Canadian Export of Asbestos to India- Why the Indian Government has failed to ban it.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I have this medium on my finger tips now therefore would like to learn from Indians about the reason why nobody is raising their voice against the use of Asbestos by Indian industries. This as you know is banned in the westren countries. This a known cancer causing material and in my opinion people of India should join in a rally and force the ban of this cancer from the industrial use once for all.

I am living in Canada where they are removing Asbestos from old buildings as well as our nations Parliament. If it is a health hazard for our public than the question is why not for the rest of people around the globe.
I would like to request who ever reads my concers about health of your people to start an AWARENESS PROGRAMME and expand it all over India to bring pressure upon the Government to put an end to import of a KILLER material.

I hope we can do some positive change through the medium of INTERNET.

Thank you for your time in reading this request for help.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Ther are relevant laws on use os asbestos in India, I will have to dig them out. However earlier we used to see regular use of asbestos sheets on roofs of sheds in India but for a long time they have switched over to cement sheets. I believe this was due to some ruling by the govt.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Canada removed asbestos from public buildings and domestic consumption since the 80s and 90s along with the U.S.

Why India continues to hush the alarm bells from ringing is a mystery to me. 30 years down the road when an educated and able populace infected with cancer is able to defend itself in court, is that when Indian government will react?
It is about time that labour leaders in India should sit down with the Ministry of labour and health to discuss the issue with them. I am going to gather the information from this end and start the dialogue with labour leaders, who will be time defined to deliver the result. If they fail to do so I am going to make it my personal agenda to bring an end to import and use once for all. When I start the mission there is no force to stop me from reaching my goal.

It is not 30 years down the road but it is already happening. Let me paint a picture for you to visualise what happens when one member of the family works with the material the asbestos sticks to his clothes and is therefore transported to his house. As a result of this whole family getss inflicted with the lung disease and leads to slow death.

I saw the documentary on local CBC TV programme. You can go and google about it to learn the facts.

I thank you for your intrest in my concern. With best of regards and wishing you good health.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Ther are relevant laws on use os asbestos in India, I will have to dig them out. However earlier we used to see regular use of asbestos sheets on roofs of sheds in India but for a long time they have switched over to cement sheets. I believe this was due to some ruling by the govt.
Thank you for your interest in my post. I saw a documentary on our CBC TV some time ago and that left me dumfounded as how come Canada values the lives Indians not worth saving but giving them the disease for life and let the whole family die slow death.

India has lot of laws on the book only nothing much is taken seriously. I am going to make my life long mission to put an end to importation and ban the use of Asbestos. I will be starting correspondence with the industry, labour, health and as well as media people to get coverage to this cause.

I will appreciate all the help I can get from individuals like you.

Thank you once again for your offer to help me.

Best of regards and wishing you good health.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Are you trying to kill the economy of Asbestos Quebec? You would try to kill economic prosperity of Quebecois! :laugh:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Are you trying to kill the economy of Asbestos Quebec? You would try to kill economic prosperity of Quebecois! :laugh:
Armand2Rep:

Relax take a deep breath and look at the facts. It is only $90 million indstry in this country accordidng to Jeffery Simpson of the Globe And Mail newspaper. If you research the human loss from its use mostly in the Asian countries it will run in to many times that of total of $90 million. We in Quebec can always find other ways to generate revenue to replace the loss from asbestos ban.

The production and use of asbestos inflicts the disease on the whole family since workers carry the very fine particles of it to their respective homes whch has been proven in the documentary which was broadcast over the CBC TV programme. You can do the google search for the same.

No matter what Canadian government does I am not going to sit back and let this be a business as usual. The fight has just begun more is coming their way (The Miners).

With best of regards and wishing you good health.

I hope you will tell us more about France as well.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No one makes you buy it. Nations should be smart enough not to buy poison.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I did not accuse any country. If you feel so much love for Quebec that you are more concerned about $90 million that is generated as revenue for Quebec, why not come here and start something new to replace the loss of your $90 million dollars.

We are going to force importing countries to put an end to this slow death of hard working labour force and their families as well. It is their birth right to be able to live a dignified life as we enjoy in the industrialised countries

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
Why would Union govt do it? It would deprive Cong of a big stick to bash Modi. Do you know ship breaking is done at Alang, Gujarat, where ships having asbestos too can be brought.

... even if some nations are criminal enough to produce it. Sure, man sure.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Roofing industry has moved from asbestos to CR sheets. These are cold rolled steel sheets. To some extend, cement fibre sheets are used.

I am not sure to what extent asbestos is used in any other construction activity.

Asbestos is certainly used in Industry but there are moves to move towards asbestos free production.

I remember there was a huge outcry when a French aircraft carrier with a lots of asbestos was headed to Alang in Gujarat for dismantling. The Supreme Court stopped the shop from being dismantled in Alang. The ship went back.

I think slowly India will move away from Asbestos.

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
Unfortunately, India has not given up asbestos. It is being produced. Its production and use should be banned completely. But that is a long way in coming.

There is a certain pesticide, name eludes, which is sought to be banned in 3 years. But its manufacture will continue and exported to China.

Asbestos became popular as it does not deteriorate and lasts longer CI sheets. It is fire proof.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles