Chakra's Weapons

trackwhack

Ok, so the sub is here. We have a general idea of the weaponry. Can we discuss a little more in detail what the likely permutations of torpedos, CM etc

Calling Dr. Somnath, p2p Kunal, Saya and other experts. :)

trackwhack

Still reading about the sub, this lil beauty can take out half of the South Sea fleet before the Chins even know what hit them. :)

john70

Country flag
India has promised not to arm the submarine with nuclear-tipped cruise missiles under its obligations to international treaties it adopted after conducting a series of atomic tests in the 1990s.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
are we getting SAM to hunt down ASW Helicopters and Planes ... ????
also we are definitely not getting those long range SLCM

Design
.... has a double-hulled configuration with a distinctive high aft fin.
.... hull has seven compartments, stand-off distance between the outer and inner hulls is considerable thus reducing the possible inner hull damage.
.... retractable masts viewed from bow to stern are the periscopes ( ... :heh:), radar antennae, radio and satellite communications and navigation masts.

....Missiles
.... carry up to 12 Granit SLCM (3,000km range and delivers a 200kt warhead with CEP of 150m) fired from the 533mm torpedo .....................launch tubes.
.... Anti-Ship Missiles
.... Novator SS-N-15 Starfish (fired from the 533mm tubes, has range of 45km)
.... Novator SS-N-16 Stallion (fired from the 650mm tubes, has a range of 100km)
.... bot of these can be armed with a 200kt warhead or a type 40 torpedo.

An air defence capability is provided by a Strela SA-N-5/8 portable missile launcher with 18 missiles. .... :hmm: ...are we getting this ( high probability for NO)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Akula can carry out stealth patrols, Its a attack submarine...

Regarding SAM, French Mica can be fired from Scorpions as well as other Subs having 533 & 600mm torpedo tubes, Akula can fire too..

It carry Klub Missiles to engage surface battle groups from 300kms away..

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
i think we can have nuke capable missile that would cover less than 300KM but that would be funny lol

And what about Sagarika

Last edited:

trackwhack

Request a Mod to clean this thread up.

My question was specific to the weapons systems combinations considering the limit of storage space. How many of what kind assuming we deploy it in SCS to protect ONGC assets.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Request a Mod to clean this thread up.

My question was specific to the weapons systems combinations considering the limit of storage space. How many of what kind assuming we deploy it in SCS to protect ONGC assets.
If we explore oil in south China sea then we have already made it clear that Security
will be provided by Vietnam Navy

And Vietnam needs 5 years at least more to be able to build up its capabilities

trackwhack

Naval Chief said that IN will protect ONGC assets. Not VN.

There is a reason that ONGC drilling was delayed till mid of this year. The reason was Chakra I think.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Naval Chief said that IN will protect ONGC assets. Not VN.

There is a reason that ONGC drilling was delayed till mid of this year. The reason was Chakra I think.
Naval chief initially might have said that , because no Navy chief will say that we
cannot provide security

But later on when Vietnam PM came to India it was the official statement of GOI that India will
only invest money But security is Vietnam's concern

We cannot up the ante so much at least not now

Let US and all ASEAN countries come together on this oil exploration issue in the South china sea

Every body wants oil as well as protection from US navy CBGs

India cannot go in alone

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I hate to say this but even over a long time, deployment of something like Chakra sub in SCS might not find any comfortable approval from Vietnam. Our entire bet in SCS depends vastly on Viet govt's stand. It demands a great level of diplomacy if Chakra in SCS is supposed to carry kind of ammunition mentioned earlier.

trackwhack

The sub does not need to be in Vietnams waters. It can stay in international waters. If ONGC is attacked will IN respond is the question. If IN responds then naturally Chakra must get involved. Else what is the point in having paid a billion+ for it?

Neil

Country flag
The sub does not need to be in Vietnams waters. It can stay in international waters. If ONGC is attacked will IN respond is the question. If IN responds then naturally Chakra must get involved. Else what is the point in having paid a billion+ for it?

sir....as far as china is concerned there is no international water lane in south china sea all belongs to them...which means any deployment of assets will be seen hostile from china's point of view...highly doubtful china will attack it though....it will be an act of aggression and result in full blown war....

i would rather go for a ship deployment than a sub....

trackwhack

Who gives a shit what China claims. Vietnam is our friend and we have to be sensitive to their needs. So if they say our sub cannot be in their waters fair enough, we stay outside their waters but still cover our assets. Of course there has to be surface deployments too. A Delhi class destroyer and a couple of frigates wont be too bad.

btw. China claims practically half the world. They claim the entire Americas but have yet to make an 'official claim' :lol:

Last edited:

trackwhack

In fact INS Mumbai complemented by INS Talwar and INS Teg (commission scheduled for this month) patrolling around ONGC drilling areas will make for a pretty sight. Of course Chakra itself will be out of sight.

trackwhack

Another question is are we allowed to deploy our own cruise missiles on the Chakra?

trackwhack

So an obvious inclusion over the next couple of years would be the K-15 with conventional warheads or Shaurya? Does the Shaurya's lenghth and girth allow it to be incorporated into the Chakra?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
With 533mm tubes it will have regular Type 65 torpedos.

Most probably it will be armed with Club missiles. I am not sure if these clubs will be on older platform or the new universal VLS solution.

If its the VLS then there is room for Brahmos Corp to come out with their proposals.

Also not sure about mines it may carry. Those IN configs will never come out in open public domain.

pmaitra

Sorry, I think I should have been clear about it. Russia is not allowed to transfer N-tipped ballistic missiles with this submarine. Can India install her own N-missiles? IDK.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles