Chennai : Gay pride silenced by violence

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Singh, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Just like to point out Delhi and Bombay have had successful gay pride rallies

====

Chennai: It was on June 25, 1978 that the rainbow flag representing gay pride was flown for the first time at the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade. Thirty-four years have passed and things remain more or less the same for this marginalised section.

The visibility of the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender) and now the Q (Queer) and I (Intersex) community, has increased in Chennai, with the recently hosted fourth Pride March. Yet, people belonging to the LGBT community have several experiences of prejudice, discrimination and violence to share.

There was this unholy spectacle of a young student from a city college, who was beaten up, stripped and made to walk in his underwear by his seniors at a freshers party, only because he openly admitted he was gay.

People belonging to the LGBT community have several experiences of prejudice, discrimination and violence to share.

A bunch of educated guys who held decent positions in corporates were refused to be served and chased out of a pub in a star hotel in the city, because the hotel manager decided that they were gays, as they carried beautiful handbags.

There are several stories of how intolerant families put such children in mental asylums and prayer houses, thinking it will change their sexual orientation or their gender identity. There are families forcing their gay or bi-sexual sons to get married, which, even lawyers admit, is one of the major reasons for divorce.

When Steff (21) told his parents that he was gay, they got him admitted to a psychiatric centre where he was not even given water. Later, his family moved him to a prayer house to heal him.

Dev (24), an MTech student who is gay and Director of Chennai Dost, an online community for the gay and bi-sexual men, says: “The personal battles that most of us go through, not being able to tell our dear families and friends about our real selves, is very tormenting. Every time we interact with them, it is a battle. We have this fear - will our families stop loving us or will our friends stop talking to us, when they know the reality.”

And there have been incidents of some LGBT members being thrown out of their jobs.

Magdalene Jeyarathenam, Director, Centre for Counselling, who has been working on the issues of the LGBT community said, “The corporates in the city should have an inclusive HR policy for accommodating people with alternative sexuality.”

Chennai: Gay pride silenced by violence — ibnlive.in.com — Readability

Dovah and Oracle like this.
  3. While i m against systematic persecution of LGBTs ...
    I see no reason why this Gay Pride Non sense should be tolerated ....

Chennai : Gay pride silenced by violence

so i have only Silence for this Violence . . .

For those who have some solid arguements . . .
    How these Gay pride parades do more good then bad .... i'll like to hear them

4. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Why go so far - on this forum, we have a member called "Spikey360" who claimed that if he found out that someone was gay, he would "beat the crap" out of him.

When this is the situation among so-called "intellectual" people who discuss defence and geopolitics in modern India, god knows what the situation will be among the economically poorer and lower class!

Singh and Oracle like this.
  5. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Chennai the cultured city huh?:mad:

6. Mad Indian

Why not have a gay parade, in a country which has so many stupid parades in the name of religion?

What exactly is wrong in these people marching for their rights? Can you please tell me one good reason gays should not go for parade?

Bangalorean likes this.
  7. Bangalorean

Well said. What we are seeing here is just the usual Indian hypocrisy with regard to anything they don't like/understand/approve of.

8. two wrongs dont make up a right ....i think oft repeated here ...

i see no Heterosexuals parading around claiming to be "Proud" of their sexuality ...
    these people claim to be normal ..right ?

so what's this 'Pride' parade about

March about rights is fine

I see no reason to glorify these exceptions to normal human behavior . . .

9. Bangalorean

You seem to contradict yourself! Are you for the rights of homosexuals to lead a normal life and gain acceptance of their sexuality, or are you not?

If yes, what is your problem with the parade?

If no, you do realize that they are that way by birth, not by choice? How would you like it if you were forced to live with a man, in spite of liking only women?

10. Mad Indian

Duh, because heterosexuals have outlawed them? Which makes a lawful statement that Only Heterosexuals are normal? So they have a right to come and parade and claim what is rightfully theirs- that is the right to use "their" private parts how "they" want it.

Anyway, you know what is actually abnormal and un-natural- religion. Tell me a species in nature which has religion. Funny, the animals have some primitive form of government(usually their alpha male is in charge of the herd), a primitive politics (the way they elect new leaders among their herd/pack et al). But none of them have religion. But they are better to the Sapient animals in that, atleast they dont force the fellow animals on what they do with their dicks/vagina, if you know what I mean.

IMO, these Homophobes are worse than animals

This shows the arrogance by Heterosexuals- 'nuff said. Think why is that;)

Exceptions to Normal Human behavior huh? And what makes you think they are abnormal? because you dont share their "faith"?

11. gain acceptance with whom . . . ?

Themselves or others . . .

If its themselves . . .then they obviously dont need to parade

if its others . . . No amount of parading would help ....!!

^ are you speaking from experience . . . sorry if that's offensive . . .i really dont mean to . . .and i m sorry if i do

but i think while there are some who have genuinely no choice in the matter . . . .

There are a lot of simply confused cases ...who are easily lured into believing
    being Gay ....would give them some kind of rebellious self image and edge while coping with social pressures.

Its these ones i m worried about

if LGBT groups genuinely want something for themselves ...
    then work for change in Indian Penal code . . .

what purpose is served by Parading ?

12. Mad Indian

One thing I cant really understand is, is it even relevent if it is medically normal or not? I mean who the hell are we to judge what the others are doing in their private matters. The way we are forced to debate that they are normal , just to make a point itself shows the way our society is prejudiced

What if some one is a is a gay by choice, does it make it more criminal?

13. Bangalorean

"Work for change in IPC" - huh, isn't that what they are doing with all these parades and awareness and all that? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when you say that "there are lot of confused cases who are lured into being gay". You have no idea of biology, and no idea of homosexuality.

You are worried about offending me? On the contrary, it is you who are offended - offended by this parade, offended by homosexuals, offended by what others do with their private parts. You are a closet homophobe who is trying hard not to appear one.

What else offends you? Pre-marital sex? Dating? So-called "unnatural sex", as the IPC calls it (everything other than penetrative, in other words)?

All these parades and stuff is just a way for them to make themselves heard, and give confidence to the thousands of homosexuals who don't come out with their sexuality in public for fear of society. If you are not a homophobe or a useless "moral policeman", don't grudge them that.

Mad Indian likes this.
  14. Bangalorean

You are right, but that point (of it being a natural phenomenon) is a good point to make to homophobes and moral police.

15. Mad Indian

Dude, really? Its like saying whats the use of parading when fighting for independance from British??

Now thats funny. will you become a gay because gay marriage is legalised- seriously?

And what if some one does becomes gay by choice. that makes it more "sinner"?:rolleyes:

Oh please parades are part of the social changes needed in this country, the same way we need parades for legalising prositution.

16. i cant even understand how religion came up in this issue ...
    are u sure u stand for LGBTs rights or just anything that can allows u to
    bash Mainstream religions ?

I have no phobia and u are entitled to ur views

Abnormal is their behavior not them ....
    and Exceptions ....ofcourse they are . . . .

Go convert all the world to Heterosexuals . . .and there wont be any thing needing fixed .
    Go convert all the world to homosexuals and you wont have anything left to fix . . .

which way is normal . . .Go figure !

17. Bangalorean

This is the problem! People who go around trying to "convert" people's sexuality by sending them to psychiatrists or godmen! :frusty:

Read the OP, get rid of your "conversion ideas". And if you are not married, pray that you don't get a lesbian wife who has been forced by her parents to try to "convert her sexuality". And no, you won't get your threesomes, in case that thought crossed your mind.

18. This honestly doesn't even deserve a reply . . . . haven't seen a more apple and oranges case. . .!!

Go convince all the world to Homosexuals for all i care ...and we'll have an end to all the world's problem ....with the world ofcourse !

^
    thank God for you posting this
    After this i can without feeling any lesser
    safely stop bothering to reply to you

19. Mad Indian

See the point I was making is the way you counted homosexuals as abnormal. So i made my point saying all religions are uniquely abnormal creations of man-Fact.

Show me one one Animal Species, which has "Faith"?:dude:. so by your logic on unnatural/abnormal behavior, we should ban all religions as they are unnnatural and hence we should have violence against all religious parades -right?

That was to make how the abnormality talk itself is adsurb, so that rest of my points can be easy:heh:

I never said you have. No idea where you read you were accused of it:noidea:

and what gives you right to judge them/their behaviour?

Lets convert India into a Hindu society since we form the Majority. Your argument is akin to that, that majority is right and hence heterosexuals are right?:dude:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Nagraj likes this.
  20. ohh puhhlease i m presenting a hypothetical situation to make a point about normal and abnormal

you can as well read it this
    Imagine a world where all are Heterosexuals......
    Imagine a world where all are homosexuals. . .

21. i m sorry it has absolutely nothing to do with Majority . . . .

If u can do what programmers call dry Run ....

Start with a society where all are homosexuals ...

and start with a society where all are Heterosexuals ...

and fast foward it 100 yrs ...
    I think u'll get my point

I m not judging anyone . . .
    i m just showing which way the River flows