolleyes:

19. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

indian are not third grade minded , actually they are indians who have great hand in developing america

20. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

@Neo

Child marriage in India: The results of the ugliest side of poverty

Note the word Poverty.

In Pakistan, more than poverty, it is sanctified and expected to be followed by Religion!

A good Muslim has to follow to the letter the edict of Religion contained in the Koran, Hadith and the actions of the life of Mohammed

And in Pakistan not following the Sharia can land you into big trouble.

21. Neo

Yet Pakistan is not in the top 20 list of countries where child marriage occur, India is!

Mullah's continue to be confused about their own prefered version of Islam, one that gives them free food and 4 mariages with young virgins.

The age of Bibi Ayesha is not determined nor mentioned in the Qur'an, which gave the supportes of child marriage supporters like the Saudis all the space to speculate about her age to fit their own medieval society.

Bibi Ayesha, the daughter of Hazrat Abu Baker was already engaged to some other man before she was 'given' to Muhammad pbuh.which indicates that she she was already an.adult. According to Islam and Mohammads teachings, a marriage can only take place 'with her consent'. He speaks of 'marriage', not 'consumation' of marriage. Therefor it is against all logics that a six year old would be old and wise enough to take the most important dicision of her life.

Iranian seculars have recently proved that Bivi Ayesha must be arleast 16 years old at the time of her marriage.

Mullahs will continue to.make.noise about it untill OIC or some other authority comes with a dicisive cinclusion based on scientific proof.

Despite an islamic culture and.tje freedom to marry four times, child marriages have never boomed in Pakistan because unlike KSA we don't have amedieval society or.culture. it occurs mainly in rural and poor areas. A minor girl is sold to pay off debts, settle a family matter or just because the parents have nothing to feed.

Please donot blame Islam for everything.