Chennai Metro to go underneath historic Cooum

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Mad Indian, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Metro dips under historic Cooum - The Times of India

parijataka and nitesh like this.
  3. Mad Indian

4. ant80

ant80 Regular Member

I don't know how feasible this is going to be. A city in the state of Alabama in US tried the same thing, and failed. They actually tried to build a sewer underneath a river. Now that city filed for bankrupcy after spending more than 2million USD in removing an earth removal machine that got stuck under the river. I really don't want to see that happen in India.

5. Mad Indian

Lets see now shall we :notsure:?

6. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

We will succeed, Chennai needs Metro, some times I feel Chennai Metro is more planned then Bangalore, and the pace of work is also great. Hope other state governments take cue from the problems faced by Chennai and Bangalore and start work on Metros early, before the situation goes out of control

Mad Indian likes this.
  7. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Bangalore metro is perfect and on track. Yes there was a little delay in opening reach one. But then such huge projects are bound to have little hick ups. Overall it is on schedule. It covers major residential and business hubs in Phase 1 and a lot more will be covers in phase 2. Add to thy mono rail feeder to metro. By 2013 end entire metro phase 1 will be operational. I see no delay in that. Even if there is a bit of a delay, it is understandable..

But yes, sharing of best practices and causes of concerns can be shared so that mistakes are not repeated when others go about constructing their metros.

BTW, all major tier 1 and tier 2 cities have plans for metro ready.

parijataka, nitesh and Mad Indian like this.
  8. nitesh

YB, I still don't understand the utility of mono rails, isn't the cost of setting up separate infrastructure will be more then strengthening of existing road network as feeder?

9. Yusuf

The idea is to get vehicles of the road and decongest it and provide an efficient and fast transportation.

Monorails compliment metros and are cheaper to build than metros.

Bangalore metro passes through high density areas of Bangalore. Mono rails on lesser ones. We cannot run metro on those routed as it will be more expensive.

10. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

It is far easier and inexpensive to build a bridge across a river/rivulet/canal. Why this fascination with an under-the river tunneling?

11. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

IMO Chennai messed up with the International airport in a big way when DMK bullied MMS so that it was not privatised.

Delhi airport today is at par with any international airport and had AAI been asked to do it then we all know what would have been the result.

Mad Indian likes this.
  12. mayfair

Actually that is not entirely true. The initial costs may be lower (not significantly) but operating costs can be substantially higher for a monorail compared to a Metro. The reasons being

1. Mono rail carriages run on rubber tyres on concrete guideway. These tyres need to be continuously monitored and frequently replaced and they do not come cheap.

2. The monorail carriages must be built with light weight alloys, which are expensive and also need quite a bit of maintenance. This adds to the input and maintenance costs.

3. Monorails have limited passenger capacity and must operate on near capacity at all times to be financially viable. Since these are largely used as feeder systems, this is not very likely.

Mad Indian likes this.
  13. nitesh

YB, not entirely true, roads can be de congested with Metro alone, and feeder bus services, if we can devise a plan for a single pass between BMTC and Metro, well myfair has explained the issue

14. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

O boy you know not of the Cooum..:lol:

15. plugwater

plugwater Elite Member Elite Member

[​IMG]

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Monorail or Metro Rail: the pros and cons

Dovah and nitesh like this.
  16. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

I would not like to travel over it. Prefer the underground route.

Slightly Off Topic, why don't we flush it with sea water so that once and for all it gets cleaned.

17. plugwater

plugwater Elite Member Elite Member

Another blunder in JJ part i would say for giving up on Chennai metro phase II and going for 100km+ monorail.

Mad Indian likes this.
  18. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

19. mayfair

I am afraid I do mate.

Not once during my visits to Chennai (there have been loads), have I had the good fortune to miss the sight of Cooum, Adiyar and the unforgettable Buckingham canal (a friend told me that quite a few Chennai denizens call it the Stinkingham canal. Aptly named, I say).

However, if DMRC can build enough bridges over Yamuna, which makes Cooum and Adiyar look like Gangotri, I dare say, Chennai Metro can at least contemplate dredging up the Cooum.

Dovah and KS like this.
  20. Mad Indian

Actually, i think thats the only blunder she did. Metro is messy to begin and work but better on the long run. This political removal of the metro was the omst unreasonable thing she ever did.

21. Yusuf

No mate. Take Bangalore as example. It is a circular city unlink say Mumbai.

Now if you see Bangalore's residential and business hubs, it's passing through central bangalore with business areas in central and north as residences in south as well as central and west. So we have a north south line and an east west line connecting all the busiest areas of Bangalore.

No if you are staying in say Sarjapur area, you don't have metro connectivity. But you have this area coming up in a big way. Now for this area to be connected to the city, you either use the high traffic zone roads or you have a monorail connecting to the nearest metro station.

Monorail has its advantages as a feeder. That is why it has been successful in many cities. I like Singapore system. There the Metro, Mono and the Bus service are integrated. Where the metro does not go, there is monorail and where monorail cannot go, there is bus. There is no redundancy.